Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am not sure if my comment brought this on. I never thought that the idea of breaking bread could seem foreign or intrusive to others. Having guests over for food has always been a way to connect with friends (kind of like playing poker, or bridge or quilting) and the almighty BBQ is always a good way to get to know the neighbors. I assumed that 'dinner parties' were more prevalent in the 'country', but I guess that it is more of a city folk thing?
I have never lived anywhere in Maine where an invitation to dinner was considered an intrusion. Dinner parties, poker games and bbq's are not only quite acceptable, they're welcomed! Make food and they will come. It is always quite common for any nice guest to offer to bring something to contribute to the meal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
NMLM I'm glad you remarked on that, it's something I thought of too. Growing up we didn't go out to dinner at other people's houses....part of that is simply because of the type of work most people did--working on the water, agriculture, fish factories, mills.....all jobs where the work hours change. My parents did have a group of people that they played poker with on Saturday nights, and people would stop by for a cup of coffee, but not really meals at other's houses.

And MRV I think you're right about the dynamics, and also in part that out of the best friends I had in high school only one still lived in this area when I moved back....the others are scattered, some in state and some away.
Yep, Miss M already informed me that one of DH's great aunts (or 3rd cousin, maybe) came over on Saturdays for poker.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I'm looking forward to our next dinner. Nothing fancy, but a nice meal when the work in the house is finished and the diningroom table isn't in the office and the kitchen doesn't have a collection of paint cans. We haven't had friends over in months.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 AM

47 posts, read 123,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
My sister moved last year with her son and his family to Sidney. That is where I will be heading in a couple of months.
She told me that over the Christmas holidays, the area that they live in, is like a half circle with about 7-10 houses around. One of the couples invited all the people in the neighborhood over one evening just so they could get together and have some food and drinks and get to know who lives in the neighborhood and get to know each other.
I thought that was really nice and neighborly. She said they had a really nice time and plan on doing more.
We live on one of those semi-circle cul-de-sacs in Sidney and we have invited the neighbors over. It's a good neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine