Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 40,056 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have come to the age where sailing is no longer possible for us. Sadly, we discovered this fact after first buying a beautiful day sailer (17 foot cat-ketch hand-built on plans by N. Herreshoff) and then moving to Maine with plans to sail as long as we could. Luckily we are otherwise happy to be here, but sailing is just not in the cards.

We have decided to donate the boat to a non-profit that would be able to use her in a program with kids - ideally including children who otherwise don't get the chance to enjoy sailing. She has been wintered indoors, has only been sailed a few times since she was built. There is a brand new set of sails (two total) various equipment included-- fenders, custom cushions, compass, solar bailer, extra rudder and tiller, anchor just-refurbished trailer, etc.

We've tried a couple of places to donate her without success, so I'm turning to this forum to see if any ideas are forthcoming.

Of course, if someone is interested in owning and sailing her we would be delighted to sell her. It is just heartbreaking every year to have her sit unused in the yard.

EPB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 01:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
You might want to check out " Kars- 4- Kids". They sell the cars, boats, Rv's etc and the money goes towards their charities for kids with cancer. We donated a 32' Winnebago motor home to them 2 and half years ago. You must have the title and they will send you out the form for the 'bill of sale of donation".

They give you the transaction paper for your receipt for your taxes and is tax deductable.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:58 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
More likely than not, donating a boat to a place like Kars-For-Kids etc may have the boat sold for cash to help, as opposed to the boat itself being utilized for your wishes.

Maybe you could call a local YMCA or childrens camp, ask if they are a 501(c)(3), and donate directly to an organization that will use the boat, and in turn will provide you documentation for a tax deduction.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
More likely than not, donating a boat to a place like Kars-For-Kids etc may have the boat sold for cash to help, as opposed to the boat itself being utilized for your wishes.

Maybe you could call a local YMCA or childrens camp, ask if they are a 501(c)(3), and donate directly to an organization that will use the boat, and in turn will provide you documentation for a tax deduction.
Of course.
I remember reading something like "Northwoods Law" has a camp for kids. Teaches them boating,fishing, and even hunting skills. Part of that article was also to point out that private donations of boats etc was part of the organization.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/aboutus/new...html?id=642530

The other thought was other 4H groups.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:45 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Years ago the IRS change the rule on donations like cars, boats .... You don't get the letter from the charity until after the item is sold.

Most go to auction, so the price they (The 3rd Party get for running it) is lower then the value if the item can be used by the charity.

If the charity uses the asset, you need to have some sort of 3rd party assessment done of the value. (In writing) from say a boat dealer. That you can use for your taxes.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:38 PM

319 posts, read 346,456 times
You might call the foster care program in your county and social services. Often they have nonprofits they contract with that run summer camps for foster kids, lower income kids, and kids with disabilities or terminal illnesses that would probably love to have your boat and give lots of kids the chance to sail on it.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:53 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Maine Maritime Academy

Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Beat me to it, AustinB. That is my recommendation. It's a classic design and a classic boat. Sailing teaches planning.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Lots of Yacht Clubs available.

I'm not sure that mine in Bar Harbor would be interested since they already have more small 17 footers than they can use. But I'm betting the the Southwest Harbor Saling Club, or Yacht Club there would take it.

Most of them have websites, so just look on GOOGLE with the towns nearest to you and Yacht club, and your will lots of options.

Not sure if Maine Maritime has lots of little kids, AustinB.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:45 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
They give you a tax credit and then sell the boat. They don't necessarily keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: