Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 AM

86 posts, read 106,772 times

Advertisements

Here's a question?

My wife is 100% polish and her family came here from Poland. I was down in Freeport this past November and was walking the shops and the street just asking people if they like polish food. Example: Pierogi's, Kielbasa, Golumpki, etc.....and I also asked them how well they think a small market in the Freeport area would do. The market would have juices, candy, meats, bread etc...Nothing to crazy.

Most people said that they liked polish food and it was about a 50/50 split on if it would do well in the area...

My thoughts are what is your opinion on the topic and if it would be well receptive in the state of Maine or a total flop..I have only seen one market in Portland ME, and I know we could crush them in business.

Thanks for the help and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
I think that would be a Great idea ! Not sure where you are planning to have this, so I would suggest a place that also had a tourist draw.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:16 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
Here's a question?

My wife is 100% polish and her family came here from Poland. I was down in Freeport this past November and was walking the shops and the street just asking people if they like polish food. Example: Pierogi's, Kielbasa, Golumpki, etc.....and I also asked them how well they think a small market in the Freeport area would do. The market would have juices, candy, meats, bread etc...Nothing to crazy.

Most people said that they liked polish food and it was about a 50/50 split on if it would do well in the area...

My thoughts are what is your opinion on the topic and if it would be well receptive in the state of Maine or a total flop..I have only seen one market in Portland ME, and I know we could crush them in business.

Thanks for the help and opinions!
I went to the Polish place in Portland because it was the only one. My heritage is Ukraine and my grandmother made pierogies, potato pancakes, latca bread from scratch and a kielbasa connection I craved a good place to go while I lived there. I would recommend opening up a place on Congress street or the Old Port you would get a lot of traffic from the big business there.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 AM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
I am Polish also and sounds like it might have some potential. Maybe do some more research and find out where a good place to put a place would be.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 AM

461 posts, read 796,403 times
Open one in Kittery, I'm originally from Chicago and would kill for some "real" Polish food!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Open one in Kittery, I'm originally from Chicago and would kill for some "real" Polish food!
OP I agree, I know that feeling.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM

639 posts, read 579,074 times
I would look to other states and see how they do in an area without a large polish demo. I'm polish, I don't dislike polish food but I don't know if I'd seek it out. If you open it though, I will come.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I went to the Polish place in Portland because it was the only one. My heritage is Ukraine and my grandmother made pierogies, potato pancakes, latca bread from scratch and a kielbasa connection I craved a good place to go while I lived there. I would recommend opening up a place on Congress street or the Old Port you would get a lot of traffic from the big business there.

I would be making my own homemade kielbasa on site if possible...I currently sell them now to co-workers, friends, and neighbors...All the people I know state we should open something in the food business and we are seasoned in making all old country polish food.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 AM

The biggest challenge I see, is educating people on some of the polish culture in terms or food names...Some people made be turned off by a name or a look of a type of meat...My goal would be to have a sample of a meat or something every other day to help people gain some knowledge and also can explore what they like.

I just had some homemade beet soup yesterday with rye bread on the side...One Word..YUM!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Cool. I'm Polish and my wife and kids all have perfected the art of cooking authentic Polish cuisine which is out there if you look for it. I suspect that an attractive deli offering up both some of the comfort foods along with some of the harder to get items (smoked whitefish for instance) and maybe import some of the interesting canned tins cooking implements might go a long way there. It would certainly something totally different that exists in Freeport right now. I'll bet, however, that finding floor-space for a deli like that will be pricey. Still, worth the work on the demographics to see if it would work. Maybe you can put a cart on the corner initially and offer up some of the more normal fare as an example of what you would have available and see how the public takes to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine