Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM

100 posts, read 206,326 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy land in Penobscot County outside of Burlington.

Besides being a "from away" I wonder if you'd be so kind as to share some Maine wisdom! I grew up in a Boston suburb but have lived in New Hampshire for 30 years now. I live on the MA/NH line near VT. As much as I have loved NH and raised my family on a small family farm here, I crave a more solitary existence close to the land. If you've lived in southern NH on this side of the state (Mount Monadnock), it has its own flavor as so many pockets do. I'd really love to hear what some of the differences are.

Snow doesn't scare me any. I'm interested in the governance, lifestyle, uniqueness that makes Maine so wonderful. With that, I submit to you!

Hope your holiday is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Welcome

We live in Penobscot County and we enjoy it very much.

Consider the UTs, I think they are offer much nicer living then the organized towns offer.

I moved here in 2005.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Consider the UTs, I think they are offer much nicer living then the organized towns offer.
Thanks Submariner! Im looking at a small piece of land in Lowell. It's a 5.5hr drive from here so it's hard to get a feel for the area. It hasn't been logged out and seems fairly secluded. Just what I want to build my little cabin and keep my ducks. BTW .... what is "UTs"?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,312 times
Unorginized territory. Assuming im correct they have lower taxes, no towncharter, and i think are ran by the state.

Are all town charters thise funky a112b names, or do some have actual names?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
All of Maine was drawn on a 'plate' grid-work of townships. Every township being numbered. When a town organizes to be a business, they get to chose a name for themselves instead of using the numbering system.
At that point the town may hire selectmen, a town clerk, lawyer, tax-collector and they must begin raising taxes to pay for all of the salaries of these people they hire; along with any extra 'essential' costs [like rods and schools], plus they still must pay a set Mill-Rate to the County [for the county budget] and to the state [for the state budget].

Land-owners in an Unorganized Township [UT] pay taxes directly to the state. This covers all expenses of the County and state to provide: roads, Law Enforcement and schools.

UT residents do not pay the added layer of taxes for: a town hall, selectmen, clerks, tax-collectors, local PF / FD, city parks and rec, metro bus service, etc.

Sometimes an Organized Township will decide to become an Unorganized Township, or to burn their charter. Usually as a method of reducing their property tax Mill-Rate.

So far in Maine we have had 41 Organized Townships go through the process of becoming Unorganized Townships. The latest Township to go through this process was Oxbow in Aroostook County, who did it in 2015. I live in a UT, this UT burned their charter in the 1970s.

52% of townships in Maine are Unorganized Townships. While only a minority of towns in Maine are organized.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:01 PM

Thank you Gentlemen! I didn't see anywhere that mentioned the status of Lowell. I love that its so small. I wish I could get a feel for the area. Im not really a social person and prefer spending my time in the forest, garden, and working with my animals. Not that I don't get along with others.. I'm just hermity type. LOL From what I could glean so far it looks like my kind of heaven. Looking forward to getting up there in the new year! Merry Christmas/solstice/etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine