Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM

86 posts, read 105,700 times

Advertisements

Afternoon All,

I wanted to get a feeler out on if there were any carpenters or contractors with experience in putting up log cabin kits.

Still pondering the idea of which route I am going to head in, but to know of people in the Poland ME area or surrounding towns that would be willing to give a guy a hand would make my decision a little easier.

I am not dumb bell, but never handled putting up an actual number log cabin kit etc...I'm not rich but would do the best I can in compensation for time etc...Beverages and food would definitely be supplied.

If I can get some Mainers help on the project, that surely would be appreciated.

Thanks all..

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 05:03 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,091,799 times
About 18 years ago I put together a Shelter-kit house with only the help of my then 14 year old son and my wife. Post and beam, 2 floors, 20 x 24 feet.

I can't speak to the log cabin, but the Shelter-Kit(google it), was not that hard to put together. Hundreds of pieces, thousands of nails. I even did it without electricity or scaffolding.

It had eight posts that had to have the pins within a 1/4 inch on a 42 foot diagonal---so I hired a contractor to dig the holes, put in the concrete posts, and set the pins. And since I started with about 8 days at the middle of August, and then weekends after that(it was a dry fall luckily), by late october, I hired the same contractor to put the shingles on the roof, so that the house was sealed for winter.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,595,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
I'm not rich but would do the best I can in compensation for time etc...Beverages and food would definitely be supplied
You get what you pay for......LOL. Dont be surprised if you get a bunch of idiots who mess everything up.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You get what you pay for......LOL. Dont be surprised if you get a bunch of idiots who mess everything up.
Yea that wouldn't be a bright spot in my day..lol

Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
About 18 years ago I put together a Shelter-kit house with only the help of my then 14 year old son and my wife. Post and beam, 2 floors, 20 x 24 feet.

I can't speak to the log cabin, but the Shelter-Kit(google it), was not that hard to put together. Hundreds of pieces, thousands of nails. I even did it without electricity or scaffolding.

It had eight posts that had to have the pins within a 1/4 inch on a 42 foot diagonal---so I hired a contractor to dig the holes, put in the concrete posts, and set the pins. And since I started with about 8 days at the middle of August, and then weekends after that(it was a dry fall luckily), by late october, I hired the same contractor to put the shingles on the roof, so that the house was sealed for winter.

Hey Sly,

Any pictures of your shelter-kit house you put together...I googled it...Any recommendations on sites to check out etc...

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 AM

77 posts, read 83,415 times
Here's a site I had bookmarked a while ago for a place in NH. I liked it because they do all the cuts (math) for you
Owner-Built House, Cabin and Barn Kits from Shelter-Kit®

or you could go this route Green Magic Homes, green houses, ecologic earth covered homes

Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Anyone do a Butt & Pass log cabin or camp...Been reading up on it and it states its better than a cabin kit?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
For planning purposes, logs shrink. They don't shrink much in length, but they shrink quite a bit in thickness. Leave 2 inches over your door frame and at least an inch over windows. I had a customer who had a cabin built from log ends of various lengths. The builder did not allow for shrinkage. The cabin settled and when the owner came up for hunting season he unlocked the door, but the door would not open. He called me in a panic. His wife was not happy.

I already had my 8# sledge hammer in the truck. I put a log against the bottom of the door and bashed it. The door moved about 1/8 inch. A bash on the top and then alternating and the door opened. "Would you like the door to close?" Well, yes. I got out my chain saw and made a 1 1/2 inch opening over the door. Wifey was horrified when I got out the chain saw. I had to raise the door mortise for the latch.

Logs shrink. Remember that.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM

165 posts, read 173,585 times
We bought a log home kit in Maine in 1999. The logs arrived kiln-dried, and did not shrink.

The company from which we got our kit is no longer extant, alas. If they were, I would heartily recommend them.

We drew what we wanted. They delivered it with a diagram. Each log was clearly marked where it fit in the diagram. We got 11 friends, 5 30 packs of beer and bunch of cases of water, my mother-in-law's fried chicken and salads, and the whole thing went up in one day. (Of course, we had the foundation and deck ready when the logs arrived.) We also hired a contractor experienced in log home construction to be on-site that first day and consult. We got his name from the company from whom we bought the kit. He was great.

The rafters and roofing were another matter because my husband did it with one friend, but all the logs were in place at the end of that one day in August. We hired subcontactors for many aspects, certainly, but all the logs took to put together was a good diagram, lots of willing muscles, and a fair amount of beer.

Our house is just over 1200 sf.

If you're going to be financing you should be aware that the log home company will want all their money when they deliver, and many bank construction loans won't pay for any given aspect until it's done. The banks are out there who will work with you, though, so look around.

Our home is tight, low-maintenance, cool when it's hot out and warm when it's cold out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a log home to anyone.

Good luck! I hope you'll be able to make it work!

Ps: we would gladly come help for food and beer but we're hundreds of miles away. Ask the log home company to suggest a contractor and hire him for a day, then call a bunch of friends. You can do it!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
We bought a log home kit in Maine in 1999. The logs arrived kiln-dried, and did not shrink.

The company from which we got our kit is no longer extant, alas. If they were, I would heartily recommend them.

We drew what we wanted. They delivered it with a diagram. Each log was clearly marked where it fit in the diagram. We got 11 friends, 5 30 packs of beer and bunch of cases of water, my mother-in-law's fried chicken and salads, and the whole thing went up in one day. (Of course, we had the foundation and deck ready when the logs arrived.) We also hired a contractor experienced in log home construction to be on-site that first day and consult. We got his name from the company from whom we bought the kit. He was great.

The rafters and roofing were another matter because my husband did it with one friend, but all the logs were in place at the end of that one day in August. We hired subcontactors for many aspects, certainly, but all the logs took to put together was a good diagram, lots of willing muscles, and a fair amount of beer.

Our house is just over 1200 sf.

If you're going to be financing you should be aware that the log home company will want all their money when they deliver, and many bank construction loans won't pay for any given aspect until it's done. The banks are out there who will work with you, though, so look around.

Our home is tight, low-maintenance, cool when it's hot out and warm when it's cold out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a log home to anyone.

Good luck! I hope you'll be able to make it work!

Ps: we would gladly come help for food and beer but we're hundreds of miles away. Ask the log home company to suggest a contractor and hire him for a day, then call a bunch of friends. You can do it!

Sounds good....I just found out in the town of Poland ME that there is no restrictions for square footage on a Pier & Post Design 42" frost line....Anything under 600 sq ft requires a slab 10 ft tall E heights...anything over 600 sq ft 42" below frost..solid rock, shallow foundation, slab heated to 60 degrees plus or do a ASE 32 Design....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: