Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 AM

201 posts, read 195,067 times

Advertisements

I've not been overly impressed (understatement) with Mr. LePage, however I think this is a case where he was not thinking before he spoke. In comparison other times he seems to be trying to intentionally be a fool. Fact is, Maine is mostly white, so by default if someone gets pregnant they are likely going to be white. There will always be young lost people that seek out bad boys regardless of race.

Like it or not, Mainers voted in the guy for a second term, so the responsibility lies there.
It's too late now but people dissatisfied with him should have put up (ran) or shut up.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGator View Post
I've not been overly impressed (understatement) with Mr. LePage, however I think this is a case where he was not thinking before he spoke. In comparison other times he seems to be trying to intentionally be a fool. Fact is, Maine is mostly white, so by default if someone gets pregnant they are likely going to be white. There will always be young lost people that seek out bad boys regardless of race.

Like it or not, Mainers voted in the guy for a second term, so the responsibility lies there.
It's too late now but people dissatisfied with him should have put up (ran) or shut up.
Maine is mostly White. I know this from statistics. No one is denying that. However, there are Black and Hispanic women in Maine as well, and especially in Portland and Lewiston. The governor is to represent ALL of Maine's residents, not just those of a particular race. Of course by default there are more White women getting pregnant just by sheer numbers.

I feel like the government just exposed his own bigoted feelings.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Paul LePage opens his big fat mouth up once again. Gov. Paul Lepage Says

Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
I don't blame him. I might have done the same. I like it a lot better when people say what they really mean, instead of just blowing smoke up peoples' butts. You don't have to like it, but at least you know where you stand.

Personally, sometimes I think that some things demand an uncouth response.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I don't blame him. I might have done the same. I like it a lot better when people say what they really mean, instead of just blowing smoke up peoples' butts. You don't have to like it, but at least you know where you stand.

Personally, sometimes I think that some things demand an uncouth response.
Well, I do blame him. He didn't have to go on a racial tirade. He could have said "we have a drug problem, we need to step it up and do something about it".

Blowing smoke up people's butts means lying to them. You can address a problem, and be honest, without alienating alot of people. Big difference between being honest and being ugly. Big difference between blowing smoke up someone's butt and having tact.

My delivery: "We have a problem with drugs in our state. We have drug dealers in our state and from outside of our state dealing drugs and causing problems. We must stand up to them and let them know that their criminal activities will not be tolerated".

This did not demand an uncouth, racially motivated response. This requires leadership, standing up to criminals no matter who they are. Criminals are the enemy, and they can be anyone.

And why would you have done the same thing?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
"If those women can't keep their legs closed, well, that is on them." green_mariner, do you really think any woman gets pregnant by herself?

I heard LePage say (paraphrased) he had a 3-ring binder notebook containing information about drug dealers and over 90% of them were not white. Until I read this thread, I hadn't heard that out-of-state males, some of whom may be drug dealers have been impregnating women in Maine. I imagine there are some in-state drug dealers doing the same or becoming pregnant.

Some people care about statistics as in the racial percentages as it pertains to those living in towns, cities, counties, states. Add to that convicted felons and prison statistics, racial statistics regarding business ownership, home ownership, domestic violence, welfare recipients, various crimes, etc. Then there are statistics about income--individual, family, average, etc. ...statistics about education levels of individuals, high school graduates, college graduates ... City-data is a wealth of statistical information. I think everyone knows that people of all races commit crimes and impregnate and get pregnant if they are willing and able.

I had heard a black man was charged in the murder of his live-in white girlfriend and her two white kids (he was not their father). She was from Hancock County living in Garland. Boyfriend charged with murder of Garland woman, children - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...News/140929593 Another boyfriend charged with murder of girlfriend (Lewiston) ... I googled to see how many would show up.

Do all boyfriends kill their girlfriends and/or their kids? I certainly hope not.

Most serial killers are white. Is that a racially charged statement? or is a statement only racially charged if the race mentioned is not Caucasian?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
"If those women can't keep their legs closed, well, that is on them." green_mariner, do you really think any woman gets pregnant by herself?

I heard LePage say (paraphrased) he had a 3-ring binder notebook containing information about drug dealers and over 90% of them were not white. Until I read this thread, I hadn't heard that out-of-state males, some of whom may be drug dealers have been impregnating women in Maine. I imagine there are some in-state drug dealers doing the same or becoming pregnant.

Some people care about statistics as in the racial percentages as it pertains to those living in towns, cities, counties, states. Add to that convicted felons and prison statistics, racial statistics regarding business ownership, home ownership, domestic violence, welfare recipients, various crimes, etc. Then there are statistics about income--individual, family, average, etc. ...statistics about education levels of individuals, high school graduates, college graduates ... City-data is a wealth of statistical information. I think everyone knows that people of all races commit crimes and impregnate and get pregnant if they are willing and able.

I had heard a black man was charged in the murder of his live-in white girlfriend and her two white kids (he was not their father). She was from Hancock County living in Garland. Boyfriend charged with murder of Garland woman, children - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Boyfriend of Maine woman to be charged with murder - News - seacoastonline.com - Portsmouth, NH Another boyfriend charged with murder of girlfriend (Lewiston) ... I googled to see how many would show up.

Do all boyfriends kill their girlfriends and/or their kids? I certainly hope not.

Most serial killers are white. Is that a racially charged statement? or is a statement only racially charged if the race mentioned is not Caucasian?
I never said they got pregnant by themselves. I'm saying the women should share some responsibility. If you aren't responsible enough to pick a good spouse, to make sure you are in decent shape before procreating, that is your fault.

Well, I am one of those persons who looks at statistics like this. Does it really matter what race that person was(unless you're trying to catch a wanted person) if a crime was committed? What is the importance of know the racial statistics other than to say "we don't want this race of people here"? And if that is the case, then can you blame me for taking issues with this?

Okay, you heard a Black man killed his White girlfriend. Do you know how many Black children get abused by their mothers, and die in the processs?Or does the only thing that matters is when Black men are perpetrating things against White females? Did you take into account that said woman got hooked up with a hood rat? Would it matter if a White male killed his White girlfriend?

I am saying that Paul LePage is idiotic. Those women getting pregnant by drug dealers and hood rats(of any race) aren't exactly innocent. They had a choice too. They could have said no. Unless it's rape, it was consensual.

And who cares what race most serial killers are? If said person is a serial killer, said person must be stopped.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:27 AM

I was hoping to stimulate some discussion. Maybe LePage didn't need to make the pregnancy statement but I see nothing wrong with him talking about the 3-ring binder with info about drug dealers stating that over 90% of them are not Caucasian. Seems like it would be pretty easy to verify this statement by examining the info in the 3-ring binder.

Yes, of course, I took into account that the murdered white woman got hooked up with the black man of her own choice. I doubt she knew in advance that he was going to murder her and her two children. The news story mentioned domestic violence prior to the actual murders. The news story didn't state whether or not he was a drug dealer nor whether he had impregnated any women in Maine or elsewhere.

Yes, it definitely matters the race of the criminal that law enforcement is trying to apprehend. This includes drug dealers whether they impregnate anyone or not.

Of course it matters if someone or anyone gets killed (murdered) regardless of the race of the victim and the race of the killer. Are you saying all women should share responsibility with regard to getting pregnant or only the white ones? Do the black children who are being abused by their mothers have black mothers or white mothers? What about white children who are abused by their mothers or fathers? Do they matter to you or only the black children who are being abused?

I didn't say the men were entirely to blame for getting women pregnant. I think you should have offered equal coverage (men and women) initially in your comment about women and their legs. It takes two, does it not.

Someone must think race matters; otherwise, the questions would disappear from the census and no one would be compiling statistics.

I think its pretty safe to say that Maine has some criminals born and raised here. Criminals and crime of any kind are undesirable. Maine doesn't need or want more criminals moving into or even just visiting the state if they are committing crimes. ... regardless of race.

I care what race serial killers are and yes they should be stopped. I think law enforcement cares. I think those who gather statistics care. I read that the first serial killer in the U.S. was from Maine, but it appears H. H. Holmes was from Chicago. ... a female serial killer is also mentioned...just a bit of Maine trivia.
Maine Serial Killers
Maybe the author of the book In Search of Maine Urban Legends, wants to peak the interest of potential readers by being intentionally vague in the news story. ... gotta love Maine history.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I was hoping to stimulate some discussion. Maybe LePage didn't need to make the pregnancy statement but I see nothing wrong with him talking about the 3-ring binder with info about drug dealers stating that over 90% of them are not Caucasian. Seems like it would be pretty easy to verify this statement by examining the info in the 3-ring binder.

Yes, of course, I took into account that the murdered white woman got hooked up with the black man of her own choice. I doubt she knew in advance that he was going to murder her and her two children. The news story mentioned domestic violence prior to the actual murders. The news story didn't state whether or not he was a drug dealer nor whether he had impregnated any women in Maine or elsewhere.

Yes, it definitely matters the race of the criminal that law enforcement is trying to apprehend. This includes drug dealers whether they impregnate anyone or not.

Of course it matters if someone or anyone gets killed (murdered) regardless of the race of the victim and the race of the killer. Are you saying all women should share responsibility with regard to getting pregnant or only the white ones? Do the black children who are being abused by their mothers have black mothers or white mothers? What about white children who are abused by their mothers or fathers? Do they matter to you or only the black children who are being abused?

I didn't say the men were entirely to blame for getting women pregnant. I think you should have offered equal coverage (men and women) initially in your comment about women and their legs. It takes two, does it not.

Someone must think race matters; otherwise, the questions would disappear from the census and no one would be compiling statistics.

I think its pretty safe to say that Maine has some criminals born and raised here. Criminals and crime of any kind are undesirable. Maine doesn't need or want more criminals moving into or even just visiting the state if they are committing crimes. ... regardless of race.

I care what race serial killers are and yes they should be stopped. I think law enforcement cares. I think those who gather statistics care. I read that the first serial killer in the U.S. was from Maine, but it appears H. H. Holmes was from Chicago. ... a female serial killer is also mentioned...just a bit of Maine trivia.
Maine Serial Killers
Maybe the author of the book In Search of Maine Urban Legends, wants to peak the interest of potential readers by being intentionally vague in the news story. ... gotta love Maine history.
I was hoping to educate you, but I guess that won't happen.

Like I said, the only time race matters is if law enforcement is looking for a description of the criminal involved, in order to apprehend said person. Other than that, a criminal is a criminal, no matter what race said person is.

Notice I said "women", not "White women". All women should share in responsibility of getting pregnant. I can't believe you would ask such a petulant question.

And the reason I brought up Black children being abused was only because you brought up the case of a Black man killing a White woman. I felt you only cared if Blacks were perpetrators of crime and not victims of it.

Why do you care what race the criminals are? At the end of the day, what difference does their race make if a crime is being committed?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was hoping to educate you, but I guess that won't happen.

Like I said, the only time race matters is if law enforcement is looking for a description of the criminal involved, in order to apprehend said person. Other than that, a criminal is a criminal, no matter what race said person is.

Notice I said "women", not "White women". All women should share in responsibility of getting pregnant. I can't believe you would ask such a petulant question.

And the reason I brought up Black children being abused was only because you brought up the case of a Black man killing a White woman. I felt you only cared if Blacks were perpetrators of crime and not victims of it.

Why do you care what race the criminals are? At the end of the day, what difference does their race make if a crime is being committed?
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I was hoping to educate YOU. If race doesn't matter except as YOU say, then why are racial statistics compiled?

Some study criminal behavior -- may even make it their life's work. I read online that some believe that certain people may be genetically more likely to commit a crime such as murder, for example. Now before you go getting all high and mighty, notice I didn't mention or imply that this has anything to do with race so no twisting my words.

I ask questions for clarification and to avoid making assumptions. I like to ask questions to see if people are paying attention and to think about and reexamine what they are thinking and what they are typing/posting. It sometimes identifies those who are not reading all the posts in a thread. It also stimulates discussion. It also helps to identify those with anger issues.

Notice the first boyfriend killed girlfriend link was black guy/white girl. The second link didn't mention race at all that I noticed.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-31-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine