Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM

86 posts, read 106,835 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year to All on here...

I just wanted to get some of yours opinions on camp/cabin model plans...Could be single wide modular's are well....

Been trying to clear my lot and get the site prepped for where a dwelling might go at some point...I would be happy with something 400 sq ft to 850 sq ft....Even just a shell put up and I can run wiring, insulation, etc...Plumbing will be optional as its going to add quiet a bit of costs. Whats thinking of more an insulated water storage tank...Would like it to be 4 seasons if possible...

Any thoughts, ideas, plans, people to contact etc???

Any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 05:20 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Have you actually checked with the town of Poland yet to see what is permissible?

Look in to "MUBEC". Pretty sure 480 sq ft is the minimum size and you'll have to have indoor plumbing in Poland.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
MUBEC does not comprehend camps. The left wing in Maine's legislature is in a lathered up panic about sprawl. Like anthropogenic global warming it does not exist in Maine. It is a progressive bogey man. That said, towns below 2500 population do not need to use building codes. I know where there is a straw bale house under construction for use as a year round home. There is no building code for a straw bale house. It's called freedom.

As I often say on these pages. Choose your town carefully. Just a few activists who want to establish Agenda 21 or ICLEI in a town can bamboozle the citizens to pass these tyrannical laws and kill economic opportunity in your town. I got up at our town meeting years ago and in a heated moment said. "The price of liberty is eternal villagence." I actually said that. The moderator stopped me and said, "You said 'villagence''".

I quickly said, "Villagence is vigilance at the local level." Never give an inch. Just walk into the Poland Town Office and ask if it's OK to build a seasonal camp in Poland.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
I don't disagree, but Poland is over 5000 people, so MUBEC applies, and the OP has said he wants the cabin to be year-round not seasonal.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 AM

86 posts, read 106,835 times
I checked with the town of Poland on building codes, but it was for foundation basis....Under 400 sq ft I can have a gravel base or pier & post...Over 400 sq ft concrete slab...over 850 sqft I believe it was, you need gravel base with heated concrete slab warming slab 60+ year round...

I have yet to walk into the town of Poland office and ask since I live 3.5 hours away...Last time I was up there was day before Christmas eve to meet with a guy clearing the stumps and brush of the 4 acres...Its almost complete but will need to wait til spring etc...

If anyone has built in Poland a camp or cabin, please reach out.....

The only reason I was saying seasonal, is so I can go up there and ice fish....Other than that 3 season depending on laws, might dictate what route....

Its going to be a progression...Little at a time cause of money...Big thing right now is getting lot cleared and graded to prep for grass seed at some point......There is a done of brush and logs down on property from 2 years ago when a guy screwed me over and wiped out my who lot....So I am left spending money for clean up...

When I head back up there in spring and if anyone wants to meet to see if they can take some wood or salvageable pieces, its yours for free.

I always loved the state of Maine and the hospitality of the people that I have came across for the most part is amazing...My great grandfather worked in the shipyards in Portland back in the 1930's and born in Maine, so it hits home to one day move there.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
You'll fit right in.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
The town of Poland has a pretty extensive website covering their rather extensive zoning and building codes: Town of Poland, ME - Frequently Asked Questions

Be careful calling any clearing being done now site work for construction unless you already have a permit, or they will double the fees based on what I read there on their permit application. It's always disturbing to see towns adopt the IBC (international building code) which prohibits using anything except purchased, grade stamped building materials (i.e., no local rough sawn lumber).

Old 01-16-2016, 08:11 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
I checked with the town of Poland on building codes, but it was for foundation basis....Under 400 sq ft I can have a gravel base or pier & post...Over 400 sq ft concrete slab...over 850 sqft I believe it was, you need gravel base with heated concrete slab warming slab 60+ year round...

I have yet to walk into the town of Poland office and ask since I live 3.5 hours away...Last time I was up there was day before Christmas eve to meet with a guy clearing the stumps and brush of the 4 acres...Its almost complete but will need to wait til spring etc...

If anyone has built in Poland a camp or cabin, please reach out.....

The only reason I was saying seasonal, is so I can go up there and ice fish....Other than that 3 season depending on laws, might dictate what route....
Maybe the use of the word 'cabin' throws a bit of confusion into the matter.

There are people who will have a small 400 sq ft cabin they use as a full-time year-round 'dwelling'.

There are other people who will have a large 2,000 sq ft cabin they use as a seasonal 'camp'.

I have found that when talking with Mainers, the real distinguishing terms are 'dwelling' vs 'camp'. Saying 'cabin' just confuses people.

A dwelling is where you plan to live most of the time.

A camp is where you go for vacation. Some people 'go to camp' every weekend, others only 'go to camp' once a year. There are camps in my town that have not been camped in for many years. A camp can have heat and plumbing. Camps do not generally follow the same code as what dwellings follow.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM

605 posts, read 624,180 times
This size falls under "camp" but also "small house," referring to the specific genre that is a step up from a "tiny house" and part of a movement toward smaller year-round houses. To me the small house genre is a creative style that is attractive inside and out, very efficiently laid out, and energy efficient. So not really rustic. Example: Cabin Style House Plan - 1 Beds 1 Baths 600 Sq/Ft Plan #21-108

Google"small house movement."

Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
I'm getting closer and under two years now that I plan to build a small year round cabin on my family property in Dover. I will share pictures and progress when I do. I have already posted pictures before of the cabin. I will need to develop the lot first and then build on it or roll something in. Whatever is the most feasible and practical at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine