Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
So, we have both Klintons, Barak Hussein Obama, and Teddy Moron Kennedy either in Maine or on their way to Maine. The question is how long before Maine becomes just as liberal as Massachusetts? Actually, I am beginning to wonder if Maine already is more liberal than Massachusetts. The only thing that saved MA is they used to have Republican governors who kept the taxes low...now you have a Democrat governor so Massachusetts taxes will probably rival Maine's taxes in a few year...also Maine has a tax cap so it will never get as bad as it is in Maine so that's another thing. But then again...I don't think Mainers would ever vote for Ted the drunk killer Kennedy.

My husband has been begging to leave Maine for 2 years. First his mantra was North Carolina, now Seattle. In speaking to others around the country, the economy is tough everywhere, but yes, we would agree high taxes, big government have helped to kill the Maine economy.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Speaking of walking,... has anyone here have experience with "Nordic Walking Poles"? I've been reading just a bit and they sound like something I may just be interested in. They're kinda like ski poles but, they have a rubber tip for walking on differant surfaces. I have a treadmill (I try to keep moving a bit) but, I have to admit I find it boring as all get out. Maine is a great place to walk outside.
Msina..... OMG....I love you.. What a great way to deal with him.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
My neighbor has walking sticks and swears by them. She firmed her arms up quickly on her twice a day walks. My new snowshoes came with poles. I love them! I'm definitely getting walking sticks in the spring.

Rep points for most everyone. If I didn't give you a point it was because I had to spread the love.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Speaking of walking,... has anyone here have experience with "Nordic Walking Poles"? I've been reading just a bit and they sound like something I may just be interested in. They're kinda like ski poles but, they have a rubber tip for walking on differant surfaces. I have a treadmill (I try to keep moving a bit) but, I have to admit I find it boring as all get out. Maine is a great place to walk outside.
God Bless our Msina for trying to elevate the level of the discussion!
What a priceless treasure.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,561 times
Msina: way to hijack a thread baby! I love it!!!! Sort of like that Nancy Sinatra hit of yesteryear..... these boots are made for walking, walking is what they do, one of the days msina's boots are gonna walk all over you!.....oh, I'm sorry, they just did!

Last edited by maine4.us; 02-07-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
I love walking too! How many of you have snowshoes? I got mine about 4 years ago now, and while I keep trying to remember get them out of the garage, I haven't yet this year. I can't remember the brand either, but they aren't the nice traditional wooden one. They're metal and plastic. The first time I ever used them was to hike up to an old firetower....it was probably early 2001. That same year I had hiked into Bates-Morse *before* I bought the snowshoes, and boy did I wish I'd had them then!! Anyway, the firetower was somewhere around Gardiner I think, but I can't remember for sure. I should check the DeLorme.... Mount Pisgah, that's it--between Winthrop and North Monmouth. Thank goodness for the Gazetteer huh?? So, who has wooden snowshoes and do you prefer them to the metal/plastic ones? I have to admit, I love the look of the wooden ones but have never used them.....could they be that different?

oh, about the walking sticks....I haven't used them, but I can tell you that a few times hiking up some of the smaller steeper mountains here and in New Brunswick a hiking stick has helped. I had knee surgery last January, and especially since then I've found that I can really rely on the extra support going up, but coming down as well. I'm still hesitant to step down (leading) with that leg, and having a hiking stick really makes a difference.

also, have I ever told you about the time in 2001 that we ice skated the Royal River in Yarmouth as far the North Yarmouth bridge (is that on Rt 9--lol that's funny to think about now!). It was probably about ....hmmm....maybe I should check the DeLorme again....yup, about 3.5 to 4 miles one way. But I love to skate, and it's great exercise When I was a little girl I actually took skating lessons....lots of fun, and I even had the Dorothy Hamill (I think that's how you spell her last name) haircut---of course I'm blond and she's got brown hair....or did then! Wonder where she is now? hmmm....

Last edited by mollysmiles; 02-07-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: I was going to go in and correct the typos, but .....nah.....

Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My neighbor has walking sticks and swears by them. She firmed her arms up quickly on her twice a day walks. My new snowshoes came with poles. I love them! I'm definitely getting walking sticks in the spring.

Rep points for most everyone. If I didn't give you a point it was because I had to spread the love.
Robin how far does she walk each time out? I've got to start exercising again...I've been lazy!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
A mile each morning and night during the week and twice as far on weekends. You might know her. She's the PE teacher at IT. Sebastian the wonder mutt loves to sit on a snowbank and wait for her. She's done this every day of his life and he still loves to bark at her. She's a good sport. She took my 700 lb boar for a walk one day.

Waking in Maine is great. I'm not sure I'm up to running in Maine yet.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
My DW loves to run. Every year she does a few 5K races. Don't think any have crossed the border though.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times
Thank you all for the input. I do tend to be a lil bit off balance but, I'm not ready for a cane! I am thinking the added stability and excercise might be just the ticket, at least for around the yard, the uneven ground is tricky at times. I think I'm going to start pricing them! Thank again everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine