Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

A few years ago a criminal introduced northern pike into the Penobscot River watershed by putting them into Pushaw Lake. There is no impediment to pike movement from Pushaw Lake to Pushaw Stream and into the Penobscot River. Last year the old dam was removed at the terminus of the Piscataquis River so that river either contains pike or will soon. The Pike will be in the Passadumkeag watershed. The danger is that they will get into the entire Penobscot watershed and forever ruin the trout and salmon fishery we have now. People who illegally introduce trash fish into lakes and streams in Maine are called bucket baztards. They introduced pike into the Belgrade Lakes chain a few decades ago and ruined that salmon fishery.

This thread is an opportunity to report catches of Pike anywhere in the Penobscot River watershed. All fishermen are requested to participate. The Pushaw Lake ice fishing derby will likely produce some big pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Not unlike the idiots that dumped perca flavescens into Moosehead just above the East Outlet years ago to "enhance the fishing opportunites" (and the cash flow to their operation), I'm comfortable with the notion that whomever put pike in the Penobscot watershed felt they had a "right" to do it and the "freedom" to do it with impunity, without interference from the "environmental industry."

Be careful out on the ice. First thing on the news this morning was the Pushaw Derby, with a late model Chevy 2500 parked well offshore.

As an aside, I'm hoping the Law Court will put the bear baiting/hounding/trapping issue to bed once and for all, and HSUS will go away.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:03 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
As an aside, I'm hoping the Law Court will put the bear baiting/hounding/trapping issue to bed once and for all, and HSUS will go away.
I'm hoping they put the bear issue to bed, as well.

HSUS? Doubt they'll go away. A state with as much wild and rural land, and wildlife, as Maine has, presents too many lucrative and political opportunities for them. They have to pick their battles, too, and Maine is just sitting duck. Too bad we can't throw 'em out!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
What bums me out is that the introduction of non-native species, both plant and animal, intentionally and unintentionally, is just going to get worse and is almost impossible to stop. It's tough to catch someone in the act, and the outcome is difficult to impossible to reverse. Between pike, milfoil, muskies in the St. John, etc., the only hope for good trout fishing may eventually be the small brooks and streams where some of those other species won't thrive. It's definitely a problem, but a difficult one to solve.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Then there were the crooks who put "Johnson fish" into West Grand Lake a century ago. Bass are fun to catch, but it harmed a once great brook trout fishery and the expletive "Johnson fish" was still used into the 1950s.

I attended the boat show in Bangor over a decade ago and when I used the term "bucket baztards" I was quickly surrounded by a gang of Bassmasters who told me off and one of them said, "You ain't seen nuthin yet." He may be right.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
Is that bear thing up again for vote???

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Not yet. It's in front of the Maine Supreme Court, brought on by the anti bear hunting people, on appeal, arguing that the Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife should not have spent any money explaining how/why bear populations are managed with hunting and trapping. The last vote was too close for comfort, and I'm hoping the Supreme Court nails them to the wall once and for all. But that won't stop them spending millions to take it to referendum yet again. Some pretty good administrative salaries paid out to the heads of the anti groups, I would surmise.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM

361 posts, read 922,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Then there were the crooks who put "Johnson fish" into West Grand Lake a century ago. Bass are fun to catch, but it harmed a once great brook trout fishery and the expletive "Johnson fish" was still used into the 1950s.

I attended the boat show in Bangor over a decade ago and when I used the term "bucket baztards" I was quickly surrounded by a gang of Bassmasters who told me off and one of them said, "You ain't seen nuthin yet." He may be right.
I can't fathom why anyone would ever feel the need to stock bass. Outside the Southwest, there's not a municipality in this entire country that lacks an adequate bass fishery. It's like requesting more classic rock stations.

With advances in the ability to transport fish and animals over very long distances I don't see anyway of preventing invasions. You can't separate the bad parts of technology from the good parts.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM

What the anti bear hunting people want is to eliminate game management by government. It isn't just bears. It is all species of fish, game and fowl. They don't want our tourism bureau to promote fishing opportunities or hunting opportunities of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine