Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 41,496 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm moving to Maine from Seattle, WA. I've lived in Washington and Oregon for the last 20 years. I have read some posts here talking about how expensive Maine is but I can't believe it could in any way compare to Seattle. I am moving to be with my fiance who is much more attached to Maine than I seem to be to Washington. While I find it will be a little gut-wrenching to leave the Northwest...he's a native Mainah...I think that says it all.
Anyway, I was just looking for any advice, anyone's experiences moving from west to east, any native Mainah's suggestions and just any anecdotes on what I'm in for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,398 times
Where in Maine are you interested in moving?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM

My fiance lives on one of the islands in Casco Bay so that's where I'll be!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolcetto View Post
Hello!
I'm moving to Maine from Seattle, WA. I've lived in Washington and Oregon for the last 20 years. I have read some posts here talking about how expensive Maine is but I can't believe it could in any way compare to Seattle. I am moving to be with my fiance who is much more attached to Maine than I seem to be to Washington. While I find it will be a little gut-wrenching to leave the Northwest...he's a native Mainah...I think that says it all.
Anyway, I was just looking for any advice, anyone's experiences moving from west to east, any native Mainah's suggestions and just any anecdotes on what I'm in for!
We had a saying in the military: The worst base is the one you are at, The best was the one where you just left, and the only one with any promise is the one you were heading to. That said, the islands in Casco are supposed to be nice. My daughters friend lives on Cliff Island with her native, lobsterman husband and a new baby. They all love it. And she is a girly-girl from the city. I did nont expect her to enjoy it one bit but she proved me (and a few others) wrong. It will be what you make it, mostly. If he's from there you have a leg up already. Good luck and enjoy. Keep us posted. We're nosey on here.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Welcome!

I was stationed on a boat at the shipyard in Bremerton and then on a boat at Subase Bangor. We lived in Bremerton for 4 years.

That is a very nice area.

I have many friends who bought retirement homes in the PNW.

Generally they have been amazed at how much their taxes have gone up since the mid-90s.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
My fiance lives on one of the islands in Casco Bay so that's where I'll be!
Green with envy, here!
The Casco Bay Islands are wonderful. There is regular ferry service to Portland. Many people commute on a regular basis, though in summer the tourists outnumber the commuters.

Which island?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 PM

561 posts, read 506,010 times
Quote:
I'm just looking for any advice, anyone's experiences moving from west to east, any native Mainah's suggestions and just any anecdotes on what I'm in for!
> I lived in Seattle from '87 to '90. Moved to Maine in '92. The first thing you'll notice is how small the trees are. Eventually, they'll appear normal.

> You'll find Maine generally less expensive than Seattle. Homes may be more expensive if they're on the water.

> There is a noticable difference in the work ethic. The Northeast is much less "laid back" than Seattle. When you say, "never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off 'till the day after," Mainers won't laugh (or get it).

> The people are very nice and neighborly, but they take a bit longer to loosen up. Give them time. They'll do anything for you once they get to know you.

> Winter is about the same length in Maine, but less gray, rainy and depressing. Snow and ice actually add a little variety.

> The "Old Port" section of Portland has a similar feel to Seattle. When you get homesick it might provide some relief.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
We had a saying in the military: The worst base is the one you are at, The best was the one where you just left, and the only one with any promise is the one you were heading to. That said, the islands in Casco are supposed to be nice. My daughters friend lives on Cliff Island with her native, lobsterman husband and a new baby. They all love it. And she is a girly-girl from the city. I did nont expect her to enjoy it one bit but she proved me (and a few others) wrong. It will be what you make it, mostly. If he's from there you have a leg up already. Good luck and enjoy. Keep us posted. We're nosey on here.
I knew this would happen! I'm moving to Cliff Island...and I know of your daughter's friend...she just had a son! And my brother works for her husbands father! I only briefly met your daughter's friend at my brother's wedding. You know...one wedding leads to another. And that quote from the military...I have moved a few times and I definately understand it. When people ask me if I like Seattle I tell them "I'll realize how much I liked it when I move".
But I plan on the long haul in Maine.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Welcome!

I was stationed on a boat at the shipyard in Bremerton and then on a boat at Subase Bangor. We lived in Bremerton for 4 years.

That is a very nice area.

I have many friends who bought retirement homes in the PNW.

Generally they have been amazed at how much their taxes have gone up since the mid-90s.
And those taxes just keep getting worse...but I won't go into it...I'll just annoy myself!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Green with envy, here!
The Casco Bay Islands are wonderful. There is regular ferry service to Portland. Many people commute on a regular basis, though in summer the tourists outnumber the commuters.

Which island?
Cliff Island...I'm so in love with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine