Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:28 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
all good reason to move to Maine. I want to feel safe. Yes crime can happen any place including small towns ...
There are many benefits to a small town, and not just the scenery and ease of shopping at local places.

Where I live recently there were a few break-ins. The town office, the Baptist church and one home were broken into. A few things taken but what really got peoples attention, was the shock and outrage.
Within a few days, they caught the young man, a juvenile by court standards. While the PD and courts might give him a (juvenile court) give him a slap on the wrist, around here- his name is MUD ! The parents and grandparents were horrified, and at this point, he has apologized just about to everyone that lives in our town.
Ahh- peer pressure for the good at its finest !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
There are many benefits to a small town, and not just the scenery and ease of shopping at local places.

Where I live recently there were a few break-ins. The town office, the Baptist church and one home were broken into. A few things taken but what really got peoples attention, was the shock and outrage.
Within a few days, they caught the young man, a juvenile by court standards. While the PD and courts might give him a (juvenile court) give him a slap on the wrist, around here- his name is MUD ! The parents and grandparents were horrified, and at this point, he has apologized just about to everyone that lives in our town.
Ahh- peer pressure for the good at its finest !
there is still shame in small towns not just a who cares/dismissive attitude

there was a store in south china,,,,that would post the pictures of those who stole from the store (on security cameras, and then post the picture on the front door "DO YOU KNOW THIS THIEF?" the family members were shocked and shamed and forced that kid(s) to come back and apologize and work off the shame

well this worked very very well!! the store owner even posted a video on youtube of a thief trying to put a slice of pizza in his pocket,,,,

Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there is still shame in small towns not just a who cares/dismissive attitude
In our little village, if you write a bad check at the mini-mart, it goes up on the wall for all to see.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM

565 posts, read 934,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
In our little village, if you write a bad check at the mini-mart, it goes up on the wall for all to see.

Who the heck are these people still writing checks in 2016?
I understand with places that charge a premium to use a card, but that's pretty rare.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
We get bills in the mail. We write checks for the bills. We mail them from our box with the red flag up. What's so complicated about that?

Old 03-03-2016, 03:09 PM

565 posts, read 934,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We get bills in the mail. We write checks for the bills. We mail them from our box with the red flag up. What's so complicated about that?
I was talking about people who write them at the minimart or away from home.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,189 times
I think I've written a total of maybe 5 checks in the last year or so.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Some people are nervous about carrying cash. Some people conduct all transactions by categories. Cash is for purchases you don't want tracked by the "authorities". I use credit cards for business expenses. That way I have a paper trail.

When you go to a place like Connecticut, there is a camera on every street corner and every bridge. If your car plate is "of interest", they can track you everywhere in urban areas. It is all in a supercomputer, just sitting there until somebody wants to look it up. In much of the USA you can still buy a hammer, chain saw, axe or .357 Magnum at a yard sale. Any one of those items could cause harm. It is nobody's business if you buy or sell one of those.

By the way, I have a friend who wants to buy a draw shave with folding handles. I own one. He likes it, but I won't sell mine. I told him I would buy one for him if I find one. PM me if you know where I can get one. I really do want to buy one, but this method to acquire an item can be used for any item you want to buy or sell.

Here is what they look like:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2599408...FUJkhgod00UPKQ

Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,025 times
Five-year update please........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine