Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times

Advertisements

We're about the same as Maine4us - Truck is being loaded Thursday, I will leave with Daddy and the dogs Friday morning - a little more room in the car this trip - and we should be in Eastport Saturday afternoon. Mensaguy and my son will drive straight through and should be in Eastport sometime Saturday between noon and 1PM.

I'll be good to see the truck loaded so I can see what my living and dining rooms look like again.

Anybody has some free time on Saturday, May 24, in the afternoon, we could use some help unloading the heavy furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
my girlfriend's practice is in Camden, so I'll be staying there with her in the house she rents.

Knox County is beautiful, but I've noted prices and taxes along the coast are pretty insane, right up there with Boulder! We plan to explore the inland areas more and get some ideas on land/housing availability.

We both agree that having a few acres and being able to have small animals and grow some food is important, as well as space for me to target shoot, ride motorcycles, and pee in the woods without offending somebody else's sensibilities...somehow I don't think this behavior would be 'acceptable' in a place like Camden..

Biggest issue is deep roots here in Colorado...it's going to be pretty tough making that big decision to leave...or maybe not...
Taxes in Rockport aren't high...very reasonable. We lived there for 27 years.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,938 times
that's good to know on taxes...it really is all relative and has been hashed and rehashed in other threads here.

regardless, we'll have to plan on sitting down to run 'scenarios' with an accountant and see how it might be..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
We may have discussed this before, but I can't remember. Is there any point in trying FSBO so we can further reduce the price we're asking?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We may have discussed this before, but I can't remember. Is there any point in trying FSBO so we can further reduce the price we're asking?
That's my plan here in CO...FSBO, and then you can pay a fee to get your listing on the MLS...something like $500 here, since my neighbors did that....built their own website with pictures & info, got it on the MLS, and did their own showings. They didn't have a hard time with it, but it did take about 8 months to sell.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
Update on the move. I called U-Haul yesterday and they have gone nuts on the price of a trailer from FL to ME. They wanted almost $800 for a one way rental. So, instead of putting the trailer hitch on the buggy and renting a trailer we 1) mailed the smaller boxes to Eastport for less than $100 and 2) we USP'd the large packages for $135 for a savings of $550, not counting the extra gas we would use pulling the U-haul. I should take some off that because instead of hauling a mattress/box springs we will buy one in ME. We will be off on the 5th of June, and drive till we can't drive anymore or make it straight through whichever comes first.

I don't have a need for the trailer hitch anymore. Oh well!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM

612 posts, read 1,216,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
We're about the same as Maine4us - Truck is being loaded Thursday, I will leave with Daddy and the dogs Friday morning - a little more room in the car this trip - and we should be in Eastport Saturday afternoon. Mensaguy and my son will drive straight through and should be in Eastport sometime Saturday between noon and 1PM.

I'll be good to see the truck loaded so I can see what my living and dining rooms look like again.

Anybody has some free time on Saturday, May 24, in the afternoon, we could use some help unloading the heavy furniture.
Hello Corgis and Everyone,

Sorry we can't be there to help.

I have not forgotten you. I haven't had time to be on the forum since the first of April. It's count down at school with testing and all that goes with graduation...National Honor Society collecting dues and giving stoles for seniors, etc. I could go on and on but it would only bore you.

So the exciting part has been sorting and packing to furnish the house in Eastport while maintaining the house and yard here. Arg...we won't talk about the heat and the green grass gone to brown patches...no rain here since the first of April. Looking forward to getting to Eastport. We are leaving the morning of June 5th and anticipating meeting everyone. Blessings to All.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Update on the move. I called U-Haul yesterday and they have gone nuts on the price of a trailer from FL to ME. They wanted almost $800 for a one way rental. So, instead of putting the trailer hitch on the buggy and renting a trailer we 1) mailed the smaller boxes to Eastport for less than $100 and 2) we USP'd the large packages for $135 for a savings of $550, not counting the extra gas we would use pulling the U-haul. I should take some off that because instead of hauling a mattress/box springs we will buy one in ME. We will be off on the 5th of June, and drive till we can't drive anymore or make it straight through whichever comes first.

I don't have a need for the trailer hitch anymore. Oh well!

Have you checked Penske? It's only going to cost us $500 for a 16 ft Penske truck - I think they have the pull behind trailers.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
That's my plan here in CO...FSBO, and then you can pay a fee to get your listing on the MLS...something like $500 here, since my neighbors did that....built their own website with pictures & info, got it on the MLS, and did their own showings. They didn't have a hard time with it, but it did take about 8 months to sell.
Well, we've already been on the market WITH a realtor for 8 months. Lotta good that's done! We're about to jump ship.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Corgis, I will see what I can do to be there! DH has a softball tourney and Jake plays Little League then too, but I may be able to be there for a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine