Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times

Advertisements

Welcome and congrats, reshet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshet
I think the last time I posted here is in October.
You stayed away for so long.

<sarcasm>

We assumed that you did not like us.

Quote:
... At that time my husband and I were talking about moving to Maine for a better life. I lived in Florida most of my life and detested it. Beautiful weather but the only good thing about the place. We needed a place we could raise our family and be happy. Since that time my husband moved to Bangor in August and finally in December our 3 kids and I made it here. We experienced our first snow and winter ever. We gave up a completely different lifestyle and all our friends and family and don't regret the move. We absolutely love it here! We have made some new wonderful friends.
Was there ever any doubt?

Of course you love it here!

We all do!

And we like hearing from you once again too.

Now can we work on making this a habit? You posting here and telling us how much you love Maine?

In case you have not noticed we are kind of like a family here [a large dysfunctional family].

Quote:
... Thank you for this forum it was a great help in our decision to move here!
You are welcome.

Now the next CD reunion dinner is at Dysarts. So it is very close to you. Put it on your calendar. Post in that thread and acknowledge that you coming. A short drive, and you can meet some of your CD friends.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Ya gotta love a small town in Maine! - I called the PO in Eastport to have the forwarding order removed next week and when the clerk answered the phone, I gave my name and before I could say anything more, he said "Oh, yes, Box *** right - we were just wondering when you would be calling". Then I called the local Dead River office to get an oil fill and when I told her my name, she said "Do you want an on demand fill or do you want to go back to scheduled fills?" I never had to explain who I was or where I lived, they just know you whether you're in Eastport or still in WV.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 AM

134 posts, read 514,678 times
corgis, yes those types of experiences are what my wife loved as well and just further made it evidant that we have made the right choice.

Ok update on our move back. House is almost done and we close in 29 days. Volvo (sorry Forest LOL) ships out on Monday and the movers are here in 9 days. The other car goes at the end of next month and we are in a furnished apartment in 12 days for the next two months until we fly back (from Germany) on 15 July.

OK back to work ... so much to get done and never enough time. Almost all the "stuff" we had to sell and "get rid of" ..is gone so that is good.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Oh my gosh, EAF, it's getting so close now. How exciting.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 AM

134 posts, read 514,678 times
dramamama6685 - one might call it exciting but OMG is it crazy. OK yes it is exciting but it is overwhelming at times. Not like moving from one town to another or across the country. You figure we have been here 10 years (Germany/Turkey 14 years) so gave up on the power convertors years ago and had all 220 volt appliances which won't do us any good in the states so have to sell them all for pennies on the dollar LOL. Moving along with wrapping up a new house has been extremely stressful over the last couple of weeks but will be worth it all in the end. House is a disaster zone and although we will be sad to move out, it will be good to get in the hotel/furnished apartment as all that is left then is to do our time and then get on the airplane to Logan.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
Hi everyone, well I'll be moveing in July to Florida it has nothing really to do with Maine and more to do with our job situation we both got great offers and cant pass them up. Im excited and nervous at the same time I hate moveing its such a stressfull time ecspecially when its that far. Plus I dont know anyone there and im a social butterfly so im nervous about not haveing anyone. I'll miss Maine but the money is right and the town is small and right on the beach. Does anyone have any advice they could give me on moveing kinda blind?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
A social butterfly? It won't take you long to make new friends, then. Just keep looking at it as a new adventure with new opportunities for positive things. Just try not to think about leaving Maine behind.
As for moving blind, our move to Maine was the first time I've ever moved when it WASN"T a blind move. Get on the net (oh, you're already there-good start) Anyway, find the local newspaper(s) and get them to send you a recent copy. It will not only give you leads on housing, it will give you ideas about the cost of living. You'll also get an idea of how active the community is and demographics like age groups. Then, of course, there's always the Florida section here at City-Data.com. The people I "met" here helped us a lot, and some of them are now our friends.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 17,855 times
Money can't buy happiness. I would never go back to Florida except to visit. I hope your move there turns out to be positive. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM

192 posts, read 394,205 times
We finished our fourth visit or scouting trip if you will during the kiddies sprig break. We have visited and seen all seasons of your great state before our final decision to move. For some reason (strange to some we have met) we seem most at home in Waterville. We will now begin the long process of finding a home etc. While some may detest Waterville trust me it is a small piece of heaven compared to any place in Ohio. That being said I would welcome any streets or area's to stay away from!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine