Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times

Advertisements

I apologize for my long run-on question in advance, and here we go....

As i keep looking into a possible future career in Forestry, and a possible relocation to Maine (among other states) to pursue this career, i have to ask, how big is Forestry/forest technology up in Maine. Every so often it comes up in other threads (which are not mine, and a few times in my threads), but i still need to ask it outright. The pay is not to great, but not to bad, but i have gotten little in the way as to how many jobs there are/amount, i have however gathered that the lumber mills are failing, which i would assume would take a hit on the foresters, but i am not sure how the other factors effect it (such as forest growth land).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
I've known a few people with forestry backgrounds. None can find jobs in their field. So pay = $0

Old 03-22-2016, 01:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Maine is the most heavily forested state in the nation. Paper mills are closing due to high energy and labor costs. Demand for wood is down because demand for most commodities is down. Manufacturing in general is den in our nation because there are 95,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 not working.

You have chosen a good career. Maine needs foresters to advise landowners how to best manage their forests. Maine has many laws regarding forests and forest rangers to enforce those laws. Like surveyors, many foresters are self employed. The state rewards landowners for keeping their land undeveloped and forested. To do so, the landowner must file a "tree growth plan". It must be prepared by a licensed forester and renewed every 10 years. The landowner must state that he intends to eventually harvest wood on his land. There is where the forester becomes critical to the landowner.

As you realize, you may not get rich, but it is enjoyable and important work. By the way, the spruce budworm is back. Many landowners will need to conduct spruce salvage cuts to avoid losing all of their investment. We'll need many foresters as we go through this epidemic that happens very quarter century or so.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 AM

63 posts, read 63,593 times
there are many types of "forestry" jobs. Some are oriented more towards manual labor such as a "logger". Others require a college degree such as "licensed forester". You'll need to get informed as to what type of career you want. The best place to get general info is the Society of American Foresters at SAFNET.org They have a lot of links that you can explore.

Maine has traditionally been a great place for a career "in the woods". The University of Main forestry program is the oldest continuous college program in the nation. I have my BS from there (~40 years ago) and the education allowed me to go on for graduate degrees (MS, Clemson University; PhD Univ Georgia). I am now a multi-state licensed forester and a nationally certified forester. Has been a pretty good career - but you're right, the demand for and available employment of foresters depends on national economy. its been severely down for past # of years. Local economics make it even worse. Maine needs managers of forested property but the days of vast timberlands feeding into local mills is probably over ( look up "Bucksport" to see an example of the continuing story)

I will be retiring in a couple of years and moving back to Maine (from current home in SC); I won't be needing a job, as I'll have my 401k, social security and retire benefits. I'll probably become a Maine licensed forester, just in case I see a project that interests me.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:03 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Here's an example of a forester's job. Great place to live if you love the outdoors and life in a small, tight community.

https://www.downeastlakes.org/positi...orest-manager/

Old 03-22-2016, 12:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Industrial forestry is a mere shadow of what it was 30 years ago. Demand for those products has declined remarkably over the last two decades. Primary work is SWOAM type work, maintaining TGTL management plans, watching loggers. When I graduated from the COLLEGE of Forest Resources at UMO, there were around 80 of us. Today, it is only a handful. Father graduated from UMO in 1954 in Forestry when there were a ton of Government and private sector jobs. Now the School of Forest Resources is back under the Agriculture people and the program has declined immensely. I swear they change names and move things around every few years just to give some bureaucrats something to do.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM

So your in the forestry sector Maneac, thats great to now. So how horrible are job chances now-a-days?

Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM

My husband got his forestry degree from UMaine and worked in the University forest. He works in the industry now but not as a forester. He does use his education in his career but he's behind a desk most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Industrial forestry is a mere shadow of what it was 30 years ago. Demand for those products has declined remarkably over the last two decades. Primary work is SWOAM type work, maintaining TGTL management plans, watching loggers. When I graduated from the COLLEGE of Forest Resources at UMO, there were around 80 of us. Today, it is only a handful. Father graduated from UMO in 1954 in Forestry when there were a ton of Government and private sector jobs. Now the School of Forest Resources is back under the Agriculture people and the program has declined immensely. I swear they change names and move things around every few years just to give some bureaucrats something to do.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:17 PM

Not to go too far off topic, but wait, you two are married?

Old 03-22-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Not to go too far off topic, but wait, you two are married?
Me? Yes. Oh wait! No. Not me and Maniac.

Last edited by Maine Writer; 03-22-2016 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: The lightbulb came on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine