Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 PM

19 posts, read 19,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It it relatively inexpensive to have your ancestry documented with a DNA test now. They can tell you your roots. In Europe, many people have a trace of Neanderthal DNA. Some are not happy to hear that.
I have already planned to get one for my birthday in May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
I thought most whites had neandrathal dna, as well as a good chunk of americans having african dna (mostly in the south) as a result of well, you know...

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM

880 posts, read 2,345,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I thought most whites had neandrathal dna, as well as a good chunk of americans having african dna (mostly in the south) as a result of well, you know...
All homo sapiens outside of Africa have some Neanderthal DNA. Some South Asians, Oceanic people, and Aboriginal Australians have some Denisovian DNA too. "African" DNA is pure homo sapiens DNA as they never left the mother land. Americans don't have "African" DNA from them living in the South, they already have it because they are one in the same.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You are likely not old enough to have heard recordings of Justin Wilson from south Louisiana. He spoke of Pierre's Satan Sauce. He told of a preacher who went to a home for dinner and not certain that the food would be spicy enough, he brought his own sauce. When the dinner was over, the preacher asked how the family liked the sauce.

The father said he knew that preachers spoke of hellfire and damnation, but he was the first preacher that brought samples with him. He told of a Cajun who bought a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and wanted to show it off to his girlfriend. He jumped on the kick starter. Nothing. He jumped again. Nothing. Girlfriend says, "Turn the ignition on, you idiot!" The Cajun turned the ignition on. Whhooom! The Harley started. Going down the road, he pulled out to pass a truck and another truck was coming. "Blap! teeth, hair and eyeballs all over the concrete."

That was Justin Wilson from south Louisiana. We have many Maine humorists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZyy54pM_k

Old 03-31-2016, 05:42 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
All homo sapiens outside of Africa have some Neanderthal DNA. Some South Asians, Oceanic people, and Aboriginal Australians have some Denisovian DNA too. "African" DNA is pure homo sapiens DNA as they never left the mother land. Americans don't have "African" DNA from them living in the South, they already have it because they are one in the same.
Completely inaccurate.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Completely inaccurate.

Evolution of Modern Humans:* Early Modern Homo sapiens

Ancient DNA and Neanderthals | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Evolution of modern humans | Stories | yourgenome.org

Ancient DNA and the origin of modern humans

Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 827 times
Here's what to expect. You will have few friends if any. You will be considered as being "from away". If you expect to get a job in a fab shop, think again. Paper mills used to be big union jobs they are gone. If you should find a job you would be lucky to get $12.00 an hour. Winter's are long and extremely cold. Summers are short three months. In that area of Maine expect to use alot of gas to get groceries etc. My advice don't do it. Or rent before you try it. If you build and think you will sell after, think again. Rural people see you as trying to change their ways and they love to talk. I know I've lived here for quite a while (30 years) and pretty sick of it. You would be better off living in Southern Maine near Portland. Portland has more to offer and a diverse population. I plan on moving there if I stay in this state. In addition you would be closer to the coast. You can hunt dear or bear in most states in Nortern United States. The pluses of Maine? Four season recreation. Do like snowmobiling, skiing, ice fishing, hiking, gardening, mosquitoes, blackflies, mud? Come up for a vacation it would be a wise move.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I was not referring to mankind's origins- I was referring to your statement that: "All homo sapiens outside of Africa have some Neanderthal DNA".

Most people who have their DNA tested do not have Neanderthal DNA (and Ancestry and 23nme do test for it). Ask anyone who has been tested. I have zero percent myself.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I was not referring to mankind's origins- I was referring to your statement that: "All homo sapiens outside of Africa have some Neanderthal DNA".

Most people who have their DNA tested do not have Neanderthal DNA (and Ancestry and 23nme do test for it). Ask anyone who has been tested. I have zero percent myself.
It's more complicated than a simply test. (23 and Me even states on their website that Neanderthal DNA will be present though.) My statement was dumbed down a bit. Technically, there are Africans that have Neanderthal DNA, but they mostly come from the area of Africa connected with the Saudi peninsula. DNA testing varies greatly depending on what genes are tested. Results can also vary based on how many generations of males or females existed since not all markers are passed from males to eggs. I don't want to get off on a tangent here on how genetics works, but if you are interested in more info, you can pm me.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 AM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommick View Post
Here's what to expect. You will have few friends if any. You will be considered as being "from away". If you expect to get a job in a fab shop, think again. Paper mills used to be big union jobs they are gone. If you should find a job you would be lucky to get $12.00 an hour. Winter's are long and extremely cold. Summers are short three months. In that area of Maine expect to use alot of gas to get groceries etc. My advice don't do it. Or rent before you try it. If you build and think you will sell after, think again. Rural people see you as trying to change their ways and they love to talk. I know I've lived here for quite a while (30 years) and pretty sick of it. You would be better off living in Southern Maine near Portland. Portland has more to offer and a diverse population. I plan on moving there if I stay in this state. In addition you would be closer to the coast. You can hunt dear or bear in most states in Nortern United States. The pluses of Maine? Four season recreation. Do like snowmobiling, skiing, ice fishing, hiking, gardening, mosquitoes, blackflies, mud? Come up for a vacation it would be a wise move.
This is a dose of the cold bitter truth. This board is full of rural Maine apologists and sure some people like it but most people that move to the area wish they never had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine