Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,255 times

Advertisements

I hate to jump in, but can someone explain to me what the beuty of fall foilage is? Being a native new englander i might just take it for granted, but i have always perfered boreal/coniferous type forests, especially the types further north/ and or west where they are wide open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:11 PM

607 posts, read 601,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I hate to jump in, but can someone explain to me what the beuty of fall foilage is? Being a native new englander i might just take it for granted, but i have always perfered boreal/coniferous type forests, especially the types further north/ and or west where they are wide open.
How can someone explain that? Not being a smartass, I just genuinely don't know how to explain why I find fall foliage so beautiful. It just is....it's breathtaking. Something about the colors, the crisp air, the turning season, that certain feeling it gives you....it's like you can actually feel the change. It's just amazing to me how beautiful nature is.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM

565 posts, read 934,540 times
There are multiple websites that track the foliage peaks via maps. If you find those for the past few years, you could easily find the average best time for an area. Kinda weird I love the outdoors here, but dont really care much about the leafs. I mean I really enjoy and notice them when I am outside when they are changing, but that's about it. I dont remember from previous years when they were peaking or anything .

However I would recommend against driving up at night. It is interesting driving from MA to ME during the fall, they dont just change all at once, you can see this driving. Although if you drive back during the day it would accomplish the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
How can someone explain that? Not being a smartass, I just genuinely don't know how to explain why I find fall foliage so beautiful. It just is....it's breathtaking. Something about the colors, the crisp air, the turning season, that certain feeling it gives you....it's like you can actually feel the change. It's just amazing to me how beautiful nature is.

I assume most people in Maine enjoy the beauty of nature all year round.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I prefer confiners myself But just like some folks that get tired of the brown, gray and bare landscape come Spring, I get tired of seeing Green. So Confiners only express beauty (to me) when it snows. Don't get me wrong, I love them all seasons and even prefer them in certain senarios.... but when comparing to the Deciduous trees, I always prefer the colors of fall over the Evergreens.

Start planting those Sugar Maples and Oaks folks!

BTW ... from my travels last week. Which do you prefer?

Bare deciduous trees

Spoiler

Or this. Hemlocks and Pines.

Spoiler

Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
This thread is making me miss Fall now. lol

My colorful photo from October 31, 2014

Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM

23 posts, read 27,647 times
So now we're thinking of doing the coast...however I have to ask, what's the foliage like along the coast? Specifically, if we were to head from Bangor over to Bar Harbor, and then head our way down (Probably Route 1? But open to other ideas?).

From Bar Harbor through Booth Bay Harbor and all the way down, anyone know what that's like during "peak" foliage season? With it being so close to the ocean, I wasn't sure if that's conducive to the types of trees that have the flaming foliage colors?

Anyone know how this would compare to the Kancamagus in NH or through the Green Mountains up in Vermont (where we've gone the last two years and have been completely blown away by)?

Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM

607 posts, read 601,869 times
Can anyone else help with what the foliage is like in October in Maine around the coast? I'm going for a 2 night stay on Monday, and I would love to know the best drive around the Portland area to see foliage. Suggestions would be so helpful! It's been 4 years since I've been, and I'm really excited. I love the ocean too, so is there a decent drive where I could see both the ocean and foliage? Thank you if anyone can help!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:39 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
This is true. However, if you have to decide now, I'd try to get to Maine one week earlier if you can.
Good information

Old 10-01-2017, 04:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Peak in central Maine is the first full week in October. Peak on the coast is the second full week. Down in lower Maine it's the third week. I live further north than any point in Vermont or NH.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:33 AM

603 posts, read 622,363 times
I drove all the way up to Lubec last week and there was almost no foliage to be seen anywhere. It's a late season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine