Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
No, lakes are the really big bodies of water and smaller lakes are the ponds.
LOL Umo, down south a pond is less than an acre, anything bigger a "lake". I suppose that's why I misunderstood. You guys have "ponds" that are hundreds of acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
We sure do. Cold Stream Pond in Enfield is 120 feet deep and big. It has salmon and togue.

Norway Lake is about 4 feet deep and full of weeds.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
I love that I just drove through 15 miles of handmade wooden signs encouraging our Deer Isle-Stonington Mariners on their way to the basketball tournaments in Bangor on Thursday. The one at the island side of the bridge says "Last one off the island- Turn out the lights!".

Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I love that I just drove through 15 miles of handmade wooden signs encouraging our Deer Isle-Stonington Mariners on their way to the basketball tournaments in Bangor on Thursday. The one at the island side of the bridge says "Last one off the island- Turn out the lights!".
Love it! The small towns here support their kids similarly...

Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:

Hey deerislesmile, how about those handmade signs attached to all of the poles bearing the names of every graduating senior I see every summer?
Didn't I see your name on one of those.... say around 1990 or so?

GO MARINERS!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Mermaid- we Paint The Rock, too. (I'm sure anyone who has ever been down here has driven past a graffiti-covered rock just past the high school). It used to be something you had to sneak out and do in the middle of the night, with one person as watch for approaching cars. Now, they just park accross the street in broad daylight (!) and paint it. Kind of takes the fun out of it...

And just for reference... it's called Carman's Rock- after the Mr. Carman that used to own that property long ago.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Mermaid- we Paint The Rock, too. (I'm sure anyone who has ever been down here has driven past a graffiti-covered rock just past the high school). It used to be something you had to sneak out and do in the middle of the night, with one person as watch for approaching cars. Now, they just park accross the street in broad daylight (!) and paint it. Kind of takes the fun out of it...

And just for reference... it's called Carman's Rock- after the Mr. Carman that used to own that property long ago.
i think ive seen that rock!!

i was down in eggemoggin last week....after i go thru blue hill,,towards stonington, for some reason, this one song keeps going thru my head...

the longggggggggggggggggg and winding roaddd

i travel all over the state, and five miles on that road seems like 15....

its a beautiful area tho!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 PM

That's better than the song I hear- Ac/Dc's "Highway to H*ll".

Seriously, though- something I am not loving about Maine are these potholes! (Sinkholes, craters, car-swallowers, you all know what I mean..).

Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
That's better than the song I hear- Ac/Dc's "Highway to H*ll".

Seriously, though- something I am not loving about Maine are these potholes! (Sinkholes, craters, car-swallowers, you all know what I mean..).

deerisle - to me it's only the Highway to H*ll in the winter, when I'm on my way up in the summer other than the touristimos, it's the Stairway to Heaven!

The only thing worse than a pot hole has to be the frost heave from h*ll! The one where you bounce so high your head bangs the roof of your car, the coffee goes flying all over you and even your little kid says "oh crap".

Last edited by island mermaid; 02-19-2008 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: too early to spell

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 208,825 times
Any single available 40 yr old men and over.... live in Maine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine