Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

In November my fiance and his parents and I drove up to Maine for my first time, they have built a Cabin up there and are moving in August. My fiance and I have recently decided that we are going to move there as well.

It is so beautiful, the people are wonderful and there are so many things to do all year round!

We have 20 acres so far and are getting ready to buy 50 more! I can't beleive the price its wonderful!

We are moveing to the Penobscot area its about 45 min's from lincoln I'm so excited.

Any Advice anyone may have about moving and the area or just about Maine is surely welcomed and would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Erica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,055,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissErica View Post
Hello Everyone,

In November my fiance and his parents and I drove up to Maine for my first time, they have built a Cabin up there and are moving in August. My fiance and I have recently decided that we are going to move there as well.

It is so beautiful, the people are wonderful and there are so many things to do all year round!

We have 20 acres so far and are getting ready to buy 50 more! I can't beleive the price its wonderful!

We are moveing to the Penobscot area its about 45 min's from lincoln I'm so excited.

Any Advice anyone may have about moving and the area or just about Maine is surely welcomed and would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Erica
welcome to maine erica!!!

the area you are moving to is a beautiful area , peaceful, serene, and the people are decent congrats to you!!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,474,135 times
Welcome to Maine! Will you be north of Lincoln?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,052,580 times
great news Erica! Welcome to the forum Where are you moving from?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,224,734 times
Congratulations!! Maine is a wonderful place to live. Welcome to the Forum.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,495,336 times
Welcome, Erica!! Wow, 70 acres. * thinks to self.. wonder if it's to early to tell Erica she'll have to have a boardbash?*

Old 02-17-2008, 06:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,585,931 times
Welcome MissErica. What part of Penobscot? There is a town called Penobscot in Hancock County, but it's more than 45 minutes from Lincoln. You can't go east or west 45 minutes from Lincoln and still be in Penobscot County so it must be north. 45 Minutes north would be around Patten or Mount Chase.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,534 times
Welcome to Maine

I live in Ellsworth, a short drive from your land. You picked a perfect area to invest in land, and a beautiful area to live. Although the climate is changing a bit, don't forget that winters are cold and icey still. If you are looking for employment, you had better be resourceful, or bring some with you, or enter the building construction or real estate trades. White collar work locallly is thin and doesn't pay well when you get it. But then, this is the internet age. There are many other ideas if you are savvy. I have brought up two daughters here.

I don't know where you come from, but if you want to always get around safely in the winter, get a front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle, and buy snow tires or studded tires, and you'll never feel restricted. Arrange a deal with a local to keep your driveway plowed. Build a very energy efficient home. You are on a penninsula where the sea breeze keeps the temperatures nippy in the winter. Where you are, you are probably going to see costs of around $170 to $200 per square foot to build a good quality new home if it is under 2300 SF. Another $70 per foot for the garage. If you have good southern exposure, I would recommend some solar equipment.
Any other questions?

[mod]Advertising, solicitation, and links to personal sites not permitted[/mod]

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-25-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM

37,281 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Welcome MissErica,

I live in Penobscot county, it is very nice here.

The 4WD thing has been debated before. If you plan on doing a lot of off-road driving, then by all means a 4WD would be a good idea.

We do fine with front-WD, and have not seen any 'need' for anything else, except perhaps studs from time to time.

Welcome to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine