Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:45 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginationStation View Post
I posted on both the Washington and Maine threads to see both opinions. Thank you for all the informative replies! I've learned that Seattle and the PNW has a much faster pace of life. I prefer extreme weather, like in Maine, but I wonder if the slow pace would get to us. Although our jobs are already demanding enough what with dealing with criminals. A lot of deliberating left to do that, that's for sure.
Most of Maine is rural, so when you speak of a 'slow pace' you are correct, for most of Maine. However what you have proposed is NOT rural Maine. Looking at Portland and the commuter train to Boston, puts you in a career field in the Boston-Portland region.

You could find a home outside of Portland, where crime is relatively low and the neighborhood is peaceful. While providing daily access into Boston.

I can see an option where it could be relatively fast-paced for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM

24 posts, read 48,404 times
What are some good villages near Portland? If I didn't have to commute to Boston, Bethel sounds like the perfect place! Anything like that near Portland? Thanks again, everyone! Certainly, we can't lose either way

Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
We only accept the best here in Maine. So if you are considering Washington, we know that you just are good enough for Maine. Maine has to be your first choice, and if you can't come here then you mighty as well live in Mississippi, since nothing else will suffice.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
I have many friends that live in Washington, and they are all saying the same thing- They can not Wait to get out of the state. The reason is- the Rain- it rains all the time...
At least when it snows, you still can be active in Maine.
In Washington- it is a constant battle of the mud, the dark dreary feeling, raincoats etc... Constantly..

Two families of my friends are relocating to Maine and fairly soon. They want all the outdoors activity but the weather to be able to enjoy it instead of inside- waiting for the rain to stop.....

*/edit- by the way- why do we have two threads of this running at the same time ? ( the other one is in the portland subthread group )

Old 05-23-2016, 02:53 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Maine.

We have enough people in Washington already.

Seriously though... if you want snow... Maine. You won't get it here unless you drive up into the mountains or over to eastern Washington. I've been here 5 years and we've had a 1 day snow turned melted turned frozen ice storm and snow twice on 2 other occasions... and both days the snow was melted off before noon.

The fall colors are very beautiful here as well... I'm originally from northern NY and spent some time in southeast Georgia as well. I've seen horrible winters -20... and horrible humid summers 95+ where the bugs will carry you away.

Washington is very mild and that's what I love about it... lots of people use the word "rain" to describe this area but in reality cities like Atlanta get more annual rainfall. The winters here are cloudy... damp... everything stays green and you rarely need an umbrella.

I don't mind the winters at all... the sunny summers make up for it. It was last year or the year before we had a summer with 100+ straight days of sun. No measurable rain.

As far as the job goes... live close to work. As close as possible. The traffic here blows. I work in Seattle and live 25 miles south... when it comes to traffic my hours are favorable (6am-2:30pm) and I have a 35 min morning commute... 45-75 min afternoon commute. Going in/getting off 1-2 hours later will have you in gridlock. Every day.

If you like the outdoors you'll love it here. Scenery is to die for... nothing on the east coast comes close to that view of Mt. Rainier... I spend a lot of time hiking in the summers and the views make it all worth it.

Good luck

Wouldn't 100+ plus days of no rain lead to an awful drought?? Just wondering.

Mount Katahdin is pretty awesome......just saying.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM

759 posts, read 637,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
I have many friends that live in Washington, and they are all saying the same thing- They can not Wait to get out of the state. The reason is- the Rain- it rains all the time...
At least when it snows, you still can be active in Maine.
In Washington- it is a constant battle of the mud, the dark dreary feeling, raincoats etc... Constantly..
Constantly eh? I've never worn a raincoat and I've lived here 5 years. I've never used an umbrella either.

That's the biggest misconception people have about this area. It "rains all the time." It is cloudy from October till about April... but it definitely does not rain every day. The rain here is more of a mist and keeps things green.

I rather enjoy my cloudy damp winters in the 40s and 50s... it's much better than being buried in snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Wouldn't 100+ plus days of no rain lead to an awful drought?? Just wondering.
Yeah that summer was a pretty big fire season unfortunately... but either way... the rainy season is the fall/winter. Spring and summer here is quite marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Mount Katahdin is pretty awesome......just saying.
Yeah that's a pretty big hill you guys have... As someone else said upthread.. and it's 100% true...

Mountains:
West Coast mountains are newer, taller and have steeper slopes.
East Coast mountains are older and worn down; they are lower and more rounded in shape.

Ironically Maine is the only New England state I've never visited. My mom's side of the family is from MA, VT and NH while Dad's side is from NY.

Maybe someday.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
... That's the biggest misconception people have about this area. It "rains all the time." It is cloudy from October till about April... but it definitely does not rain every day. The rain here is more of a mist and keeps things green.
When I lived in Bremerton, I recall one summer when we went 4 days straight without rain. We had a party to celebrate and there was a big article in the newspaper. Because it was such a rare event.

Quote:
... 40s and 50s... it's much better than being buried in snow.
Ever been 'buried in snow'?

I have never seen that myself.

I have made igloos [in California] and I have dug tunnels in snow [again in California], but I have never been buried by snow.

Quote:
... Yeah that summer was a pretty big fire season unfortunately... but either way... the rainy season is the fall/winter. Spring and summer here is quite marvelous.
Some of us have lived in Washington.

Quote:
.. As someone else said upthread.. and it's 100% true...

Mountains:
West Coast mountains are newer, taller and have steeper slopes.
East Coast mountains are older and worn down; they are lower and more rounded in shape.
I still prefer the Swiss and Austrian slopes, but Whistler is nice.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Here's the succinct answer. The one I prefer should remain quiet. It isn't hard to do math to eval these. It is not even close if thinking of a real move. The west is great & east not so much, but depends on your goals/desires & both suit different fancies. Again, I reserve judgement here as no need to give away the farm, haha, no pun intended.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 PM

319 posts, read 346,456 times
Quote:
Ironically Maine is the only New England state I've never visited.
Not much of an authority on the subject then, huh?

Maine is a magical secret garden of which you do not know. Your tales & sales of Washington, the Puget Sound area, & Renton (cough) fall on deaf ears to those in the know

Last edited by seasallyttle; 05-23-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:24 AM

759 posts, read 637,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I lived in Bremerton, I recall one summer when we went 4 days straight without rain. We had a party to celebrate and there was a big article in the newspaper. Because it was such a rare event.
That's cool... I've been here since 2011. Your summer must be before that because I've yet to see a "OMG this sucks it rained all summer" since I've been here.

Quote:
Ever been 'buried in snow'?

I have never seen that myself.

I have made igloos [in California] and I have dug tunnels in snow [again in California], but I have never been buried by snow.
Upstate N.Y. My hometown. Syracuse. Watertown.

Lake effect snow from Lake Ontario.

Google image it and you'll find stuff like this. When you can't find the car or open the front door, that's buried in snow.

Quote:
Some of us have lived in Washington.
So have the people over in the Washington forums in that "It rains all the time" thread //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...t-towners.html who have said pretty much the same thing I've said... "spring and summer are usually glorious" (post 4 page 1 is one of many positive posts in that thread)

I guess we are all just blinded by all this rain out here... 9.4% of the time.

Does it *really* rain in Seattle '24/7'? Not even close! | KOMO

Look at all those sunny summer days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
Your tales & sales of Washington, the Puget Sound area, & Renton (cough) fall on deaf ears to those in the know
I'm sure... because weather patterns are written in stone and what happened when you lived here definitely happens every year.

Good luck OP... I hope you find happiness be it Maine or Washington. Just don't let the debby downers influence you... it's not as bad out here as people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine