Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times

Advertisements

By amenities I meant more along the lines of convenience. Take the grocery store for example. Just in Westfield you have 4 major options. Banks galore , fast food options, chain restaurants and few non chain. You have Stanley Park , Amelia ice arena and Gardens. You have the Y and other gyms. You will not find this in Wells or Ogunquit or York. Maybe combined they might come close but not individually.

I loved Living in York though. I loved the ocean , the calmer pace of life , the people were great contrary to popular belief. I plan on moving back when I retire as a matter of fact. It far less urban than the Springfield area. I feel like it has more a neighborly feel to it. I always felt relaxed living there and can't wait to get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
By amenities I meant more along the lines of convenience. Take the grocery store for example. Just in Westfield you have 4 major options. Banks galore , fast food options, chain restaurants and few non chain. You have Stanley Park , Amelia ice arena and Gardens. You have the Y and other gyms. You will not find this in Wells or Ogunquit or York. Maybe combined they might come close but not individually.

I loved Living in York though. I loved the ocean , the calmer pace of life , the people were great contrary to popular belief. I plan on moving back when I retire as a matter of fact. It far less urban than the Springfield area. I feel like it has more a neighborly feel to it. I always felt relaxed living there and can't wait to get back.
LOL Never been to Amelia or the Y...no desire ....Stanley is a nice park....but no ocean there. As far as restaurants....the best are in wells....Mike`s and Billy`s. As far as gyms go I would rather walk miles on the beach. If there were any doubt in my mind about moving to Maine, the doubts are gone after reading your post THANKS!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I like the town of wells, ive worked in a grocery store there,,and in laws use to have a cottage on the ocean

I lived in Kennebunkport for two years, most coastal towns are the tale of two cities,, the working class mainers and the wealthier/recreational tourists, these towns have found a mutually beneficial balance,,,growing up I remember more animosity towards "outsiders" coming in and buying prime properties, even homes that's been fishermans' homes for generations
thru the years, there's much more tolerance and understanding ,,this is the nature of the beast.

on the water, water views, close to the ocean, of course the real estate values are much higher,,,
the further inland you go prices/values come down

no one can answer many questions that are asked on here,,except for the one asking,,, so many variables, and if giving opinions,,most are bias'd but I still like these forums for asking questions,,

I personally love the k'port and Kennebunk area because lots of good memories and sister graduated from Kennebunk high school, but as a working person its a challenge in the summer,,soooooo much traffic,,
and on route one in wells,,, its bumper to bumper for most of july and august,,
but again,,,this is right along the coast, if you moved back a ways it wont affect you as much

the southern maine coastal real estate market has quite a shine on it,,,, just the word "Kennebunk" York, or wells, and Kennebunkport can increase a homes value significantly,,, - law of supply and demand

southern maine is within a short driving distance of mass/new Hampshire..
look at the weekly rentals in York/wells /Kennebunk,/old orchard even not directly on the water- to me its insane ..

on the other hand,,,whatever you may buy in these towns even if ........ an RV lot 2 miles from the coast,,,the value is most likely to appreciate

come visit the are in all seasons,,
see what you like or dislike,,
monitor the real estate market,,,to whats affordable..

its a very personal choice ..again..no one else can make,,,just take any input with a grain of salt,,(including mine) because it is opinion,

now being bias'd I love some restaurants in the area,,,the famous diner in wells, the bull & claw, Litchfield's
and yes, billy's chowder house,,, I like the smaller IGA grocery store in wells,,, I like the owners Nick & Nikki
great people! I like the fish market up the road in Arundel ( my uncle owns it) and I like the breakwaters in the area and of course the beaches,,,beautiful!!!
if I'm in wells, I'm a short distance to Portsmouth n.h, or Portland maine, not too far from the white mountains .. I'm close to 95,,,the turnpike so I can scoot up the coast very quickly,,,to old orchard or k'port if I want.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like the town of wells, ive worked in a grocery store there,,and in laws use to have a cottage on the ocean

I lived in Kennebunkport for two years, most coastal towns are the tale of two cities,, the working class mainers and the wealthier/recreational tourists, these towns have found a mutually beneficial balance,,,growing up I remember more animosity towards "outsiders" coming in and buying prime properties, even homes that's been fishermans' homes for generations
thru the years, there's much more tolerance and understanding ,,this is the nature of the beast.

on the water, water views, close to the ocean, of course the real estate values are much higher,,,
the further inland you go prices/values come down

no one can answer many questions that are asked on here,,except for the one asking,,, so many variables, and if giving opinions,,most are bias'd but I still like these forums for asking questions,,

I personally love the k'port and Kennebunk area because lots of good memories and sister graduated from Kennebunk high school, but as a working person its a challenge in the summer,,soooooo much traffic,,
and on route one in wells,,, its bumper to bumper for most of july and august,,
but again,,,this is right along the coast, if you moved back a ways it wont affect you as much

the southern maine coastal real estate market has quite a shine on it,,,, just the word "Kennebunk" York, or wells, and Kennebunkport can increase a homes value significantly,,, - law of supply and demand

southern maine is within a short driving distance of mass/new Hampshire..
look at the weekly rentals in York/wells /Kennebunk,/old orchard even not directly on the water- to me its insane ..

on the other hand,,,whatever you may buy in these towns even if ........ an RV lot 2 miles from the coast,,,the value is most likely to appreciate

come visit the are in all seasons,,
see what you like or dislike,,
monitor the real estate market,,,to whats affordable..

its a very personal choice ..again..no one else can make,,,just take any input with a grain of salt,,(including mine) because it is opinion,

now being bias'd I love some restaurants in the area,,,the famous diner in wells, the bull & claw, Litchfield's
and yes, billy's chowder house,,, I like the smaller IGA grocery store in wells,,, I like the owners Nick & Nikki
great people! I like the fish market up the road in Arundel ( my uncle owns it) and I like the breakwaters in the area and of course the beaches,,,beautiful!!!
if I'm in wells, I'm a short distance to Portsmouth n.h, or Portland maine, not too far from the white mountains .. I'm close to 95,,,the turnpike so I can scoot up the coast very quickly,,,to old orchard or k'port if I want.
Thanks for your input....much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine