Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times

Advertisements

That's a good idea, I always buy something at Auntie Anne's when I'm at an airport. I was also thinking of a casual burger/hot dog/snacks shack on a beach somewhere, or near a ferry or where boaters dock. That would be less overhead and headache than opening a full-service restaurant, but I'm thinking it would have to be more south than Midcoast, I suppose. I really love the Midcoast area. Are there beaches in the Midcoast area that need some kind of food concession? I've only gone schoonering from there, so I don't know if there are beaches in Midcoast that aren't rocky or where people swim. I'll be up there 4th of July weekend, so I can check out places I haven't yet seen.

I looked into the dog wash idea that some suggested, but Google told me there are about 10 dog groomers in the Camden-Rockland area - so not sure if it would take off. But I like the idea.

Last edited by citychik; 06-21-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hmm, never heard of a self-serve dog wash. I've never owned a dog and are a little afraid of them, so I don't know if I could do that - but it sounds like people who take their dogs to the beach or into the woods would appreciate it. However, I would think most people who live in a house have a hose outside and wouldn't want to pay anything to wash their dog, and most people on vacation don't bring their dogs. I can't imagine that one could charge very much for this service. Like, what - five bucks? I would think most people wouldn't want to pay that much. And how many customers would a dog wash get each day? I can't imagine it would be very profitable - but then again, not being a dog-owner, I have no idea how popular a service like that would be.

Craft beer/wine - aren't there already a few of those? I've picked up some wine in both Rockland and Camden when I was there. The one in Rockland was only offering wine from its own winery, and the one in Camden had quite an extensive selection. Might be a good idea, though. Competition is often a good thing. Wondering what the state laws are regarding the sales of alcohol/wine/beer.
As an animal lover, I feel sad for you that you are a little afraid of dogs. There are pictures of the self-service doggie "salon" in Blue Hill on this link http://www.tradewindsmarkets.com/all-paws-pet-wash/ been by it many times and have never seen anyone using it... you wouldn't need to be there. Check out the video. Au contraire on MOST people on vacation don't bring their dogs and a doggie summer vacation daycare in a convenient location could do well. Dogs are allowed on most hiking trails but not on Sand Beach from June 15 through September 8. Pretty much every store in Bar Harbor welcomes dogs and offers them drinks of water. The Bark (woof woof) Harbor store in Bar Harbor seems very popular. https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/pets.htm

If you make it all the way up the coast to Bar Harbor on the 4th, you might be shocked/surprised at the number of dogs you'll see.

In answer to your beach question, Lincolnville Beach.

https://www.auntieannesfranchising.com/process/#faqs

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-21-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 06:25 PM

Oh please. Dogs have big sharp teeth, so I'm cautious. Don't feel sorry for me. I love animals, too, and just prefer some distance between me and a dog until I know them better. It's more about the owners, perhaps. Anyway, I'm a cat person.

I already visited the Auntie Annie franchising site. They want too much money, so that's a no, and although it's a good idea, I'd rather do something independently over buying a franchise.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
That is over two hours from us....
This area is alot of campers, and adding the full year people- it would be a serious market for a self serve dog wash here....
I can bring you some water from it when I come up that way each weekend...

Old 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Oh please. Dogs have big sharp teeth, so I'm cautious. Don't feel sorry for me. I love animals, too, and just prefer some distance between me and a dog until I know them better. It's more about the owners, perhaps. Anyway, I'm a cat person.

I already visited the Auntie Annie franchising site. They want too much money, so that's a no, and although it's a good idea, I'd rather do something independently over buying a franchise.
I said I feel sad for you--not sorry. Auntie Anne's wasn't my idea/suggestion. lol Maybe you should consider a cat house/hotel/daycare.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:46 PM

I know Auntie Anne's wasn't your idea, but you put a link to it in your post.

I don't think I want to do anything related to animals, the more I think about it. Everyone's suggestions are really helping me.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I know Auntie Anne's wasn't your idea, but you put a link to it in your post.

I don't think I want to do anything related to animals, the more I think about it. Everyone's suggestions are really helping me.
Yes, just trying to help.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have never seen an Auntie Ann's store. On their website they appear to be based in Pa. I do not recall ever eating a soft pretzel. I am not a big fan of the hard crunchy stale ones either. But look if you like soft pretzels, then make them. Nobody says you have to buy a franchise.

Maine is big on whoopie pies. There is a big Maine Whoopie Pie Festival every year in Dover-Foxcroft. We go there some years, it is a lot of fun. If you like whoopie pies, you could sell them. I do not really care for whoopie pies personally, but I think that a lot of people do like them. You can sell moxie too.

Tourists should eat it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine