Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I just did a Google search for "pet friendly lodging," the title of this thread. There are a lot of interesting sites just on the first page of the search results.
So did I, then I started reading the "fine print" on the links... which is why I asked for recommendations... I was looking particularly in Maine, to meet my needs... and found "Looking around on the net, I am finding this is VERY unusual (my experience on the trip to KS, that is... no questions, no extra $$ required)... usual practice for "pet friendly" is one (sometimes specified as dog, sometimes specified as under a certain size) with a $10 charge."

There is a big difference between traveling with a lap dog, and my menagerie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
I know that some (not all) Hampton Inns, Quality Inns, and Red Roof Inns accept pets without any pet fees or weight restrictions. My suggestion is just that you try to make a reservation for a room away from other guests, say a 1st floor room on the end. Oh, and don't tell them just how many pets you have, Star!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
I know that some (not all) Hampton Inns, Quality Inns, and Red Roof Inns accept pets without any pet fees or weight restrictions. My suggestion is just that you try to make a reservation for a room away from other guests, say a 1st floor room on the end. Oh, and don't tell them just how many pets you have, Star!
I remember stopping in Colorado at a motel with my dog; I asked the desk clerk if they allowed dogs, and she said yes and added there was a $50 deposit. I asked about getting the deposit back in the morning if there was no damage.....she said, no the deposit is not refundable. I said, that is a fee not a deposit.....She put on her best corporate smile and actually said, We don't like to call it a fee!" Of course we moved on!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
Unfortunately (for me anyway) the pet friendly rooms tend to also be the smoking rooms.

I'm still happy that there are places that let you have your pet. We stayed at the Econolodge in Waterville and Motel 6 in Augusta. The help was really nice, but the rooms were pretty unkempt. My dogs didn't mind though. =)

Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Unfortunately (for me anyway) the pet friendly rooms tend to also be the smoking rooms.

I'm still happy that there are places that let you have your pet. We stayed at the Econolodge in Waterville and Motel 6 in Augusta. The help was really nice, but the rooms were pretty unkempt. My dogs didn't mind though. =)
The Econolodge that we stayed in on the way back from KS to NC was GREAT! the room was clean, neat, affordable, didn't smell and had more amenities than I am used to at a much higher rate. And all their rooms were no smoking and pet-friendly! But when we went online, we found out it was not a chain-wide policy, darn it!

Those are two specific places we will look at, then, if needed. A smoking room is not ideal (doesn't bother me, I grew up with chain smokers, just never picked up the habit) and K's kids both are... so he had to deal, but didn't fare as well. For one night, we will cope. and I am sure the critters won't mind...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
The Econolodge that we stayed in on the way back from KS to NC was GREAT! the room was clean, neat, affordable, didn't smell and had more amenities than I am used to at a much higher rate. And all their rooms were no smoking and pet-friendly! But when we went online, we found out it was not a chain-wide policy, darn it!

Those are two specific places we will look at, then, if needed. A smoking room is not ideal (doesn't bother me, I grew up with chain smokers, just never picked up the habit) and K's kids both are... so he had to deal, but didn't fare as well. For one night, we will cope. and I am sure the critters won't mind...
Yeah, they do differ huge from motel to motel. The Econolodge in Augusta was miles above the one in Waterville. WIFI, clean rooms. Management perhaps?

Our dogs loved staying at the motels...we had to stay in them for almost three months when house hunting. UGH!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I wonder if it might not be better to ask my doctor for valium for me! LOL Thanks for the tips.. I plan to nap in the vehicles the first night, and possibly the second, if K can hold up to that sort or regime.. make more tracks north, faster... but if we get there when we can't connect up with the Realtor to get the keys or (Gods forbid!) we have not closed yet... I want to have some options in mind. We will cut quite a swath as it is... with a 16' truck, towing a trailer with my pickup and followed by the SUV with a kayak on top... one will be stuffed with plants, as well as I have house plants and some outside stuff that won't be expecting WINTER... plus the cats, birds and BIG doggie...

I just hope no one notifies the asylum... they may reserve rooms for us there! LOL
If you sleep in your rig for the first night your second night should be spent in Maine. Not sure where Beaufort NC is but we regularly make it from here to Pittsboro NC in 12 hours. When we pull horses (which we do twice a year) it obviously takes much longer as we have to drive slower and stop to let horses stretch. We break it up into 2 days and stop "overnight" at a rest area. This means sleeping in the truck for 3 or 4 hours.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
If you sleep in your rig for the first night your second night should be spent in Maine. Not sure where Beaufort NC is but we regularly make it from here to Pittsboro NC in 12 hours. When we pull horses (which we do twice a year) it obviously takes much longer as we have to drive slower and stop to let horses stretch. We break it up into 2 days and stop "overnight" at a rest area. This means sleeping in the truck for 3 or 4 hours.
Depends on when we get started, how fast I can go, pulling a trailer with my Penske ... and how well my other driver hold up. He IS disabled and his energy varies a lot... I "overnighted" (about the same as you...) in rest areas 2 nights on the way up for my vacation but started in the late afternoon (which is likely on this trip too.. ) and stopped for supper and a visit with a friend along the way, which is unlikely this time, as I do NOT want to get the truck/trailer into her neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM

411 posts, read 898,543 times
Star... we stayed at the Econolodge for several nights when we moved here from CT. This is located on the Odlin Road just off 95 in Bangor. We found out AT CLOSING that the woman hadn't fully moved out yet. Needless to say, we were stuck w/ two cats and nowhere to stay. She paid for our meals and hotel stay for a week, and we stayed at the Econolodge. It was nice, rooms clean, and they allowed pets, and didn't charge us. There was food delivery from several local places, and the Mall area is just up the road. Now they've redone the place, and added an indoor pool I saw the other day as we drove by... call them maybe and see if they do this. Also, as an aside, pick up a hotel guide thingie at any Denny's that you may pass on the way here. These saved us tons of money frequently on hotels in our land/home search. They will get you a great rate, the going rate 4 years ago was around $50 per night, we would routinely pay $35. Nice savings... but Denny's is the only place I think I've seen them.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Milford Motel, DM to follow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine