Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 AM

67 posts, read 435,808 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to replace my 20 yr old architectural shingled roof and wondering what I should replace it with.

I love the look and the benefits of a metal roof, but with an informal internet search, it looks like it seems to cost out at over twice the cost of a standard 3-tab asphalt roof. I realize that they last much much longer, but I'm not sure the extra expense would be realized when I sell this house (perhaps a few years).

I see many homes in this area (Piscataquis County) that have metal roofs. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the type and quality, or if they installed the roof themselves, but I tend to wonder why so many if the cost is that much greater? Farms houses, modest homes, mobile homes, inexpensive homes, all have them -- not just the high end homes. How do these folks afford it? Even with an on-line quick roofing calculator, my house (28 x 42, two story, 10/12 pitch, medium difficulty) comes out to about $9K for 3-tab, and nearly 20K for metal. I've not even talked to a roofing contractor yet (having trouble finding one), but cha-ching...$$$...YIKES...

It breaks my heart to tear off roofing and has no leaks, etc. But unfortunately, I had two dormers put in 10 years ago, and where the contractor blended in the existing roof with the new dormer roof shingles, they did a crappy job. All the dormer shingles and the blending have all lifting and curled. Ruined the looks of the entire roof. But, instead of just trying to fix (and match) the shingles, I think the rest of the roof field must be on the end of their lifespan, so I think it's wise to re-roof.

So, long story (not short)... if you live in around this area, and you've had your roof replaced, how was your experience (e.g, finding a qualified/insured roofer, type of shingles, overall satisfaction)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I had my roof covered with the three ridge metal roofing. Get the epoxy color, not the painted surface. An Amish crew did the work in a day and a half at very reasonable rates.

Call the Amish at Kauffman Metals in Smyrna Mills. 757-7122.

If he is talking with a customer, Ernest will not answer the phone. That would be impolite.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
One thing you must think about now is insurance.........

When hail hits your asphalt roof, insurance company replaces it.

When hail hits your metal roof, the insurance company says the roof remains functional despite the cosmetic dents. Not covered. And you look at the dented roof every day for the next couple of decades.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 AM

Thank you NMLM. On my CD-forum search, I saw a post where you mentioned an Amish company that replaced your roof. I'll keep their contact info handy if I should decide to get quotes for a metal roof. I believe you mentioned in that post that they don't have a web page, so I couldn't tell if they just do metal or do they also do asphalt?

And thank you 399... I never even considered hail... so I did a quick search. I'm not sure we're in the high hail potential area, but it was enough info to make me pause. Even cosmetic damage would concern me, as I'm not sure if an insurance adjuster would be able to tell whether the hail damage had penetrated and cracked the coating enough to cause rusting later, or if the dimples will cause early failure when water pools in them. But on the other hand, there's an awful lot of metal roofs in Maine, and I don't think I've ever seen dimples in them from hail damage. Perhaps I'm not close enough to notice. And all it takes is once.

Search continues...

Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
One reason I decided to go with architectural shingles rather than a metal roof because a contractor relative told me that the nails? rivets? clips? in a metal roof should be replaced every 7 years.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:00 AM

80 posts, read 139,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
One reason I decided to go with architectural shingles rather than a metal roof because a contractor relative told me that the nails? rivets? clips? in a metal roof should be replaced every 7 years.
One more opinion here.

Thats simply not true. Shame on him.

In Maine a metal roof is more money and worth it if it isnt going to take bread off the table. Raking snow and the damage that can come from built up snow and ice can add to the cost of shingles as well. Its piece of mind for me. Have it on the camp and the house.

Prices vary alot. Only price worth comparing is double lock standing seam. "Kit" roofs that are precut and not bent on site have too many parts and pieces and require a perfect installation which if done right...increase labor., and...bring the cost up to a standing HQ seam roof.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
We've had our house a long time and NEVER had a problem with snow setting too long on the roof even without a metal roof... just for the record. Why did you post the same thing twice btw? Moderator cut: Fixed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-21-2016 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Noting that the duplicate post was removed.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Shingle roofs get ice dam problems.

Has anyone seen a metal roof get replaced? They say 30 years, but really? My metal roof is 10 years old, I can not see where it would need repairing after 50 years.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:08 AM

I've been lucky in that I never had any problems with ice dams, and have never had a leak. I don't clear the snow off either, not at 1.5 stories up with a 10/12 pitch. The snow doesn't shed off either. Just sits there all year and gets deeper and deeper. Must be strong up there.

Anyway, I wonder if all these little houses, farm houses, mobile homes, etc., used metal roof kits or something? So that might be like EastMark stated above, prices very a lot. I had to look up 'double lock standing seam'. Wow, I'll bet that brings up the cost too.

I would want a good, standing seam, stiffeners, concealed fasteners, whatever. But I will not outlive the roof, be here long enough, nor do I think I'm in an area where I will gain the benefit of it increasing the value of my house, versus a nice asphalt roof done at half the cost... Too bad, because I love most benefits about the metal roof (except if hail damage, or shows oil canning).

Now if I can just locate a good roofer in the area. So my search continues.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I like metal roofing.

Our house has a metal roof. They call it 'galv-aluminum'. I do not know what our roof cost, it came with the building. Our house was purchased as a 'kit' you put together. Not much of a pitch. It drops 1 foot for every 10 foot of run. It is very sturdy, you could park a tank on it. Because it is nearly flat, the snow/ice build-up fairly deep and it does not shed quickly. The entire ice-pack will slide maybe a foot each week.

A couple years ago I extended the eaves out to make a wrap-round porch for us. I took it out 8 foot on the South, East and North sides of the house. On the South and East sides I used clear greenhouse roofing, so we still get full advantage of the sunlight. We have a lot of plants growing in our South and East facing windows; figs, lemons, green tea, rosemary. All the things that we want to grow but that do not over-winter well outdoors in Maine. In the outside porch area we stack our firewood. So it is kept free of snow/ice. Since it gets full sun that firewood is nearly kiln-dried by the time it reaches our woodstove. In the rafters of the South facing clear roof we suspend hanging planters with sugar snap peas that cascade down. It makes for a pretty walkway in mid-summer.

On the West side of our house I extended the roof out 20 foot to form a carport, enough for 3 vehicle bays, a large kennel and room for some farm equipment. In the carport roofing I included a few sections of the clear greenhouse roofing to act as skylights. Overall we are very pleased with this addition. It was not very expensive and it increased our standard of living a great deal. Our vehicles and tractor are no longer exposed to snow/rain, we can walk outside to get firewood or to get in our vehicles without walking in snow or ice.

Our house is 40'X60' roughly 2400 sq ft. This roofing addition expanded our footprint to 56'X88' roughly 4900 sq ft. I think it cost us roughly 85cents a square-foot. Which we did not think was too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine