Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM

406 posts, read 1,648,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to collect doorknobs from old falling down houses.
I love old door knobs! My brother's cottage has all the original glass and black knobs, also the original hinges. Great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 303,521 times
Default Glass Beach California

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsvalentine View Post
Hi, I used to live in Salem, MA and would visit different harbors and beaches on the north shore and look for old garbage that's in the water. Things like old pottery, porcelain, glass, and other objects that pre-date the 1950s. I've even found very old pipes and musket balls, victorian objects, dishware.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if sea garbage like this exists in the waters on the coast of Maine? This was a favorite hobby of mine, and i'd like to know if i can do this in Maine.

Thanks!
During WWII my mother drove the town trash truck in Fort Bragg, California. Back then the dump was a cliff over looking the Pacific Ocean, it was also the place where the town sewage would flow untreated into the ocean surf. Even up and into the 1960s the town kids would go out there with Bee Bee guns and see how many rats they could kill. The town has since stopped dumping into the ocean and cleaned up the dump and the former town dump is now called Glass Beach. All the tourists from the Bay area come to this now "nice" park and pick up broken pieces of old glass not knowing they are actually poking around an old land fill of sorts.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,332,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
During WWII my mother drove the town trash truck in Fort Bragg, California. Back then the dump was a cliff over looking the Pacific Ocean, it was also the place where the town sewage would flow untreated into the ocean surf. Even up and into the 1960s the town kids would go out there with Bee Bee guns and see how many rats they could kill. The town has since stopped dumping into the ocean and cleaned up the dump and the former town dump is now called Glass Beach. All the tourists from the Bay area come to this now "nice" park and pick up broken pieces of old glass not knowing they are actually poking around an old land fill of sorts.
I saw a TV program about this, they showed all the stuff that was there sort of melted into the rocks and all the glass that people were pulling from the ocean. That was cool. Sad that this was done in the past though.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
Best place to find sea glass in Casco Bay is Jewell Island. The outside (seaward) shore line has some real nice rounded pieces. Look under the seaweed at the high water mark. You need a boat to get to the island or perhaps you can hire someone to take you out there for the day. There is even rare blue glass out there but you have to look for it. We have found red, orange, sky blue, cobalt blue, sea green, dark green,yellow, pink, light amber, maroon and numerous other colors of sea glass on Jewell Island. We have found lots of pottery fragments on Jewell's too. A word of caution... Jewell like many of the uninhabited islands of Casco Bay is covered in poison ivy. I mean covered! You'll be hard pressed to avoid walking through it most anywhere on the island. If you're sensitive to it Jewell's may be a place for you to avoid. Jewell is also full of mosquitos. Millions of them. If you go there on a hot summer day they will literally drive you off the island. Lane's Island at the mouth of the Royal River is a good place to find horse shoe crabs. There are always a bunch of dead ones on the beach there in the summer. If you go there during June you will see live ones! You have to be careful when wading around there in June as you can easily step on one of the crab's extremely sharp tails. We drag our feet along the bottom when wading to avoid stepping on the live horse shoe crabs. We used to grab one or two big ones and set them in the bottom of the boat for the kids to see before releasing them. They're really neat animals. Living fossils!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,428,338 times
My kids used to hang out on Jewell! That's THE party spot for Harpswell kids!
Personally my favorite hide-out spot was close to there, on Ministerial. If you've never been in that cove, it's gorgeous! A couple years ago if you ever saw a boat load of women on a pretty fast 26' stingray cruising through that area, that was mine!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
The best time to look for sea glass is at low tide after a heavy storm. The light sand gets washed out to sea leaving coarser sand and gravel. The glass is among those pebbles. The light sand washes back in over the next few months, covering up the coarse gravel again.

There is a unique place near the lighthouse at Lubec where the rocks rattle at half tide when there are big swells. The rocks run from the size of eggs to the size of grapefruit. The beach slope is just right for the rocks to roll back abd forth against each other and they are all smooth from being tumbled against each other for a really long time.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,038,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
...There is a unique place near the lighthouse at Lubec where the rocks rattle at half tide when there are big swells. The rocks run from the size of eggs to the size of grapefruit. The beach slope is just right for the rocks to roll back abd forth against each other and they are all smooth from being tumbled against each other for a really long time.
I *love* that! I sit on the large rocks overlooking that small area and enjoy the sound There is also a couple of geocaches nearby!

In Eastport one of the best places for sea glass is down by the old Mearl, next to the Waco. Another good spot is out near Shackford's Head. When you turn to pull in the parking lot off to the left is a large space where the old dump used to be....the beach down there can turn up some interesting things. Of course, that beach is where the guy parked his car and wandered off a few years ago, only to return to find it completely underwater. So, use the parking lot

Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 AM

175 posts, read 418,504 times
When I was visiting my family in October, we went to Cape Elizabeth and my niece was showing me all the seaglass. We started collecting it. It is so neat, the colors, the way the rocks and water have smoothed the edges. When I get up there, I am gonna collect as much and put in a jar or something. I am sure with all the different colors, it is quite pretty.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,337 times
I've found some nice pieces of seaglass at Gleason's Cove in Perry.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,326,179 times
I would love to have a big jar os seaglass!! I knew a lady that had a lot of it once. When the sun hit it, it was beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine