Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times

Advertisements

I found a little treasure (to me anyway) at my favorite used book store a few weeks ago. It's called "What's Cooking down in Maine" by Willan C. Roux. It was published in 1964, and was signed by the auther/chef: "For Ann Ronsin - who learned about lobster from us - Best Wishes - Bill Roux, July 13, 1964." It looks like this was a cookbook geared toward tourists, and I'm guessing it is not at all rare. What's funny is that there are pretty much no side dish or vegetable recipes. It's all seafood, meat, game, breads and desserts. It includes some camp recipe contributions from Mr. L.L. Bean. Anyone know more about the author Mr. Roux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,301 times
I don't know anything about it, but I found an old cookbook of my aunt's from the fifties. It has a fantastic peanut butter fudge recipe, but get this...it says to 'take the pot off the fire.' That really must be an old one.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
There's another cookbook by Willan C. Roux ,.."Fried Coffee and Jellied Bourbon"
Fried Coffee & Jellied Bourbon - ROUX, WILLAN C.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Any smelt recipes in that book?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There's another cookbook by Willan C. Roux ,.."Fried Coffee and Jellied Bourbon"
Fried Coffee & Jellied Bourbon - ROUX, WILLAN C.
Bizarre title. I like it!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
I don't know anything about it, but I found an old cookbook of my aunt's from the fifties. It has a fantastic peanut butter fudge recipe, but get this...it says to 'take the pot off the fire.' That really must be an old one.
I love 50's cookbooks. 'Take the pot off the fire'.' Sure that wasn't the 1850's, mainer61?

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
I love 50's cookbooks. 'Take the pot off the fire'.' Sure that wasn't the 1850's, mainer61?
Well my mom and grandma both used the "pot off the fire" expression, as do I... and while grandma started out on a wood stove, when I knew her the "fire" was only a bunch of excited electrons, and my mom never did do wood, just electric until I was a teen and we moved and the apt. only had gas. She learned how to cook with a real fire and I came to prefer it...

But I am looking forward to finding cool old cookbooks in used book stores, too. I was just trying to pack my collection yesterday and was realizing they are, in their own way, a story of my life and travels. I will be bringing a lot of seafood and local books from "down east, NC" north with me...

Old 02-23-2008, 06:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Well my mom and grandma both used the "pot off the fire" expression, as do I... and while grandma started out on a wood stove, when I knew her the "fire" was only a bunch of excited electrons, and my mom never did do wood, just electric until I was a teen and we moved and the apt. only had gas. She learned how to cook with a real fire and I came to prefer it...

But I am looking forward to finding cool old cookbooks in used book stores, too. I was just trying to pack my collection yesterday and was realizing they are, in their own way, a story of my life and travels. I will be bringing a lot of seafood and local books from "down east, NC" north with me...
this gave me a chuckle,,reminded me of an episode of the beverly hillbillies, when they first moved into the mansion,,granny is loading the electric stove with wood...lol

sometimes we take for granted how easy we have it,,,just turn a knob on the stove, and we are ready to cook..

Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 AM

169 posts, read 550,276 times
hardly ever have to go to the woodshed for an armload of "biscuit sticks" any more......

Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
but get this...it says to 'take the pot off the fire.' That really must be an old one.
Alton Brown on the Food network uses similar terms every time he is making something on the stovetop. "Turn off the fire," "take the pot off the fire," and alternately refers to the refrigerator as "the chill chest." This is a young (about 40) man educated at the Culinary Institute of New England.

I believe he is bringing the terms back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: