Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM

64 posts, read 60,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandart View Post
Are you planning to buy right away or rent first? We visited about a month ago to househunt and met the real estate agent we'd been receiving the MLS listings from. We saw a lot of houses, didn't find THE one, but she now has a clear idea of what we're looking for.
I know it's going to be smarter to rent first but I really don't want to. The Skype tour is a great idea when my retirement date gets closer. (My agent in Maine is a straight-up gem -- referred to me by another Maine Forum member.)

Looking online for houses is addictive and probably not the best use of my time. That hasn't stopped me, though. When I see something I like that's on a public road, I look at it in street view on Google Maps, else from the air. Then I look up the shape of the property using the tax maps on the county assessor's site. From there it's Google Earth with the FEMA flood map layer enabled to see if it's close to a flood boundary. If Zillow doesn't display the description I go to Maine Listings to read it. (Something up with Zillow not reading that meta data.)

So yeah, I have a ton of saved houses on Zillow. On Airbnb I keep seeing houses I recognize from having seen them on Zillow. Sometimes I see places for sale where the owners are just about my age and only bought it a few years ago but are already selling it for not much more than they paid. And I wonder, why are they moving? Is that going to be me in four years? Was it the snow? The isolation? The icy drive to the grocery store?

And that's why I ought to rent first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
@dogsandart, I love the hygge reference and it's a superb philosophy. You are right on the mark with the reaction of incredulous friends. I get it all the time on the west coast, too, and I stopped trying to explain it. Now I just say that the place has been calling me and, yes, I love cold weather. My next informational trip is two months out and I'm moving in late spring.

I'll be in the midcoast area, solo but with dog and cat and I have the same concern about finding a rental while I house-hunt. I am seeing some Airbnb places that are shifting to less expensive winter-long rentals starting in October. Might be worth looking into since you are trying to get there sooner. Quite a few allow dogs.

For me, it's been a lot of practical decisions lately, like whether to sell my place here or rent it out. Which insurance to get. Should I take a scenic cross-country drive with my pets or should I fly? Which car should I buy there? How close to town should I be? These decisions are not easy and not as satisfying as the idle information gathering I was doing before. And I have to acquire some new skills and some new stuff but first I have to let go of a lot of stuff here. #soready
For many people, Maine is a one-way trip. (–:

Old 08-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
So yeah, I have a ton of saved houses on Zillow. On Airbnb I keep seeing houses I recognize from having seen them on Zillow. Sometimes I see places for sale where the owners are just about my age and only bought it a few years ago but are already selling it for not much more than they paid. And I wonder, why are they moving? Is that going to be me in four years? Was it the snow? The isolation? The icy drive to the grocery store?

And that's why I ought to rent first.
IMHO, there's something about the feeling of being in Maine that defies "perfection." For me, taking my lifestyle and (former?) needs with me doesn't interest me. I may be hugely romanticizing, but for me Maine represents more authenticity than where I am now and and many other places in the nation. Maine is a state of mind. Perfection doesn't seem to fit. Buy a fixer on some land and settle in.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,111,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
IMHO, there's something about the feeling of being in Maine that defies "perfection." For me, taking my lifestyle and (former?) needs with me doesn't interest me. I may be hugely romanticizing, but for me Maine represents more authenticity than where I am now and and many other places in the nation. Maine is a state of mind. Perfection doesn't seem to fit. Buy a fixer on some land and settle in.
However, our Guv has an extremely foul mouth, and doesn't represent that perfection.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:08 PM

37,329 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
However, our Guv has an extremely foul mouth, and doesn't represent that perfection.
He has been elected twice. So long as all other candidates run on platforms of increasing public debt and raising our taxes, this governor may yet win the next election too.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM

80 posts, read 121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
He has been elected twice. So long as all other candidates run on platforms of increasing public debt and raising our taxes, this governor may yet win the next election too.
I believe the term limit is two consecutive terms so he would be ineligible for another term immediately following this one we're in now.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 PM

64 posts, read 60,250 times
Quote:
For many people, Maine is a one-way trip. (–:
Yes, but hopefully not at 60. (⊙_☉)

Old 09-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
How the great state of Maine elected such a leader is head-scratching. But...no political stuff here (–:

Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 AM

80 posts, read 121,956 times
Quote:
How the great state of Maine elected such a leader is head-scratching. But...no political stuff here (–:
Well the first time around in 2010 he won kind of by default. There were three candidates (1 Republican, 1 Democrat and 1 Independent). Around 55% or so went to the Democrat and the Independent totaled combined together. And LePage had like 37%. So because it was a 3 way race the non-LePage voters were split between the Democrat and the Independent. Of the individual percentages LePage had just a slightly higher percentage than the Independent so it ended up being him. But more voters voted against him than for him. Had there been only two candidates the non-LePage voters would have won out over the LePage voters - assuming everyone voted the way they voted originally (either for a non-LePage candidate or for LePage)

Old 09-01-2016, 10:13 AM

37,329 posts, read 61,154,439 times
The candidate with the most votes wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine