Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

I've just noticed my foolish typo spelling error, *cite* was what I meant to type. My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 01:25 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4Life View Post
First, since you sight freedom within the body of your text. I exercised my first amendment right of free speech voicing my opinion. And all caps never aid to make one right either. And I understand by your statement "Conspiracy theories by their nature are not proved events." where you stand.There is far more then one could ever read in an entire lifetime to prove what a fraudulent belief that statement is.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer

“We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”
Ayn Rand
"Sly fox' was explaining to you, had you read the initial post for the subject at hand, you would have seen that this was a gifted land from a perticular party, and therefore Im. Domain is not even part of the topic at hand.
Spouting off ' truth" quotes etc, does nothing but take the thread off course, and off subject.

Finally- if someone wants to gift their land to the government, to stop further generations of said family to enjoy the land, that be their own decission. My understanding of this is that it already was in a 501C type thing- ie tax exempt so not much is added to the state.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 3,559 times
Mainebozoi,
Sly fox is merely stating what he or she thinks is happening, which by the way is no more or less valid then what I've said. At the start of this thread and throughout of which I read the entire thread, I very much enjoyed reading many of the threads contributors commentary. I see more each day during my visits here there are many great independent thinkers within this forum. And always look forward to their logic and reason commentary on various topics of discussion.

but I guess only some can extrapolate whatever they please as to what another has done or not done.

Quotes, are another way of demonstrating that many others throughout history did and do not always share or subscribe to a collective ideology.

"The greatest threat to mankind and civilization is the spread of the totalitarian philosophy. Its best ally is not the devotion of its followers but the confusion of its enemies. To fight it, we must understand it."
Ayn Rand

Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
as the thread goes totally off the rails......

Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
About eminent domain ...

Definition: The power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality, or private person or corporation authorized to exercise functions of public character, following the payment of just compensation to the owner of that property. Source

In this thread, it's been mentioned more than once. In order, the first mentions were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Trump has stated he likes emenint domain, you have to remember, this is becuase emenint domain is good for the buiseness, when they are buying the land cheaply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
can you say, eminent domain, for the good of the public...don't think some fed lawyer from the epa or hud insn't planning an intervention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4Life View Post
I truly do understand the slow methodical theft of private property across this entire country including Maine. The founding fathers intent for the use of eminent domain is well written on by them as well as many others past and present. The founders believed that private property ownership and the protection of that property was a fundamental key cornerstone of and for liberty.
After the third mention, slyfox2 asked if people thought the land for the national monument - the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument - was acquired by the federal government via eminent domain.

Of course, the answer is no. The owner of the land that comprises the national monument exercised her right as the owner of the land, and donated her land to the federal government.

There was no eminent domain involved.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Since this land was donated to the federal government by its owners, freely and of their own volition, eminent domain was not involved. If you want to discuss eminent domain, find an appropriate forum/thread. If you want to discuss the Katahdin Woods & Waters National Monument, carry on.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 PM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
Although I have spent a good bit of time in Baxter, particularly the northern part, I have to admit that prior to today I had never been on the land that has become the national monument. I grew up in Aroostook County and my dad was a forester, so I spent a lot of time near Clayton Lake, Deboullie, and other North Maine Woods lands, but today's adventure was a totally new experience.

I stuck to the Swift Brook Road and Katahdin Loop Road, because that's all I had time for today.

Some observations:

- There were way more people around than I expected to see. I must have passed at least 15 cars on the loop road, and there were several others parked along the way. There were people scattered throughout the loop. I'd say three-fifths or more of the vehicles had Maine plates.

- Overall, I think it's a really nice piece of land, at least the part that I experienced. One of the arguments from opponents of the monument has been that the land is pretty unremarkable. I'm not sure I agree. It doesn't rise to the level of BSP, but it is definitely more interesting than your run-of-the-mill woods in Maine, at least in my eyes.

- I hiked up Barnard Mountain, and although much of the hike was along old roads, it was a nice hike. There is an IAT lean to near the parking area. The view from the top of Big K is among the best I've seen. For a small investment in effort, one can get what I think might be one of the better small mountain views in Maine. I would go back, although I wish they would create a hiking trail that bypasses the road.

- There are a surprising number of turnouts and places along the road where you can get a great look at Katahdin. In this part of the monument, Katahdin is definintely the show. At the most significant scenic turnout, there were several people, including a couple of people who had erected large radio antennas and were operating what I presume to be ham radios.

- There are some nice streams and natural areas, and a bunch of trails (which I think are mostly old roads) that I didn't have time to explore.

I will watch this with interest to see where things go from here. I think that there is potential to offer some things that will seem unremarkable to Mainers, but will appeal to out-of-staters, such as offering remote-ish camping opportunities, creating a more structured hiking network with real hiking trails, and increasing accessibility to some of the more interesting natural features. I think that the real challenge will be to balance building it out so it is accessible to more people with maintaining the wilderness vibe which will be one of the main draws of the monument.

I was previously against the federal takeover of this land, and I still have my reservations, but I know that Roxanne was never going to allow it to revert to traditional use, and I have been thinking about the monument with an open mind for the past few weeks. I think there are a lot of questions to answer and that it doesn't match the natural splendor of its neighbor, but I also believe that this land has lots of potential and is worthy of this designation. Today's visit opened my eyes to the potential that exists if the biggest benefits of the monument can be brought to the forefront without ruining what people from away would consider to be a true wilderness experience.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
more structured hiking network with real hiking trails,
Bah, more trails.... Trails are everywhere, especially in Maine, if you want to be different, you have to have no trails, or very unmanaged trails (im am 100% serious). Market it to the hard-core bush-wackers, and middle-of-nowhere folk looking for a real adventure. Off-trail is where it is at.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Leave no trace, not even footprints. I hunt from a canoe. I cross the water and hunt on the remote side. I never see footprints where I hunt. People ask why I use a canoe to hunt. It's simple. I have never had to drag a deer uphill to a canoe.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
When you're quoting Ayn Rand, you know you've lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine