Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Outrageous. Why are they allowed to get away with that? And where's LePage when you need him?

Portland taxi driver takes discrimination lawsuit to federal court – The Forecaster

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-01-2016 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
How long will it take for them to take over the whole country.

I never knew any of this. Guess I've had my head in the sand. I'm really disgusted with the whole thing.

Which candidate do you think will make a difference?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Outrageous. Why are they allowed to get away with that? And where's LePage when you need him?

Portland taxi driver takes discrimination lawsuit to federal court – The Forecaster
Although there may be a case for discrimination, neither the article cited nor a similar one in the BDN mention religion, Islamic courts or city ordinances. References please?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:10 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Although there may be a case for discrimination, neither the article cited nor a similar one in the BDN mention religion, Islamic courts or city ordinances. References please?
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 AM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
If you're going to quote, do so correctly. I made no mention of religion, Islamic courts or city ordinances.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
If you're going to quote, do so correctly. I made no mention of religion, Islamic courts or city ordinances.
My apologies. I was referring to NMLM's quote, but wanted to reference the article you included in your post.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
SO - Maine IS friendly to retired seniors with low to moderate income

Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
I don't really understand why several Islamaphobic postings are left to stand for days by the moderators on this list. It is not as if the OP invited them in any way.

Board guidelines are evidently applied very selectively.

Blaming Islam for terrorists (and linking all Islamists, wherever they are from, to terrorism) is like blaming Catholicism for Timothy McVeigh's slaughter of children and adults in Oklahoma City back in the 1990s.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:25 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I don't really understand why several Islamaphobic postings are left to stand for days by the moderators on this list. It is not as if the OP invited them in any way.

Board guidelines are evidently applied very selectively.

Blaming Islam for terrorists (and linking all Islamists, wherever they are from, to terrorism) is like blaming Catholicism for Timothy McVeigh's slaughter of children and adults in Oklahoma City back in the 1990s.
Did you report any posts? Since the Maine forum has no assigned moderator, having a moderator stumble across a post is random chance. Reporting one will get somebody's attention.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:33 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
People have their rules for the internet. I don't believe in calling alarms but I assumed there were guidelines for posting. I thought off-topic posts were banned.
In future, I will just avoid such postings and avoid such posters.

If the community doesn't care even to object to an off topic post targeted at an unpopular group, why should a single poster care to post anything at all? My time is limited as I am working several jobs, one paying, the others volunteer. But if they don't care about these egregious posts, not enough to post something,, or anything to object, that says something useful to me about Maine.

James Madison, Federalist Paper #10. The test of a community with freedom is if they extend fair treatment to "unpopular" groups. Madison is my favorite Founder.

The weird thing about making the decision I am trying to make about the NE states (where I move), is that I see my sister's life in Maine and think it's the best possible. (She lives on the midcoast.) Then I see the nasty posts about people from elsewhere and think that VT or MA is a better fit for me--more tolerant, less paranoid.

So this is not an attack on the Islam-phobic posts--just an appeal to hear a bit about whether people are really so scared of people from other backgrounds? Because lots of US people from familiar racial and religious backgrounds commit heinous crimes without comment here. Mass murderers have been known to be white. In the US, they usually are.

I live in and very much value a multicultural society. I've spent my professional life working with all kinds of people. As far as I have seen, many are fine, most are OK and a few are problematic in every ethnic and religious group. We are all just people. We can work out better solutions without demonizing the "Other", however perceived and defined.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 09-02-2016 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine