Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:02 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer2 View Post
Slyfox2's link will help you. If you change the town from Bar Harbor to Boothbay Harbor, it will give you the historic averages for October or any other month you want to check out. You can get the idea of roughly what to expect during the time period that you are here for temps. That's a great link, Sly. Thanks!
That's fine - I'm not having any trouble finding historic weather averages for any place we're going (I get the whole concept of Google - LOL). I'm just asking for general feedback and perspective from current "boots on the ground," so to speak - about all sorts of stuff from weather to restaurants to sights, etc. Just some additional info on the places we're going to be between Boothbay Harbor and Boston.

For instance, sly mentioned a current drought, which may change the timing of fall colors, or the types of fall colors. That's interesting and not something that's as easily determined by googling historic averages, so I appreciate that sort of added commentary. I had no idea that Maine had even been experiencing a drought, and yes, that does make a difference in fall colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 01:11 PM

Hey, question:

We are taking four days to drive from Salem to Portland, so I think we have some time to meander. But we don't want to WASTE time, if that makes sense. Do you recommend going up Highway 1? That's what we're leaning toward.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:45 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,393,662 times
Another item to bring (or plan to buy): Comfortable gloves like lined Isotoners or light fleece ones.

Perhaps plan to drive Route 1 once--probably when you head north and are relaxing, enjoying the scenery, etc. You can take it from Freeport to Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset, and then on to Boothbay.

If you enjoy flower gardens, you will like Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. For some reason I can't seem to include a link here in the post.

You will have a great time here in Maine!! It truly is a beautiful and unique state.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:57 PM

LOL I'll probably have to buy gloves there since I doubt we'll have any for sale around here till December!

Old 09-10-2016, 04:06 PM

742 posts, read 830,587 times
If in Cape Elizabeth, a great restaurant is The Good Table.
Check the tide tables and try to hit Popham at low tide.
A drive down to Bailey's Island and Mackeral Cove is always beautiful.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 PM

536 posts, read 842,069 times
Oxbow Brewery in Newcastle, Maine (Lincoln County, though not on the coast) is a really nice pub, a bit hard to find. They also rent a house on that property. I love Newcastle, so I'm just putting in a good word here.

I agree with an earlier post: check out Pemaquid Point, about 40 minutes drive from Damaricotta to the coast. Wonderful ocean spiked air, stark and lovely lighthouse (think Edward Hopper), surf crashing against the rocks. There are the foundations of an old fort from King Philips War in the 17th century nearby.

The various coastal lobster pounds close up for the summer, but the one at Pemiquid, even though it has recently changed ownership, is still among the very best, if the restaurant is still open then.

Boothbay Harbor is charming at any period (my sister lives nearby and I visit often).

Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Thanks for those specifics, folks. Definitely making a note of these things!

Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 PM

77 posts, read 83,771 times
Salem definitely has a lot of history but does cater to tourists, school trips, that sort of thing. I would consider Marblehead MA instead. Lots of maritime history with a beautiful harbor. The town hall there has the painting The Spirit of 76 on display. Lots of colonial houses and a walkable downtown with shops etc.

Since you like history you may want to also check out Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH on the drive up. It's a living history museum. Welcome to Strawbery Banke Museum in Portsmouth NH

Concord MA had a tornado go through the town a few weeks back. It missed Louisa May Alcott's house, thank goodness, but did cause some tree damage in town that you may notice. Not a common occurrence in New England.

Maybe skip rt 1 in Mass just because it's busy so traffic may slow you down. In Maine it's okay, especially mid week after Labor Day, and that is the route to the Mid-Coast where Boothbay is.

Just North of the Boothbay area on rt 1 is Damariscotta, which is a cute town, home to the original Renys store. That is a Maine department store chain, with the slogan "Renys, a Maine adventure" I think that week may be the Pumpkinfest so you could possibly see some giant 1,000 pound pumpkins rolling through town.

I think you'll see some foliage colors up here then. I already see the tips of some trees turning. The drought hasn't been quite as bad above southern Maine and they say we should have some good color this year. Mass has had the worst of the drought and they also had Gypsy Moth caterpillars this year that munched a lot of the leaves.

The weather can be changeable from day to day, especially in early Fall. So layered clothing. If it's in the sixties you will see New Englanders still wearing shorts, drinking iced coffee and going out for ice cream.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
Salem definitely has a lot of history but does cater to tourists, school trips, that sort of thing. I would consider Marblehead MA instead. Lots of maritime history with a beautiful harbor. The town hall there has the painting The Spirit of 76 on display. Lots of colonial houses and a walkable downtown with shops etc.

Since you like history you may want to also check out Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH on the drive up. It's a living history museum. Welcome to Strawbery Banke Museum in Portsmouth NH

Concord MA had a tornado go through the town a few weeks back. It missed Louisa May Alcott's house, thank goodness, but did cause some tree damage in town that you may notice. Not a common occurrence in New England.

Maybe skip rt 1 in Mass just because it's busy so traffic may slow you down. In Maine it's okay, especially mid week after Labor Day, and that is the route to the Mid-Coast where Boothbay is.

Just North of the Boothbay area on rt 1 is Damariscotta, which is a cute town, home to the original Renys store. That is a Maine department store chain, with the slogan "Renys, a Maine adventure" I think that week may be the Pumpkinfest so you could possibly see some giant 1,000 pound pumpkins rolling through town.

I think you'll see some foliage colors up here then. I already see the tips of some trees turning. The drought hasn't been quite as bad above southern Maine and they say we should have some good color this year. Mass has had the worst of the drought and they also had Gypsy Moth caterpillars this year that munched a lot of the leaves.

The weather can be changeable from day to day, especially in early Fall. So layered clothing. If it's in the sixties you will see New Englanders still wearing shorts, drinking iced coffee and going out for ice cream.
Wow, thanks for all the very interesting info.

I kinda have to go to Salem because I had ancestors on both sides of the witch trials, and I am into touching history so to speak, but we don't plan to stay long - just long enough to see the House of the Seven Gables and take pictures of names of my ancestors if they're on some plaques or benches or something. Then we're off!

I saw some info on Strawberry Banke and it did pique my curiosity. I really like Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown so that looks interesting as well. I may add that to our day after our morning in Salem.

I'll check into Renys and Damariscotta - thanks. I'm not really stoked about retail shopping on this trip, except for LL Bean! But I could be persuaded to change my mind if we have the time.

As far as the leaves changing - I think anything in NE will beat what we have here in NE Texas. I mean, surprisingly, we do have some fall colors believe it or not, but nothing anywhere close to the east coast - and I haven't even seen the fall colors of the NE. I did live in western Ohio for one year and I remember a virtual riot of colors - even though I was a child, that fall in Ohio really stuck with me over the years. And I lived about 9 years in MD, VA, and NC along the coast and loved those falls there So hopefully we'll see something similar this year.

Layered clothing...OK. I'll think December here - LOL. Minus the Christmas sweater. I will probably stick out like a sore thumb - I'll be the one wearing a scarf and gloves when it's 60 degrees, ordering hot tea with a Texas drawl, and exclaiming "Thanks, y'all - OH MY GOSH, it's freezing out here!" when we walk out the door!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 AM

536 posts, read 842,069 times
For distinctively Maine retail, about a 20 minute drive from Pemaquid Point, if you decide to go there, is Round Pond, ME on an adjoining peninsula I think, which has an old-fashioned "no-longer-penny" candy store with cards and mementos, and it's very charming. (Check the online images, but they can't reproduce the smell of fresh sugar in this old shop (est in the 1870s). A tiny fraction of it is candy now, with a lot more small rural items and cards. Very, very nice section for young children's stocking-stuffers and small gifts. Teas and such, too, and my cats's favorite catnip toys. The tiny grey "mice" are especially beloved by my cats. I think it's open til Nov, but check--Fall hours are not as long as Summer hours. Round Pond is pretty--so is nearby New Harbor.

Salem, MA? You will _love_ it. There's a reason some places are popular--they have a lot to offer! Find out if the library there can suggest ways to learn more about your ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine