Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,347,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I smoked a lots of marijuana when I was in college in the 60's. I will vote against it. Its psychologically habit forming, and tends to take away the energy to focus on life and on goals. You can be an alcoholic and still be a focused career oriented person. But you can't be a habitual pothead and do any of those things.
Yes, but millions are NOT habitual potheads. Millions use casually, and have great careers and lives. I dont believe in alcoholism or drug addiction, but casual use of weed should be legal, IMO. The alcoholics i knew all ruined their lives and others.

Also, to Submariner - i believe the ballot question will allow "everyone" to grow a small amount of plants, but will be regulated by township.

Have any of you followed what's happened in Colorado - just curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I like how the potheads are all calling it "cannabis" these days...to make it seem respectable....lol
Well, when discussing a serious subject, slang is not always appropriate. Especially considering that the term 'marijuana' was never used by anyone until it was coined specifically as part of a negative propaganda campain to make cannabis or hemp seem like a nefarious, foreign substance imported by brown people from the south to seduce our women and emasculate our men.

I mean, when you are about to undergo surgery and the anestesiologist is preparing to administer fentanyl, he doesnt say, "OK, doctor, I am administering 200cc of Tango & Cash."

Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM

760 posts, read 882,906 times
By what ive experienced in Colorado, there has been no increase in habitual users. The only difference is that their money now goes to the state, and not some drug dealer. So the fear that it will make everyone lazy and non productive is not true. Denver's economy is now one of the best in the nation, we have a shrinking unemployment rate, and our home values have increased about 40-50% since the vote. Some of the most prestigious jobs, employees, and companies are all flocking to Denver.

If you have any reason to vote against it, it should be because you don't want an exploding economy with increased tourism, tech jobs, and home values.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
By what ive experienced in Colorado, there has been no increase in habitual users. The only difference is that their money now goes to the state, and not some drug dealer. So the fear that it will make everyone lazy and non productive is not true. Denver's economy is now one of the best in the nation, we have a shrinking unemployment rate, and our home values have increased about 40-50% since the vote. Some of the most prestigious jobs, employees, and companies are all flocking to Denver.

If you have any reason to vote against it, it should be because you don't want an exploding economy with increased tourism, tech jobs, and home values.
Wow. Based solely on the above (undocumented) claims, I should really vote yes for legalization of marijuana! How can Maine possibly turn down this amazing opportunity to have an exploding economy! Who knew that marijuana could save Maine's economy and bring prestigious companies with lucrative jobs to our state? This is the best news since Roxanne Quimby gave those north woods to the federal government for a national monument that will also bring lots of jobs!

<end sarcasm>

I have almost no problem with voting for legalization *IF* the rules, regulations, and taxation policies are all carefully considered and written. Burden of enforcement on the towns is not going to work. Some rural communities do not have local law enforcement offices. But there has been virtually no mention of how they plan to implement the legalization in the news and no supporters putting out this information in pamphlets. Anyone in Maine care to share this information?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:43 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yes, but millions are NOT habitual potheads. Millions use casually, and have great careers and lives. I dont believe in alcoholism or drug addiction, but casual use of weed should be legal, IMO. The alcoholics i knew all ruined their lives and others.

Also, to Submariner - i believe the ballot question will allow "everyone" to grow a small amount of plants, but will be regulated by township.

Have any of you followed what's happened in Colorado - just curious?
https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Mariju...estion_1_(2016)
Quote:
... This initiated bill allows the possession and use of marijuana by a person 21 years of age or older. It provides for the licensure of retail marijuana facilities including retail marijuana cultivation facilities, retail marijuana products manufacturing facilities, retail marijuana testing facilities and retail marijuana stores.
Current Care-givers would lose the ability to grow.

Home-growing would never be legal.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:45 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post

Their money doesn't go to Big Pot?? None of it??
It will make some people lazy and unproductive. It will make some lazy and unproductive people even lazier and more unproductive (actually, the key issue is motivation).
Denver has a robust economy for many reasons, as you know.
Maine's unemployment rate is already 4%. I PRAY PRAY PRAY that legal pot will get it down to 3%!! (??)
Home values are up partly because some of the biggest potheads have moved to Colorado....

Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,347,933 times
Let me start out saying, i dont smoke - right now. I have in the last 10 yrs. I dont really drink due to stomach issues. I know people who use Medical MJ. I probably would rather use edibles than smoke it, if it were up to me.

Also, i found this part in the Bill.

"The initiated bill allows a person 21 years of age or older to use, possess or transport marijuana accessories and up to 2 1/2 ounces of prepared marijuana; transfer or furnish, without remuneration, up to 2 1/2 ounces of marijuana and up to 6 immature plants or seedlings to a person who is 21 years of age or older; possess, grow, cultivate, process or transport up to 6 flowering marijuana plants, 12 immature marijuana plants and unlimited seedlings, and possess all the marijuana produced by the marijuana plants at that person's residence; purchase up to 2 1/2 ounces of marijuana and marijuana accessories from a retail marijuana store; and purchase up to 12 marijuana seedlings or immature marijuana plants from a retail marijuana cultivator. It allows the home cultivation of marijuana for personal use of up to 6 flowering marijuana plants by a person 21 years of age or older."

Sounds like you can grow to me. IF it passes.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 PM

760 posts, read 882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Wow. Based solely on the above (undocumented) claims, I should really vote yes for legalization of marijuana!
Undocumented, sure. But accurate...yes. If you do not believe this then do a quick Google search.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:07 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,128 times
If it passes, I sure hope the COL and house prices doesn't rise. We're wanting to move and Maine is one of our choices.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:55 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,945 times
If it passes maine will see a uptick in the number of additicion counselers for sure, both for current addicts coming out wanting help (its legal now so no fear of prosecution), and for people who become additcted because hey... Its legal...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine