Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

snowmobilers bring a huge amount of monies to the state, from lodging to foodservice, to registrations, dealerships, and small engine repair....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
Sorry, but I hate snowmobiles and ATV's. They stink. they make a lot of noise. They scare animals and basically ruin it for anyone one else trying to enjoy nature. I wish to got their were more laws against them. Around where I live, so many of them go on conservation area where they are not allowed to go. They really don't seem to give a damn.
i dont have a crystal ball, but im guessing you are are destined to drive a volvo..

Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I hate snowmobiles and ATV's. They stink. they make a lot of noise. They scare animals and basically ruin it for anyone one else trying to enjoy nature. I wish to got their were more laws against them. Around where I live, so many of them go on conservation area where they are not allowed to go. They really don't seem to give a damn.

Thank you for your contribution.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Many Maine farmers allow snowmobile trails on their land. They prohibit ATVs. This is not because the farmer has no hospitality. It is because one ATV can bankrupt a Maine family. An ATV can carry a potato disease from one farm to another or one field to another. Many farms raise seed potatos. There are potato species just as there are apple species. An ATV can carry spores from one field to another and contaminate a whole seed potato crop.

ATV riders don't understand this and some think the farmer is just a grouch. In my area you can ride all day and not see a "No trespassing" sign. Maine is generally hospitable. When you do see a "No Trespassing" sign or "No ATVs" sign it is there for a reason. Please respect it.

There are plenty of authorized ATV trails and many small towns allow ATVs to use some of the back roads. You can ride an ATV from Mattawamkeag, Maine to the ocean, over 100 miles. There is no other place in the 48 states where you can do that. (It may be possible in Alaska too.) As you ride the trails, there are many inviting side trails along the way. Be aware that it is illegal to ride an ATV on private land without permission of the landowner.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
An ATV can carry spores from one field to another and contaminate a whole seed potato crop.
Wouldn't the same be true of nature walkers and hikers, or even real estate brokers walking large expanses of land to photograph the property and then going to another property in another township or city and walking it to photograph another? Such spores could easily adhere to shoes, clothes, pants legs. Where is the line drawn?

I'm not a fan of the ATV, but that's just for me so I don't ride one. But if the ATVs are being blamed for cross contaiminating farms, then I think it is only fair that all hikers would be suspect as well. Goodness, then the deer would be suspect, the moose, rabbits. You see where this is going. Why is only the ATV being singled out as the culprit for destroying potato crops?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Sleds, (snowmobiles) ride ON TOP of the snow, ATV's can tear up a lot of soil in some conditions same as dirt bikes, that is part of the issue.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
first of all it's always a disclaimer start a sentence "sorry, but....", because in reality the person never is....

I ride these trails and I don't appreciate being lumped in with the few who don't follow the law, and frankly from what I've observed, there truly are only a few who don't follow the law. I don't know *where* you live, but I'm guessing it isn't Maine.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Here in CO the scourge of ATVs has resulted in once-pristine singletrack trails to becoming overused, under maintained, and on their way to being closed forever. We call ATVs "Texas Wheelchairs" here, and I despise them. More often than not they are piloted by reckless yahoos with no regard for proper safety precautions and private property. I can see their utility to hunting and farming, and in responsible hands I think there is room for them out there. But like anything else, all it takes is one idiot to leave a bad impression on somebody and suddenly you become a scofflaw by association.

That said, I am all for responsible recreation. I can understand how most snowmobile trails are not passable without snow coverage, and have seen firsthand the damage done by OHVs through muddy bogs etc. Hey, I'll buy a snowmobile if I have to......and use it responsibly.

In my experience most folks who I encounter hiking or mtn biking while I'm on the dirt bike actually appreciate it when I stop and say hi, and mention that I myself am also an avid hiker & cyclist and it's great to get out and share the trails. Horse people always seem to have more 'attitude', and I just brush it off. It's all about respect....what comes around goes around.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
My father passed a few years ago. He was overweight and had trouble walking very far. Lots of health issues. But there was one thing in his life that made him feel young and could keep up with a twenty year old. Of course that was his ATV. He would ride all over our property collecting wood and checking on the gravel pit and visiting neighbors. The ITS trail runs through our property and he could easily go from town to town on this trail. At one time, our family had 5 ATV's in the garage. One belonged to my son who visited each summer while growing up. We were all taught to stay on the trails and only go where we were wanted. Our children that owned their own ATV's were required to wear helmets. And many, many people are like us who live in Maine. There are always those who will spoil it for others.

My family in Maine owns snowmobiles too. We respect these machines and where to ride them. On a weekend, you can see and hear dozens if not a hundred passing through. Good for them. They must be having a blast.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
RMoore, wonderful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine