Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Sounds like you would like Eastport.
Eastport is hardly in Waldo county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
You can get cheaper winter rentals, usually Oct-May, in places that rent to a lot of summer visitors. Peaks Island, Old Orchard Beach, Pine Point Beach in Scarborough and maybe around Damariscotta Lake which is closer to the midcoast.
Also Boothbay Harbor is up there and is touristy. I would look for realtor websites in areas like these and they often will list winter rentals.
I think airbnb also has longer term listings.
So what do people do when the summer time comes?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Fish, kayak, sail, barbecue, fly, water ski, jet boat, Watch moose, Motorcycle, ATV, hike, bicycle, scuba dive, whale watch, fly stunt kites, windjammer cruise, canoe, camp, metal detector, hunt for buried treasure, build stuff, car shows, go camping, garden, yard sale, cut wood, split wood, pile wood, Paint, put up radio antennas, country fairs, church suppers, white water rafting, mud runs, tractor pulls, truck pulls, water ski, pick berries, shoot skeet and trap, Appleseed, parades, campaign, clear trails, eat strawberry shortcake.

That's what we do in the summertime.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
After having lived in Granada Hills CA I can say anywhere in Maine would be a massive improvement. You could drive up US 1 and find over 100 nice towns to live in. I will be retiring to Eastport myself someday but that is only because I have a family connection to the town and spent a lot of my childhood and early teen years there.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 PM

77 posts, read 84,206 times
In the Summer you get booted out

In our case we sold our house and went with a winter rental so we had time to find the right new house and we also thought it would be a nice thing to live right on the ocean for a bit without tourists. It was an experience.

I guess there are varied reasons someone might need temporary housing.

I've often thought respectable boarding houses should make a comeback. A place where you can rent a room with house privileges for whatever length of time you may need at a more reasonable rate than a hotel or a house rental.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Maine is loaded with bed and breakfasts. The breakfasts are awesome.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Fish, kayak, sail, barbecue, fly, water ski, jet boat, Watch moose, Motorcycle, ATV, hike, bicycle, scuba dive, whale watch, fly stunt kites, .......

That's what we do in the summertime.
I KNOW what we do in the summer. I live here.

My question was what people who are only there for winter housing do when summer comes around. Where do they find summer housing that isn't weekly just for tourists at inflated rates.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:37 PM

20 posts, read 31,461 times
Default Thanks for answers with info worth checking Out!

I am wondering if anybody who actually lives in Waterville can give me some insider info on what parts of the town are better and if there are areas to avoid? It seems like there are many really nice looking homes for a good price there.
Personally I would rather live closer to the water, but there doesn't seem to be much available in our price range. We are looking for a nice 2-3 BR home for under $125,000. It's hard to find much info on what living in Waterville is like. I would like to find a forever home with a nice small town community feel to it. Somewhere that folks know each other and look out for each other...Kinda like that little town in the Gilmore Girls :-)

Old 04-26-2017, 10:45 AM

20 posts, read 31,461 times
We want to buy a home in the Waterville area but cannot find anywhere to stay while we look! All the hotels are way too expensive, no short term rentals can be found, short of sleeping in our car, do you have any suggestions? We had planned on loading up a U Haul and driving there in June, putting everything in storage and renting somewhere to stay while we looked...We are getting very disheartened. Also to further complicate things we have a 13 year old dog who is medium sized ( 40 lbs) and every place I have found doesn't allow dogs bigger then 20 lbs...
We have been saving up for our down payment on a house for 10 years and now that we finally have enough and have decided where we want to move, it seems to not be working out too well! It doesn't have to be Waterville, just somewhere centrally located between waterville and Belfast where we want to look...Any suggestions of places to check out would really be appreciated!
Maybe some of you know someone with a studio apt, or little cottage they want to rent out for a month?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

336 posts, read 578,684 times
Why don't you try vrbo.com? I've used that site a lot and have found some great rentals. They are all furnished. That's what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine