Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 PM

810 posts, read 844,673 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful information once again. Mainers are all so helpful "-)

I hope I get a chance to eat moose. Do you smoke it? or just make ground meat and steaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 AM

387 posts, read 605,647 times
Question - if they are so numerous, why don't they have a REAL season on them, like deer?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
To answer the two questions abve, tourists like to see moose along the roads.

Moose makes great pot roast and the leftovers mke great sandwiches. I have been drawn twice in the lottery.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:44 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It's good. If you like elk and white-tail, you will like moose. Even my wife likes it, though she swears she will never eat Bullwinkle or Bambi (she has, but doesn't know it). I was frying up some mooseburger with peppers and onions one evening when she came home from work, she walked in the door and exclaimed "Oh Honey, that smells delicious!" I just smiled and said, "It does, doesn't it." I was making 'dirty rice'. She had three helpings of it and told me it was the best I had ever made. I did not want to spoil her enjoyment of it, so I didn't tell her that it wasn't cow, and didn't come wrapped in cellophane from the grocery store.

I saw an article on TV a few days ago, that said the number of permits was reduced this year because "...more people want to see them in the woods."

The idea of issuing a limited number of permits, is to [try to] control how many are killed, in an effort to 'manage' the population numbers.

this is for the folks that don't live in maine and want to see a moose,,,

I enjoy seeing a moose too ...they are big and lumbering..
however, here is the flipside of more moose near roads

with any other animal in maine if you hit one in the road at night the odds are good you wont be killed....
unless its a moose and you are in a car,,,,they are so tall all you see is legs if you see them at all- extremely dangerous on 95 at high speeds...at night they may just look right at you and you don't have time to react..you hit their legs and their body is coming thru the windshield

some roads locals wont even travel at night because the moose are so plentiful

if you go looking for moose at night,,,thats a bit different....because you are going quite slow

Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,857,066 times
Two people I personally knew fairly well have died in moose collisions. It's a serious danger. You MUST slow down at night and really pay attention. (I have had a dozen close calls).

There are a few less moose along the roads up here now. The special County hunt (to reduce collisions and protect the broccoli crop) has been a help.

Moose is delicious. As good as venison, I think.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
A beloved teacher from Lincoln was killed when she hit a moose a couple of decades ago. I witnessed a moose collision when two women in a Toyota hit a moose. The two women were looking at each other in the front seat at impact. They never saw the moose. The Toyota went completely under the moose and the moose went about 10 feet in the air. The women were uninjured, but both were covered with broken glass particles and the paunch from the moose.

The roof of the Toyota was peeled right back. I figure that when the ambulance arrived at the hospital, the first step was likely to hose the women off in the ambulance bay before taking them to the ER. They have nice warm water in the ambulance bay.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:44 PM

321 posts, read 482,796 times
Perhaps 15 years ago I was traveling southbound on the interstate between Medway and the Lincoln exit on a showery, sort of dreary day, and I saw a moose run out into the road and go into side of a vehicle, by the driver. It happened quickly and the driver didn't have time to adjust, and the moose just ran into the side of the vehicle as it was going 70 mph or whatever. Everyone was o.k.

My dad, who was a forester, has lots of moose stories, but one in particular stands out to me. He was on the Reality Road traveling from Clayton Lake towards Ashland, near where the old Musquacook Gate used to be. He came across a cow and her very young calf in the middle of the road. He kept his distance and just watched them for a bit, thinking that they would eventually move off the road like they always do. After about ten minutes he creeped just a little bit closer, trying to nudge them along. She didn't like that at all, so he just stopped and waited, not wanting to upset her further. After a couple of minutes she ran towards his truck and ended up attacking it by throwing her body against the rear half of the truck between the driver's side door and the rear tire. She put a giant dent in the side of the truck that was several feet long.

She ran off into the woods with her calf and was apparently o.k. The truck, however, was still drivable but required a trip to the body shop, as it was damaged a decent amount and my dad couldn't get behind it and pop it out.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,187,478 times
Multiple big, dark splotches on I-95 between Houlton and Medway last week. There's been a few good hits of late.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:36 PM

23,318 posts, read 17,001,523 times
Moose crossing sign on 95 by the Kenduskeag is not a lie.

every few years a moose walks thur backyards on Howard st by EMMC. they are everywhere and yet nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine