Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take a 7- to 10-day trip down east in July. I will be camping, biking, hiking, and kayaking. So far all I have planned is day 1 Camden state park; day 2 Acadia; day 3 kayak camp at Donell Pond, and then on to McClellan Park in Milbridge. This year's steep increase in out-of-state camping fees at Maine state parks will keep me out of them for the most part except for Camden.

Questions:

1) I'll be taking my work with me. What's the likelihood that I'll be able to find wifi and work spaces like libraries up around Milbridge?

2) Any other suggestions for places to visit, beautiful scenery, lakes and ponds to kayak, bike routes, and easy shore hikes? Key phrase is "slow and easy." I'm a lake and pond kayaker, not much of a sea kayaker unless it's in a sheltered harbor or cover.

Thank you, Maine experts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
1) Close to ZERO

2) Nothing comes to mind really; the beaches there aren't so much beaches are rocky shores and keep in mind you're in the very "working waterfront" area of Maine now. The clam-diggers and fishermen will be wondering what you're doing if you're just strolling around.

I probably sound a bit pessimistic (although my answer to number 1 is genuine) but that's because I was born and raised in the town next to Milbridge, Harrington so I'm intimately familiar with the area. It's a part of Maine people pretty much just drive past for a reason, there isn't a lot... THERE. I mean your typical Maine woods etc but nothing that really stands out.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Great Wass Island over by Jonesport, has some good hiking trails. Roques Bluff over near Machais is pretty. Back in Winter Harbor is a part of Acadia that most never go to.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
1) Close to ZERO

2) Nothing comes to mind really; the beaches there aren't so much beaches are rocky shores and keep in mind you're in the very "working waterfront" area of Maine now. The clam-diggers and fishermen will be wondering what you're doing if you're just strolling around.

I probably sound a bit pessimistic (although my answer to number 1 is genuine) but that's because I was born and raised in the town next to Milbridge, Harrington so I'm intimately familiar with the area. It's a part of Maine people pretty much just drive past for a reason, there isn't a lot... THERE. I mean your typical Maine woods etc but nothing that really stands out.
Well Jeremy, if you're not fond of your birthplace, what else would you recommend? I've been as far as Acadia many times and would like to venture beyond there, see something new, and find affordable camping. I've driven to Prince Edward Island many times and you're right, I never stopped anywhere between Ellsworth and New Brunswick.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:29 PM

No more ideas for Downeast? Anybody?

Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
It's a beautiful area, but from Winter/Prospect Harbor to Machias, there is pretty much nothing.

Roque Bluffs would probably be a nice place for you, a rare beach up there, but it is sea.
Great Wass was mentioned.
Get out to Lubec, you can hike West Quoddy Head and the Bold Coast for a whole day easily.
Schoodic Point is the cheaper version of Acadia (more like free, if you ask the locals).
Petit Manan, or you can take a charter out to the ocean to catch some whales, puffin, etc.

Once you leave Ellsworth, you leave WiFi. Cell service drops everywhere but the 1 and 1A.

Each town is very small, Machias is the hotbed other than Ellsworth (ha ha ha).

Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 AM

Thanks very much for the good ideas so far. I was looking at the Cutter reserve, with campsites up on the cliff overlooking the ocean. Looks very scenic. (Yeah I know, no wifi.)

Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Don't forget Eastport

Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Here's info on libraries in Washington County. Washington County Public Libraries

Do you have a DeLorme atlas? https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML//DE...&section=10096

Old 07-31-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Here's info on libraries in Washington County. Washington County Public Libraries

Do you have a DeLorme atlas? https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML//DE...&section=10096
Thanks for the library link. That's helpful. Yes, I have a DeLorme atlas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine