Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times

Advertisements

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary by visiting Maine, Kathryn! I am very glad that you and your husband had a great time here. I am not a Maine native, and I remember how I felt when I finally got to visit this beautiful state. It felt like I had come home. Autumn and winter are my favorite seasons, so we headed north when my husband retired from the military.

Your visit came at a *perfect* time. Last week's weather was simply gorgeous. Gorgeous!!! We drove to Camden to hike around and on another day drove to Reid State Park (Georgetown, Maine). You probably did not even need gloves or fleece, but I do hope you found time to stop at Renys for some wonderful things (including Maine food items) to take home with you!

Thank you again for sharing your experience here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, and just for the record, we spent several days in Massachusetts - mainly in the Boston and Concord area. We MUCH prefer Maine - not only the scenery, but the people as well. I'm glad we saw what we saw in MA, but there's no need for us to go back - we're going to fly straight into Portland next time and completely bypass MA.
I wish I could bypass MA for ME....LOL, we live in MA.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Oh, and just for the record, we spent several days in Massachusetts - mainly in the Boston and Concord area. We MUCH prefer Maine - not only the scenery, but the people as well. I'm glad we saw what we saw in MA, but there's no need for us to go back - we're going to fly straight into Portland next time and completely bypass MA.
I should add, though, that Western Mass and the Berkshires are far, far nicer (and more beautiful, with small towns, a couple of artsy small cities, and rolling hills) than Worcester east to Boston. Still, Maine's the best.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Don't get me wrong - MA was beautiful but it was very congested and coming from Texas (an hour or so outside of a major metro area) we're just not used to all that congestion and non stop traffic. So Maine's pace was more comfortable to us.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:56 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I was in Maine last month and visited MDI and Acadia National Park for the first time. It was great, a bit more crowded than I expected, but nice weather overall- although almost too hot. I was able to go over to the Winter Harbor section of Acadia, very nice and peaceful over there!

Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM

We only went along the coast but I bet so much of the state is beautiful. We're definitely going back.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:32 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
Quote:
I wish more younger people would stay - they are the lifeblood of any state. I wonder why they are moving away? It would seem to me that Maine would be a great place to raise kids.
If I didn't live in NYC I would live in Maine! I'm 34 and I'm obsessed/love Maine soooooo much. I'm a California native, and it'll always be home, but I'd lived there all my life and decided to move to the East coast this past year, like I've been wanting to do for so long. Maine is such a special place, I would move there in a heartbeat if I wasn't doing singing/music here in NYC. I wanted to visit this year but the cost of moving has made it hard to take a vacation of any kind, so quickly after moving.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
We only went along the coast but I bet so much of the state is beautiful. We're definitely going back.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong - MA was beautiful but it was very congested and coming from Texas (an hour or so outside of a major metro area) we're just not used to all that congestion and non stop traffic. So Maine's pace was more comfortable to us.
If you liked the scenery and the pace of Maine, you'd probably really like the Maritime provinces in Canada. Very uncrowded and rugged coastline up in Nova Scotia and pastoral beauty and beaches on Prince Edward Island. There is a ferry service from Portland to Yarmouth, NS. Not to steal Maine's sunshine, it's awesome. It just sounds like you'd probably appreciate the Canadian Maritimes for a similar yet different experience.

I agree Massachusetts is both beautiful and a bit of a rat race around Boston. My favorite parts of Maine are Bar Harbor/Acadia and Moosehead Lake. I haven't seen Mt. Katahdin, but I'd love to explore that area. Monhegan Island is also on the bucket list.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-11-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 PM

175 posts, read 203,637 times
How would winters in coastal Maine compare to winters in the Midwest?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Yes, let's talk about winters in Maine, especially along the coast. I noticed that many places just close up around the middle of October - is it that bad? That sort of freaks me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine