Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,323 times

Advertisements

Hi just wondering if anyone commutes from Boston to Southern Maine? I started a similar thread in the Boston forum but thought I would get a different perspective here. My spouse and I would be living in Boston but I have a job opportunity southwest of Portland. I am interested in doing the commute to Southern Maine from Boston (northern suburbs). I grew up with cold and snow so that won't be a shock but I'm concerned about traffic time. My spouse has an opportunity in Boston so naturally we have to live where she will work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Check the train schedule for the Downeaster. If you drive, you would be going opposite the heavy commuter traffic. Many Mainers have a "winter rat" which is a worn out car suitable for driving on salted pads. They are considered to be disposable.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
If you are planning on making the round trip drive daily, I would vote "no," unless the drive is one hour or less each way under normal conditions. ... just my opinion, of course. A person's gotta do what they think they gotta do. http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/schedules

Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 PM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
The Downeaster is NOT a commuter train by a long shot. Just look at the schedule. The earliest train on M-F leaves Boston at 9:05 am. The next one leaves at 5:00 pm.

Not only does it run infrequently, it's rarely on time (it's 3rd priority to MBTA rail and freight traffic so it's constantly waiting at pull outs), and the schedule isn't close to being aligned with the typical workday schedule. Driving will be much faster and more convenient. And assuming your workplace doesn't happen to be right at a Downeaster stop, driving will be more direct. The Downeaster is geared more for Mainers going to Boston for a day than it is for commuters or even people from MA going to Maine for a day. Fares aren't reasonable for daily commutes either.

If you don't want to drive, there are buses that make the trip faster and more frequently. But driving is far and away the best (really the only) option.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:01 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
its mostly highway driving

there are times to avoid if you have to drive thru boston...it does get congested

from southern maine .....it should be less than one hr to boston , if you follow a mass. driver....you can make it in half the time

Old 10-17-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its mostly highway driving

there are times to avoid if you have to drive thru boston...it does get congested

from southern maine .....it should be less than one hr to boston , if you follow a mass. Driver....you can make it in half the time
lol

Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Downeaster is NOT a commuter train by a long shot. Just look at the schedule. The earliest train on M-F leaves Boston at 9:05 am. The next one leaves at 5:00 pm.

Not only does it run infrequently, it's rarely on time (it's 3rd priority to MBTA rail and freight traffic so it's constantly waiting at pull outs), and the schedule isn't close to being aligned with the typical workday schedule. Driving will be much faster and more convenient. And assuming your workplace doesn't happen to be right at a Downeaster stop, driving will be more direct. The Downeaster is geared more for Mainers going to Boston for a day than it is for commuters or even people from MA going to Maine for a day. Fares aren't reasonable for daily commutes either.

If you don't want to drive, there are buses that make the trip faster and more frequently. But driving is far and away the best (really the only) option.
Maybe he has a flexible or very flexible schedule lol . How about look for a job closer to his home in the Boston area as an option? or ask his employer if he can work at home, live in Maine during the week and go home on weekends?... just a few option suggestions.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-17-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 05:46 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Between '82& '84 I commuted from York to Woburn for a while, it really wasn't that great, it's a long haul for going to work. But, assuming you are working 'normal' hours, you will be going opposite the bulk of the traffic each way- most of the commuters will be running south in the AM and north in the PM.

If you can stay away from Malfunction Junction (the Rt. 93/95 interchange in Woburn) you'll be a lot better off.

Which suburb are you planning to start from? I know the area fairly well, since I lived and worked there for a good many years, and a number of my jobs included lots of driving in a lot of the towns. (I have a house in one of them, if you are looking to buy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: