Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,544 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you have moved already but I wouldn't recommend maine. I moved to Maine and I am leaving after one month. You mentioned that there is a drug problem where you live. There is also a huge problem in Maine. It's a great place for a vacation, but living here is another story. If you do come to Maine, I'd certainly recommend staying in Southern Maine around Portland. The further north you go ....the less there is to do..there is more of a drug problem...there's old infrastructure...and in my case I found that the snow removal was horrible compared to southern New England. I thought it would be better because they have more snow, but that's not the case. The Portland area is nice. It reminds me of Providence, RI a bit. It can be expensive, although what is expensive to me may not be expensive to you (especially as a nurse). There aren't many jobs, although healthcare is a good field to be in here. I have heard the pay isn't as good as it is elsewhere though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherenextmissy View Post
I don't know if you have moved already but I wouldn't recommend maine. I moved to Maine and I am leaving after one month. You mentioned that there is a drug problem where you live. There is also a huge problem in Maine. It's a great place for a vacation, but living here is another story. If you do come to Maine, I'd certainly recommend staying in Southern Maine around Portland. The further north you go ....the less there is to do..there is more of a drug problem...there's old infrastructure...and in my case I found that the snow removal was horrible compared to southern New England. I thought it would be better because they have more snow, but that's not the case. The Portland area is nice. It reminds me of Providence, RI a bit. It can be expensive, although what is expensive to me may not be expensive to you (especially as a nurse). There aren't many jobs, although healthcare is a good field to be in here. I have heard the pay isn't as good as it is elsewhere though.

If you are leaving after only one month, you haven't experienced Maine at all. We live in Eastport where there is currently 38 inches of snow. You are never going to find your perfect place to live if you only give a month to figure out whether any place is for you.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
To each his own, and you are certaintly entitled to your opinion. You have every right to it. But in your posts, you have asked for informaton about a whole bunch of very different states, and don't seem to know WHAT you want. (My opinion). I salute you for giving Maine a try, but a month?? In the middle of the winter?? lol..........not exactly the best time of year, unless you are really into winter sports.

Drugs are worse in the cities, no question. Yes, it's getting worse in rural Maine, but notwhere near as bad (I have a unique perspective/opportunity to know what's going on with urban New England and rural Maine).

I'm not sure what you mean by "old infrastructure".
Snow removal (at least in northern Maine) is the best anywhere. I don't know what part of Maine you are talking about.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM

168 posts, read 150,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
We live in York County, and love it. Just want to say my husband is a union guy and he works out of Boston, about 75 minutes away. We used to live in Chicago, and his commute there was twice as long, so you might want to consider some of the towns near the border with NH, like Kittery Point, York or Eliot.
Eliot is a very nice quiet little town that's close to everything.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Quote:
All of this is so wrong for where I live.

I live on MDI. I admit that most people can't live on MDI(actually I couldn't live on MDI now, since I bought a house here in 2007, and its now worth more than I can afford), but Ellsworth is livable for most people.

While there may be a drug problem its not scary except for the people who are doing it. We don't live in fear of burglaries due to drugs. They are rare.

As to things to do in the winter, we could be out every night if we wanted to from MDI and Ellsworth. There is really so much to do.

Jobs can be an issue since there are only 1.4 million people in Maine. There are more people in Suburban Philly that the whole state of Maine. So no one should come here expecting to just pick up a job. And in rural areas, whether you live in Pa or Maine or Montana, income is always less. Deal with it.

And I don't know what he expects from the roads in the snow, but where I live the roads are drivable before the storm is over. Besides that though, you have to be aware of the need for the right gear if you live in Maine. You need winter tires if you are driving in snow(like Firestone Winterforce or General Arctic Altimax). AWD or 4WD is nice but you van do great with FrontWD and winter tires.

Maine is wonderful. Its the nicest place I ever lived.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 PM

428 posts, read 554,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
All of this is so wrong for where I live.

I live on MDI. I admit that most people can't live on MDI(actually I couldn't live on MDI now, since I bought a house here in 2007, and its now worth more than I can afford), but Ellsworth is livable for most people.

While there may be a drug problem its not scary except for the people who are doing it. We don't live in fear of burglaries due to drugs. They are rare.

As to things to do in the winter, we could be out every night if we wanted to from MDI and Ellsworth. There is really so much to do.

Jobs can be an issue since there are only 1.4 million people in Maine. There are more people in Suburban Philly that the whole state of Maine. So no one should come here expecting to just pick up a job. And in rural areas, whether you live in Pa or Maine or Montana, income is always less. Deal with it.

And I don't know what he expects from the roads in the snow, but where I live the roads are drivable before the storm is over. Besides that though, you have to be aware of the need for the right gear if you live in Maine. You need winter tires if you are driving in snow(like Firestone Winterforce or General Arctic Altimax). AWD or 4WD is nice but you van do great with FrontWD and winter tires.

Maine is wonderful. Its the nicest place I ever lived.
I am probably the polar opposite of slyfox, but I agree with him that Maine is the best place I have ever lived. It is what you make of it.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:00 AM

5 posts, read 4,544 times
This was simply my opinion from my own perspective of time spent in the Waterville/Fairfield area. I understand that not every part of Maine is the same. I'm not saying it's a terrible terrible place. Yes it is paradise for some people. It just wasn't paradise for me. No I don't know exactly what I want in a place to live..I am working on it. I do know my next move will be to a warmer climate. New Englanders are so proud sometimes (myself included). We are certainly defensive when people start to talk about our states. I've heard some things said by Mainers about RI and Pacific Northwesterners about New England that made my blood boil. Everyone has unique experiences that give them a sort of biased opinion when they live or visit a place. The great thing about this site is that we get to see info that's sort of all over the spectrum in order to try to shape our own picture of a place. Yes Maine can be beautiful. Please don't take my post so personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine