Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 AM

47,927 posts, read 21,914,544 times

Advertisements

Mermaid, The true chestnut like in Longfellow's poem "under the spreading chestnut tree the village smithee stands" was an edible american chestnut that sucombed to a virus much as the elm trees. The horse chestnut is the same as the Ohio Buckeye. It is a tree of my childhood, as when the frost popped the prickly husks opened and the mahogany colored nuts fell, we kids would collect them. They had no earthly use but looked so shiny and pretty, and you could throw them or roll them under on coming cars, that there was quite a contest in my little town to see who could collect the most. Buckeyes are not edible. The tree has lovely flowers in the spring and a very pretty rounded full crown. The leaves are compound, rather like a large green hand, and they turn a lovely golden color in fall. (but they are messy trees)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,439,657 times
Elston, I did google it and had no idea it was related to the buck-eye! Great info, Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,058,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
No Klugh- You mentioned Dutch Elm disease. You must remember the canopy of the elms over Main Street in Yarmouth when we were growing up there..
I try to describe this to people and they look at me like I have two heads. Those trees we're beautifil and so majestic. It really was like driving through a tunnel when the leaves were out. Such a loss....
I just read your post to him over the phone, he happened to call when I was reading this, and he says he agrees, it was a loss. He mentions how it changed not only the appearance, but there was a completely different feeling through there after that. We had the same thing happen in Eastport....when I was growing up you couldn't look down Key Street for all of the trees....they had to be cut down while I was away at college. At least Herbie made it though!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 PM

119 posts, read 262,698 times
I live in this area and I will put in my 2c.
Freeport is very busy and touristy, the traffic through town can be horrible at times. I do everything I can to avoid it.

"Keeping up with the Joneses" IS what Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth are all about.

Of the communities you have listed I would narrow it down to Yarmouth or Cumberland. With the edge going to Yarmouth.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Hi everyone, I am new to the whole posting thing. I have been offered a position in the Southern Maine area, and I am nervous about the move there. I know it is not a huge move from CT but any move is very stressful. I was hoping someone would be able to offer some information regarding ways to make friends and meet new people.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Maine View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to the whole posting thing. I have been offered a position in the Southern Maine area, and I am nervous about the move there. I know it is not a huge move from CT but any move is very stressful. I was hoping someone would be able to offer some information regarding ways to make friends and meet new people.

Go to the local community events and just talk to whomever is sitting near you.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,070,196 times
Quote:
mainers are generally a gregarious bunch, and we live by the golden rule, be nice to others and they will be nice to you,,

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,481,109 times
Dutch elm disease, pine beetles, and the chesnut blight. There are no parts of the country that escaped the death of their most precious resource, trees. We forget how precious they are until they are gone. That is what happens when we take advantage of our earth. The earth cries out, on her own naturally, and because of man. Believe me, I am not a tree hugger here, just a realist, who knows what man and nature can do.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,205,278 times
Quote:
How big is the company you're joining? That could be your first source.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,597,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Mermaid, The true chestnut like in Longfellow's poem "under the spreading chestnut tree the village smithee stands" was an edible american chestnut that sucombed to a virus much as the elm trees. The horse chestnut is the same as the Ohio Buckeye. It is a tree of my childhood, as when the frost popped the prickly husks opened and the mahogany colored nuts fell, we kids would collect them. They had no earthly use but looked so shiny and pretty, and you could throw them or roll them under on coming cars, that there was quite a contest in my little town to see who could collect the most. Buckeyes are not edible. The tree has lovely flowers in the spring and a very pretty rounded full crown. The leaves are compound, rather like a large green hand, and they turn a lovely golden color in fall. (but they are messy trees)
Horse Chestnuts are fun to throw in the fireplace and listen to them pop! They smell kind of nice after they pop open. We collect a basket of them every year and every spring we throw them out in the woods! Never have seen any baby chestnut trees where we throw them though. I think they are a nice looking tree just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine