Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Bates, Bowdoin, Colby are all great private schools in Maine.
They are also essentially Ivy League--without the Ivy. All three schools are ace and because of their prestige they attract students from all over the world and in many cases are perspective students first or second choice if they do not get accepted in Princeton or Harvard, etc. Competition for admittance is pretty hard-core, and they only accept a very small number of transfer students a year.

Being an English major or CSCL gives you a lot of flexibility as to where you can go since every liberal arts college offers these programs. That puts you in a position to chose from many schools in Maine that will fit your bill of what you are looking for. Google Maine colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Hi Alli. NOT trying to discourage you here or get off-topic, but from what I've read the roads are terrible many parts of Maine. That being said, you will likely still be much happier in Maine for all the other reasons you've listed. Here are a couple of links to related threads.

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine/267457-roads.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ost-heave.html

That being said, please do not let this keep you from wanting to make the move! Bowdoin College has an excellent reputation, and many accomplished alums to prove it.

NOT if the plow packs the snow down in them! Write down the pro's and con's you'll see more pros garunteed.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I've been 430 miles today. It's the 75 miles of rough road I remember most. Note to self: don't drink so much coffee next time.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 AM

36 posts, read 86,430 times
Farmington is a cute little town, but it's far from the coast and I have no idea what culture it has.

Machias has the coast, but probably not much culture and it's really, really remote. I couldn't live that far out and your teaching options will probably be few.

Orono is a sweet little town with culture, but its a big (by Maine standards) university on the edge of a large (by Maine standards) metro area. You could live someone out in the boonies if you want to get away from a lot of it.

Brunswick is a gorgeous little town and Bowdoin a beautiful campus. Between Brunswick and neighboring Topsham you have three Starbucks, two MacDonalds, Burger King, two Wendy's, and the whole big box store experience. You could live cheaply somewhere outlying like Bowdoinham, but you'd need to be hardy and self-reliant--able to plow yourself out, haul your own wood, etc. as small town living is remote and challenging. Actually, you'd probably need to do that in Machias, Farmington, etc. or anywhere that you lived out in the country.

I think you should sit down and study what kinds of salaries you could expect in some of these remote areas. And, look at the cost of living. Maine housing is expensive when compared to other regions like The South, and heating costs are very expensive. Anything very near the water is going to be higher priced. You might find that your dream is very pricey.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:25 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
The culture rut again.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Good gawd, not again.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
no kidding!! it's sickening.

and honestly??? MACHIAS remote??? Now if you said Clayton Lake, then yup, I'd say remote....but Machias? and teaching options? Heavens no....none here! Better let MaineMath and me and oh well, you get the idea.....

there must be another Machias, Maine.

I'm thinking that the Washington County Children's Chorus, you know, the one that went to Europe about four years ago, probably wouldn't appreciate that remark either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine