Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM

993 posts, read 766,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
I think Walmart may sell fruitcakes, the square brick kind. We would give my dad one for Christmas and he would keep it in his car as winter survival food since they last forever.
LOL! Are you serious? That's hilarious and pretty darn smart too. Sharp Daddyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up The Monks make tasty fruit cakes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
For the last three years I have not been able to find fruit cakes in local stores. Our daughter-in-law sent away to Vermont and bought one for us last year, but they are around $50. It was delicious and much appreciated, but we asked her not to spend that much again.

Grocery stores used to stock round fruitcakes in tins and square ones about 2 inches square and 10 inches long wrapped in clear film. I asked a girl in a store today if they had fruit cakes and she said, "What's a fruit cake?" There is a Christmas Tree Shop in Bangor next to Harbor Freight and I'll stop there. Maybe they will have a fruit cake. It it's fifty bucks, I'll pass on it.

Hello NMLM,

Through the year I always see different fruit cakes sold by Monks on Amazon, in the range of $11-$15 (one company is out of Oregon) And if you buy a certain amount on Amazon, you get free shipping

Check Amazon out, because I think they also have one sold by Claxton for about $11.

To get the best deals, it has to say sold & shipped by Amazon, if a third party is involved it is going to be more expensive

MERRY CHRISTMAS & a HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017!

COUNTRY

EDIT: I checked out CLAXTON Fruitcakes on AMAZON, a 2LB fruitcake sells for $11, and a 3LB for $19

Last edited by countrylv22; 12-16-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 06:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Thanks. I have two on the way from a CD regular.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:25 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Out here, (San Diego) I'm not seeing fruitcakes either. What we get in the stores are panettones, which for the benefit of those not familiar are an Italian creation that is a cross between a fruitcake and raisin bread. It's lighter and "breadier" than fruitcake, with not as much fruit and nuts, mostly raisins with candied orange, papaya, and citron. However, they are sweeter and "cakier" than raisin bread with more variety of fruit. Here, they sell for $5 and are well worth a try if you haven't had one. Warning to the lushes on this board, I doubt they hold up as well to being brandied.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Now I'm craving a Claxton fruit cake. Didn't nuts go up in price? Could that be why we can't find fruit cakes? I haven't gone looking yet. I'm not going near a store until after Christmas.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 PM

77 posts, read 84,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
LOL! Are you serious? That's hilarious and pretty darn smart too. Sharp Daddyo.
Haha, yes that was my Dad, always prepared. This is why I have water, nuts, extra socks, gloves, a length of rope, a whistle, a punch to break the window and a sawed off hockey stick that says "hood stick" in my car(this is to defend myself with, but it's just the stick I use to prop my hood up with )
Also, always at least a half tank of gas and 5 bucks in the glove box.
Eventually, I think he would eat the fruitcake as I remember being grossed out by it. All that mystery fruit.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:32 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
Haha, yes that was my Dad, always prepared. This is why I have water, nuts, extra socks, gloves, a length of rope, a whistle, a punch to break the window and a sawed off hockey stick that says "hood stick" in my car(this is to defend myself with, but it's just the stick I use to prop my hood up with )
Also, always at least a half tank of gas and 5 bucks in the glove box.
Eventually, I think he would eat the fruitcake as I remember being grossed out by it. All that mystery fruit.
My father always made sure my vehicles were stocked with an ax handle, and he gave me detailed training on how to use one.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebdark View Post
My father always made sure my vehicles were stocked with an ax handle, and he gave me detailed training on how to use one.
Antique oak police baton in one, Monadnock PR-24 in the other.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:06 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I guess there were so many fruitcake jokes that people stopped buying them - though I have seen what I would call the 'cheaper version' (light coloured, not completely packed with fruit and nuts, wrapped in cello not packed in nice cans) this year in grocery stores further south than Maine.

I make my own - not that hard to do .. though they do take several bowls and a fair while in the oven but I am used to that since I have been making them for many years now - even for wedding cakes which was the tradition in Canada for all of my earlier life. The fruit is marinated in rum and bourbon for a year or so before going into the cake. I keep a huge jar of it going all the time (figure even if I don't get around to cakes near the holidays that it will make a very 'warming' survival food if need be). They DO indeed last forever (if you can stop eating them long enough to actually 'get to forever'). One can get drunk on mine.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:22 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
My family members swear these are the best;

https://www.collinstreet.com/online_...vious_url_id=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: