Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times

Advertisements

I love fountain cokes - wish I were someplace where they were still made that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
When I was in Maine I tried a new for me brew called, "Allagash- White" while dining at "The Katahdin" in Portland. I really liked it. It was light and had a yeasty home-brew quality. Very refreshing.......and about that time I really needed to be refreshed! LOL

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was in Maine I tried a new for me brew called, "Allagash- White" while dining at "The Katahdin" in Portland. I really liked it. It was light and had a yeasty home-brew quality. Very refreshing.......and about that time I really needed to be refreshed! LOL
I'M glad you found Allagash White elston. They specialize in Belgian ales and have won some awards for their efforts.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Zymurgy magazine, saw it, don't think I ever read it.

Papazian's gingermead recipe gave me the idea for my very first brew- a strawberry/raspberry gingermead to be served instead of champagne at my wedding. Coming up with the idea only 18 months before the wedding made it a one-shot deal, I had to get it right the first time because with the long aging that would be involved, there would be no time for a "do over" if it turned out badly. The folks on the usenet rec.crafts.brewing newsgroup were excellent sources of information and reassurance.

I don't know if Papazian is still involved.
I'm sure the internet is a great help. We didn't have the luxury of the net when we were home brewing. It was all books and letters. We used a computer to do the monthly newsletter then mailed them out by hand. It was the dark ages for sure. The meade project sounds interesting. A guy that came to work for me at Gritty's won the state championship with a Raspberry meade he made. That meade was excellent. He gave me one of his last bottles for Christmas one year and it was just like champagne. He tried duplicating it on a few occasions but it was never as good as the one he won with. You know how touchy the stuff can be I'm sure!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,848 times
I hate to bring it up....Bump for Allen's brandy....

Did anyone ever make homeade Coffee Brandy? STINK!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'm sure the internet is a great help. We didn't have the luxury of the net when we were home brewing. It was all books and letters. We used a computer to do the monthly newsletter then mailed them out by hand. It was the dark ages for sure. The meade project sounds interesting. A guy that came to work for me at Gritty's won the state championship with a Raspberry meade he made. That meade was excellent. He gave me one of his last bottles for Christmas one year and it was just like champagne. He tried duplicating it on a few occasions but it was never as good as the one he won with. You know how touchy the stuff can be I'm sure!
Oh, yes. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out, especially when after 8 months in the bottle it still tasted rocket fuel mixed with...uh, nevermind, got to keep it polite here . But by the 12th month it was ready...the testers didn't last beyond the 10th month. It came out like a cross between champagne and rasperry gingerale. It seemed to have more kick than regular champagne, even though the alcohol content was actually lower...or maybe it wasn't. I'm not accounting for the twenty pounds of fruit that went into it.

I've not tried the same recipe again because I doubt it would come out the same but it's been about ten years and I only have two or three bottles left. I've been hoarding the last few bottles that we didn't drink or give away, but the last one I opened seemed to have lost its fizz so I think it's on the decline.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Zymer said, "......seemed to have lost its fizz so I think it's on the decline."

That can happen to the best of us!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM

47 posts, read 123,557 times
Quote:
Allagash is their single biggest selling brew. It's gaining a national following. I haven't been to their new brewhaus, but I hear it is very nice.

Allgash White has allowed them to really have a good revenue stream to still allow them to provide their more creative Belgian brews. The Grand Cru is wonderful, but it'll kick yer butt.

Good brew.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjohannes View Post
Allagash is their single biggest selling brew. It's gaining a national following. I haven't been to their new brewhaus, but I hear it is very nice.

Allgash White has allowed them to really have a good revenue stream to still allow them to provide their more creative Belgian brews. The Grand Cru is wonderful, but it'll kick yer butt.

Good brew.
I will definately give em a try! I was very pleased with the allagash; it would be perfect for a hot summer afternoon.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,745 times
Quote:
Zymer said, "......seemed to have lost its fizz so I think it's on the decline."

That can happen to the best of us!

LOL............isn't that the truth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine