U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 PM

16,826 posts, read 6,850,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has the best snow in the Northeast right now.

Weather Street: U.S. Snow Depth and Snow Accumulation

Last year I did not register a snowmobile for the first time since I got out of the Navy. It was a poor winter for snowmobiling. I put my snowmobile in the shop for the seasonal servicing. I'm having all the plastic tubes replaced in addition to the carb tuneup. It's a 1996 Yamaha VK-540, a beast. I use it for work in addition to recreation. for general use, I recommend long track snowmobiles or "work sleds". Those little short track sleds with high horsepower can get stuck in soft snow.

Have an emergency kit with you to make fire if you are far enough out that you can't walk to a road safely.

This is a pretty cool accessory.

The Snowcraft - Hammacher Schlemmer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM

10,224 posts, read 16,108,851 times
OK, winter fans, we have snow. That's the good news. Snowmobilers and skiers are happy. Ice fishermen; not so much. Here is a little lesson on ice.

The surface temperature of the snow on our lake is about 8 below zero right now. The snow depth is about 18 inches. It's windy and the chill factor is about 20 below. These are facts as of now. Here are some more facts. Snow is a very good insulator. Make an igloo and light a Coleman lantern and you will be warm in there. (I regard 32 degrees with no wind as "warm")

The water under the ice where it contacts the ice is 32 degrees. Here's where it gets complicated. Ice conducts heat very well. With 32 degree water on one side, the ice will soon all be 32 degrees for the same reason that it's 32 degrees in the igloo. If your lake had an inch or two of ice, That will be all the ice that lake may have for quite a while.

There is a new business in Lincoln where a licensed salvage diver can retrieve your pickup truck, snowmobile or relatives from the bottom of a lake. Most of us are creatures of habit. If we went ice fishing on the new year weekend in the past, we expect to be able to to that each year. Don't do that this year. Check with local people before putting much weight on any ice.

There is a condition on our lakes that we call "wetting up". The ice on lakes can develop cracks as it expands. water will flow up through the crack and it is absorbed by the snow. This makes slush. Most snowmobiles are immobilized by slush. Before you stop on a lake at your intentional destination, make a big circle. Go around twice. If your first track get grey or wet looking, do not stop. Keep moving. Check another spot to stop. Tomorrow, you'll be able to stop at your first spot if it has been cold and you will have the strongest spot on the lake to park.

Back around 1985, I brought sled dog racing to Lincoln. The race was scheduled for the second weekend in February. On Christmas Day, 1984, Mattanawkook Lake was wide open shore to shore with no ice. I was looking for an alternative race trail system. Around February 10, there was 22 inches of ice on Mattanawcook Lake. This can happen. It might not happen. Ask the locals.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 12-27-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM

75,034 posts, read 58,600,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, winter fans, we have snow. That's the good news. Snowmobilers and skiers are happy. Ice fishermen; not so much. Here is a little lesson on ice.
Nice post. On that Ice note here's a reminder about thicknesses and weight

https://twitter.com/NWSCaribou/statu...87780281880576

Old 12-27-2017, 06:43 PM

3,926 posts, read 3,276,503 times
Eagle Lake and Echo Lake on MDI always loose a truck, and since they are water supplies it has to be brought up at some expense.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM

321 posts, read 388,532 times
People die every year on our lakes. Know where you're going and don't go alone if you plan to snowmobile on a lake, especially at night. Ice can be quite thick in one spot, and not too far away you can end up close to a thoroughfare and get in trouble. Being in the middle of a lake is often safer than riding around the perimeter for this reason.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:48 AM

5,469 posts, read 2,159,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
People die every year on our lakes. Know where you're going and don't go alone if you plan to snowmobile on a lake, especially at night. Ice can be quite thick in one spot, and not too far away you can end up close to a thoroughfare and get in trouble. Being in the middle of a lake is often safer than riding around the perimeter for this reason.
I've been trying to gather info on sleds but find the forums are all kids obsessed with tricking their machines out to go 130mph. Nothing I'd be interested in.
My only other source has been youtube videos.
So this info is useful.

I'm looking at a 1999 polaris 2 up with E start and rev for $1500 in island falls near me. No interest in fishing or being on a lake without a boat under me. We just want to putter along the trails. The sled is at powersports on rt2 near jerry's food mkt in island falls. It looks ok with no damage except dust from storage. I might get it.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 AM

2,781 posts, read 2,637,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Eagle Lake and Echo Lake on MDI always loose a truck, and since they are water supplies it has to be brought up at some expense.
They lost an airplane! Happened about a week ago.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
NMLM are any of these trails mapped out and if so where can we get them?
If you have gps you can buy and download trail maps, maine is $45. Nice thing is they work after the sun goes down and include interesting sites to visit.
You can buy fold up maps too.

Here.

ME GPS Snowmobile Trail Map

General install info.
http://www.gpstrailmasters.com/gps-t...p-users-guide/

Last edited by jonesg; 12-28-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
This is a pretty cool accessory.

The Snowcraft - Hammacher Schlemmer
$2400 , Thats what i paid for my car!
And it had an engine.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:52 PM

10,224 posts, read 16,108,851 times
Jonesg, We had two Polaris Indy Trail Deluxes from about 1995. They were reliable and never needed any significant repairs. I am now down to one machine. It s a Yamaha VK 540 with high and low range, reverse and a long track. Buy a snowmobile brand that has a servicing dealer near you.

We will likely have a real winter this season. Get yourself some wide skis for the front of your snowmobile. One brand name is Ski Skins. The wide skis will keep your front end up and make riding on soft snow easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine