Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 07:22 PM

428 posts, read 554,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I'm not buying this at all. You have to even the playing field otherwise you have the law of the free market jungle. NOTHING in capitalism requires morals or a heart.
In a free market with no regulation we are back to railroad barons and letting them eat cake!
Ah, the myth of the robber barons. The playing field will never be level. There will always be inequalities. I accept that an appropriate role of government is to impose reasonable safety and environmental regulations. I draw the line when it comes to "leveling the playing field". This can only stifle innovation and progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Maineguy didn't make either of these statements.

If you go back to post#84 you will see he indicates ..."ANY" retirees ,he did allude to it.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I, too, have two friends who worked part time after retirement....at or near minimum wage.
It was mostly just to give them something to do.

Pretty sure many of the employees at LL.Beans in Freeport are part time .I know for sure that three of them are retired from a former job.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
Quote:
Ah, the myth of the robber barons. The playing field will never be level. There will always be inequalities. I accept that an appropriate role of government is to impose reasonable safety and environmental regulations. I draw the line when it comes to "leveling the playing field". This can only stifle innovation and progress.
Actually, it's not a myth since they existed!

I've lived through the post WW2 boom and have since seen the collapse of union jobs, offshore production and the barbell economy... I'll take Trumps' version of 'Build it Here' as long as wages are not the same a building it in Mexico.
I'm also strongly in favor of levelling the playing fields, not only the strong should survive.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
If you go back to post#84 you will see he indicates ..."ANY" retirees ,he did allude to it.
He said he doesn't know any retires working for MW not that there aren't any retirees in Maine working for MW. He also said he knows many people not all retirees in Maine. Learn to read.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Pretty sure many of the employees at LL.Beans in Freeport are part time .I know for sure that three of them are retired from a former job.

Were they making minimum wage??

Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not a myth since they existed!

I've lived through the post WW2 boom and have since seen the collapse of union jobs, offshore production and the barbell economy... I'll take Trumps' version of 'Build it Here' as long as wages are not the same a building it in Mexico.
I'm also strongly in favor of levelling the playing fields, not only the strong should survive.
These so called "robber barons" were responsible for making the US economy the strongest in the world and enabling our current standard of living. Google "robber barons contributions". Levelling the playing field stifles innovation and progress an leads to mediocrity.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
I'm not buying this at all. You have to even the playing field otherwise you have the law of the free market jungle. NOTHING in capitalism requires morals or a heart.

In a free market with no regulation we are back to railroad barons and letting them eat cake!
What does Marie-Antoinette have to do with this?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
He said he doesn't know any retires working for MW not that there aren't any retirees in Maine working for MW. He also said he knows many people not all retirees in Maine. Learn to read.
I can, he did and have a nice day.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
I am going to assume that the LL Bean worker/retirees were not making minimum wage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine