Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 02:33 PM

18,564 posts, read 10,489,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Wait, wait , wait You were just talking about wanting to talk to a real employee, on page 20.

I guess now the truth comes out, So tell me how many travel agents, ticket counter people, Kiosk repair people have you put out of work?

You must be one of those evil business owners looking to throw there workers out on the street.

LOL...give a liberal enough rope and they will tie themselves up in a nice knot of hypocrisy.

RR
LOL, Even your spin is very deranged.I still deal with the lovely people at the counter while you are still waiting in line to print your boarding pass becuase if you are such a "world traveler as you say,you would know()you still must check in .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,822,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, Even your spin is very deranged.I still deal with the lovely people at the counter while you are still waiting in line to print your boarding pass becuase if you are such a "world traveler as you say,you would know()you still must check in .
LOL..... Oh I'm sorry I guess I misinterpreted this little statement,

"Many the minion thinks like you which is why I walk right past you while you are inline at the kiosk waiting to print your boarding pass and I cruse right threw"

So apparently you cruse right thru, past the minions........... on your way to the ticket counter line.

"you still must check in" What The hell are you talking about, Have you ever taken a domestic flight? I've never "checked in", I enter the airport walk up to nearest kiosk (never scene a line at a kiosk, ever) scan a barcode out pops my boarding passes and walk to the TSA area.
Hell I could print my own boarding pass at home if I wanted too, and skip the kiosk altogether.

Just wondering, The last time you took a flight, was Pan Am still an airline.

RR

Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
LOL..... Oh I'm sorry I guess I misinterpreted this little statement,

RR

Yes , you did.But it's nice to know you admit when you're wrong.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,822,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes , you did.But it's nice to know you admit when you're wrong.
Yes I can admit when i'm wrong, can you?

I Can't help but notice that you ignored the rest of my post....Why is that?

Still waiting to here who you are "checking in with" at the airport.

RR

Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Before this thread gets completely derailed, let me ask one more time that everyone drop the side arguments and personal digs and post relevant to the topic of the thread. It would be a shame to have to close this thread before we have a chance to find out if the minimum wage law has changed restaurant employment.

Thought this was appropriate to bring back up.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,188,266 times
My nephews's wife was on TV in Bangor talking about the minimum wage and its impact on the restaurant she works at. Currently, as I understand it, they get the restaurant worker's minimum and if they don't make $5.00 an hour by the end of the week, the restaurant makes it up. She's against the change, even though on its face it would seem to benefit her. She against it because they already have people coming in thinking they don't have to tip because the workers are making "$12.00 an hour." Or simply people that were against the minimum wage and are going to "teach a lesson" by stiffing the servers. This girl has been undergoing radical chemotherapy, and, of course, the employer doesn't cover any healthcare. She's not on Medicaid, and she and the nephew have 2 kids and a new house. They work their tails off. But still, she's against the change because the business will be affected negatively. Maybe they should have left restaurant workers alone. However, I would remind the blind followers that minimum wage exists for one reason. If it didn't, millions would be paid even less. Pensions have disappeared since the early '70's when the frog was put in hot water, administrative and CEO pay and profits skyrocketed and wages have lingered WAY behind while a new cadre of million and billionaires doing next to nothing have been made on the backs of people with nothing. But hey, let them eat cake.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
My nephews's wife was on TV in Bangor talking about the minimum wage and its impact on the restaurant she works at. Currently, as I understand it, they get the restaurant worker's minimum and if they don't make $5.00 an hour by the end of the week, the restaurant makes it up. She's against the change, even though on its face it would seem to benefit her. She against it because they already have people coming in thinking they don't have to tip because the workers are making "$12.00 an hour." Or simply people that were against the minimum wage and are going to "teach a lesson" by stiffing the servers. This girl has been undergoing radical chemotherapy, and, of course, the employer doesn't cover any healthcare. She's not on Medicaid, and she and the nephew have 2 kids and a new house. They work their tails off. But still, she's against the change because the business will be affected negatively. Maybe they should have left restaurant workers alone. However, I would remind the blind followers that minimum wage exists for one reason. If it didn't, millions would be paid even less. Pensions have disappeared since the early '70's when the frog was put in hot water, administrative and CEO pay and profits skyrocketed and wages have lingered WAY behind while a new cadre of million and billionaires doing next to nothing have been made on the backs of people with nothing. But hey, let them eat cake.
Good post!.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 PM

428 posts, read 549,073 times
Quote:
Tipped employees are guaranteed $9.00/Hr. The minimum cash wage is $5.00/Hr. The maximum tip credit is $4.00/Hr.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,188,266 times
Then I didn't understand what she was saying. Haven't worked food service since I ran the bars at the Oronoka back in the '70's. But that sounds way more reasonable than making up the difference to $5.00/hr. Thing is, if restaurants could force people to work for tips only, they would. That's commerce. Make your money and get out. Fact of life. Without some level of regulation, the race to the top by crapping on the bottom would be even worse than it is now.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,520,008 times
Quote:
Then I didn't understand what she was saying. Haven't worked food service since I ran the bars at the Oronoka back in the '70's. But that sounds way more reasonable than making up the difference to $5.00/hr. Thing is, if restaurants could force people to work for tips only, they would. That's commerce. Make your money and get out. Fact of life. Without some level of regulation, the race to the top by crapping on the bottom would be even worse than it is now.
Good post!

Paying somebody minimum wage and complaining about the minimum wage increase is essentially saying that you value the work so little that you'd pay even less if it wasn't against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine