Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
All due respect, if an employer could be trusted to do the right thing and treat an employee the right way then there wouldn't be a need to do this.Am I talking about all employers ,no, many are great people who treat their employees very well but you know the saying, "it only takes a few bad apples to spoil it for the whole bunch".
In a free labor market nobody forces an employee to accept employment for wages that are not agreed on by both employer and employee. Trust has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
In a free labor market nobody forces an employee to accept employment for wages that are not agreed on by both employer and employee. Trust has nothing to do with it.
But there's a fine line between slavery and a living wage. No one should work full-time to still be living in poverty. And most people with minimum wage jobs are NOT teenagers. They are actually "breadwinners" for their household with no practical means of going to college and "bettering" themselves. There is tons of evidence on this. It is a national disgrace that despite rapidly increasing productivity in this country over the past 30 years, that wages have stagnated for the middle class.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah ok.

This is just a small list of "Basic Labor Laws" in Maine,if what you are saying is true then why do you need these laws to protect employees?I mean you are saying I should not trust my employer,right?

Basics of Maine's Employment Laws - Lawyers.com

Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But there's a fine line between slavery and a living wage. No one should work full-time to still be living in poverty. And most people with minimum wage jobs are NOT teenagers. They are actually "breadwinners" for their household with no practical means of going to college and "bettering" themselves. There is tons of evidence on this. It is a national disgrace that despite rapidly increasing productivity in this country over the past 30 years, that wages have stagnated for the middle class.
Maybe not teenagers, but definitely young and not "breadwinners" according to BLS:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2016/home.htm

Here is an alternative view of the productivity vs wages argument:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#1923682039cc

Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
LOL, yeah ok.

This is just a small list of "Basic Labor Laws" in Maine,if what you are saying is true then why do you need these laws to protect employees?I mean you are saying I should not trust my employer,right?

Basics of Maine's Employment Laws - Lawyers.com
I never said that no laws are necessary to protect employees, just that wages should be negotiated between employee and employer. I would not work for an employer I didn't trust.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I never said that no laws are necessary to protect employees, just that wages should be negotiated between employee and employer. I would not work for an employer I didn't trust.

I have had jobs where I trust the employer it 's his or her managers that run the business and can't be trusted ,same thing.I say this becuase I have won legal case's against employers in both situations.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Many employers are raking in record profits and paying ridiculously low wages. They can afford to pay a higher wage.

If an employer cannot afford to pay a minimum wage of $15 an hour or whatever, then they should restructure their business or go OUT of business. Human time is worth at least $12-15 an hour.

If employers could get away with paying $1 an hour, believe me, they would.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I have had jobs where I trust the employer it 's his or her managers that run the business and can't be trusted ,same thing.I say this becuase I have won legal case's against employers in both situations.
I agree that employers and managers acting on behalf of employers should be held accountable for their actions. Taking legal action against employers that are violating the law is the right thing to do.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Many employers are raking in record profits and paying ridiculously low wages. They can afford to pay a higher wage.

If an employer cannot afford to pay a minimum wage of $15 an hour or whatever, then they should restructure their business or go OUT of business. Human time is worth at least $12-15 an hour.

If employers could get away with paying $1 an hour, believe me, they would.
For the sake of this discussion (wait staff in restaurants being let go), that $12-15 does not include tips.

And for the record, not all employees are worth $12-15 an hour (or even $9). Perhaps forcing businesses to pay more would help them all attract better employees, but that is a whole other discussion.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
For the sake of this discussion (wait staff in restaurants being let go), that $12-15 does not include tips.

And for the record, not all employees are worth $12-15 an hour (or even $9). Perhaps forcing businesses to pay more would help them all attract better employees, but that is a whole other discussion.
If an employee is not doing the job paying them less is not the answer,just as an employee doing the job should be paid what he is worth.I will repeat what I said earlier....it's not all employers I admit that but the few who did and do take advantage have made this happen,blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine