Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 14,090 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My husband and I found a beautiful home on some acres in Waterboro. We know nothing about this city or what life is like here? We have kids so schooling is roughly 13min away. We can't wait to live on some land and in peace, away from population or the crowd that city life brings. I don't mind neighbors and I have been reading endless forums about 'Life in Maine' and so far everything lines up in what we want our next home to be like. I have lived all over the US w/TX & CA being the longest states I've lived in. TX was great but CA, guess it was good while it lasted but it is overpopulated and too many things to list. I do not know what it's like to live in the snow or New England at that. I have visited NH a few times and I loved the crisp fresh air, I loved Xmas time over there, it's beautiful, and very peaceful away from people. Can anyone give me an idea of what this city is like: weather, people, education, work, entertainment outdoors etc. I want acres to grow our own garden and raise our own food, safe schools, nice kids, family oriented folks, local grocery stores, is it incorporated etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Nice area. My son lived there for a few years. Lots of general stores nearby. There is a nice fish and game club with good ranges in North Berwick. NH is close by with no sales taxes. Schools are good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboro,_Maine

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM

428 posts, read 554,312 times
I live in Shapleigh which is the next town over. I second NMLMs comments. There is a Hannaford an a very nice little market - Cornerstone Country Market. The population density is fairly low and most of the town is zoned rural. From your comments I believe you will be very happy there.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Thank you guys for your responses!! I can't find personal info on google or anyone actually living in waterboro so all this helps a lot! Only thing left is to find out how to deal w/harsh winters and snow etc, i am clueless when it comes to living life out there but I've always wanted a rural lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM

428 posts, read 554,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimichanga View Post
Thank you guys for your responses!! I can't find personal info on google or anyone actually living in waterboro so all this helps a lot! Only thing left is to find out how to deal w/harsh winters and snow etc, i am clueless when it comes to living life out there but I've always wanted a rural lifestyle.
Get a good snowblower. Generator is highly recommended. Dress in layers. Good boots are a must. Mittens are warmer than gloves. Keep a couple days food on hand. Others will have more advice.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks Kevin. I've done a ton of research via google searches about the things you've listed. I love to read others who left west/Midwest to live a rural life in New England...some happy some sad. I like hearing firsthand from someone who is a native. Guess it's all mixed info, I'd have to visit or experience for myself. So far I hear nothing but good things but keep reading these WINTER warnings. I'm sure we're going to love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine