Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times

Advertisements

I wasn't aware that orchard land -- or any other type of ag land -- is taxed differently than other open space in Maine. And I can't find anything about it on the web. Do you have details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I wasn't aware that orchard land -- or any other type of ag land -- is taxed differently than other open space in Maine. And I can't find anything about it on the web. Do you have details?
Here you go

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax - Bulletin 20 - Farmland Tax Law

Quote:
PASTURE LAND ...Land devoted to the production of forage plants consumed by animals. This includes grazing land, hay, ensilage, corn for ensilage and any other crops grown for forage.
$325 per acre suggested value - observed range $100 - $525.

CROP LAND ...Land used for field grown crops such as a typical Maine potato farm. This would include usual crops grown in rotation with potatoes - corn for grain, small grains, lupines, broccoli, etc.
$400 per acre suggested value - observed range $150 - $600.

BLUEBERRY LAND ...Land devoted to production of wild low-bush blueberries.
$400 per acre suggested value - observed range $200 - $800.

HORTICULTURAL LAND I (EDIBLE) ...Land used for intensive vegetable and small fruit production, market gardening, strawberries, raspberries, high-bush blueberries, etc.
$450 per acre suggested value - observed range $350 - $650.

HORTICULTURAL LAND II (ORNAMENTAL) ...Land used for production of planted and cultivated Christmas trees, flowers, sod, shrubs, trees and general nursery stock.
$550 per acre suggested value - observed range $425 - $850.

ORCHARD LAND ...Land devoted to the growth and cultivation of trees bearing edible fruit. There should be a minimum stocking density equivalent to 60 trees per acre.
$450 per acre suggested value - observed range $350 - $800. (For standard/full size varieties)
$650 per acre suggested value - observed range $450 - $1150. (For dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties)

Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Thanks Forest, I couldn't remember where I had seen that list before.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Thanks Forest, I couldn't remember where I had seen that list before.

Whatever I can do to help

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
I appreciate it, too, Forest. I hadn't realized that ag land was valued differently according to how it was used. It looks like someone could drop their valuation just by switching from potatoes to hay.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Don't forget that those figures don't include the taxes specific to the crop. Like the blueberry tax which is $1.50 per 100 pounds.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
grimstuff, back to your original question:

While you can find many wonderful, fresh, tasty and organic produce in Maine from a variety of farms, stands and greenhouses, yes there are some omissions. These include guava, mangos, persimmons, asian pears, avocados, and artichokes among others.

However most of those I believe are really are not too common place in the traditional North Eastern diet. They are substituted instead by local specialties: fresh wild blueberries, an amazing variety of apples and tomatoes, potatoes and lettuces, blackberries, and fiddleheads among others.

Enjoy local produce where you find yourself in this great country!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM

True.

The 'traditional' New England diet does not include a wide variety of fruits and veggies, as it is no longer an ag area. New England does have it's own unique selection of produce however unlike in ag area these are only available during each of there short seasons.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Default just a few thoughts

Even in SoCal, where I lived for a while and also gardened, there were "seasons" for produce... I had tomatoes, squash, other hot season stuff in the summer and lettuce, broccoli, peas, etc that need cooler weather in the winter. Seasonal produce (local, the good stuff) will be different in ME I am sure, and I will begin learning this year.

However, regarding the hunt and gather at the supermarket, I got a head of iceberg lettuce to shred for tacos last night and paid 20 cents less here at Hannifords than I was used to paying at my Food Lion in NC. It said it was from Salinis, CA and it was a good head, solid and not rusty. Hannifords seemed to have as large a variety and as good produce as I am used to at the higher end Lowes Foods in NC.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Even in SoCal, where I lived for a while and also gardened, there were "seasons" for produce... I had tomatoes, squash, other hot season stuff in the summer and lettuce, broccoli, peas, etc that need cooler weather in the winter. Seasonal produce (local, the good stuff) will be different in ME I am sure, and I will begin learning this year.

However, regarding the hunt and gather at the supermarket, I got a head of iceberg lettuce to shred for tacos last night and paid 20 cents less here at Hannifords than I was used to paying at my Food Lion in NC. It said it was from Salinis, CA and it was a good head, solid and not rusty. Hannifords seemed to have as large a variety and as good produce as I am used to at the higher end Lowes Foods in NC.

I've always liked Hannaford's produce and meats. I shop there regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine