U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
32,035 posts, read 52,169,131 times
Reputation: 21493

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
Actually, I do live here. My comments are not ill informed but are based entirely in fact.
Then I do apologize.

From your posts I had gotten the idea that you live in Portland down near the NH border somewhere. You rarely say anything that even sounds remotely like Maine. But if you insist that you are actually in Maine, then I do apologize for my mistaken impression of you.

The OP in this thread was talking about moving to Maine. Did you have something to say that applies to Maine?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
6,934 posts, read 4,691,394 times
Reputation: 5204
Housing in Maine can be very cheap, depending on the part of Maine.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 AM
 
1,453 posts, read 1,862,886 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
Actually, I do live here. My comments are not ill informed but are based entirely in fact.


As an example, for 2016 MERIC rated Maine 38th in cost of living and Texas 9th.
https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ving/index.stm


And http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/d/a/State provides the following breakdown:



Maine has a higher cost of living: Maine is 6% above the national average, while Texas is 11% below
  • Childcare: Maine is 3% above the national average, while Texas is 18% below
  • Food: Maine and Texas are both the same as the national average
  • Healthcare: Maine is 13% above the national average, while Texas is 18% below
  • Housing: Maine is 4% above the national average, while Texas is 4% below
  • Taxes: Maine is 15% above the national average, while Texas is 39% below
  • Transportation: Maine is 3% above the national average, while Texas is 1% below
I suspect that Childcare, Healthcare, etc. weigh on taxes, and you likely get (well, whatever you can get when government is involved) what you pay for. I'm gonna guess Mainers fare better in those arenas - lower income Mainers anyway. And if you look out the window, you can see where some of the transportation expense arises.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM
 
138 posts, read 104,667 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Then I do apologize.

From your posts I had gotten the idea that you live in Portland down near the NH border somewhere. You rarely say anything that even sounds remotely like Maine. But if you insist that you are actually in Maine, then I do apologize for my mistaken impression of you.

The OP in this thread was talking about moving to Maine. Did you have something to say that applies to Maine?
What is it about my post that makes you think I am from "Portland near the NH border somewhere" Mr. California and is that not Maine?
Is it because I use facts instead of hyperbole, guessing and circular reasoning?
Regarding weather I have something to offer the poster from Texas that applies to Maine, did you read my post detailing cost of living in Maine vs Texas?
I am indeed from here. I have paddled all the major rivers in Maine at least once. I have hiked the Whites summer and winter and paddled and sailed most of the coast all the way to Eastport. I have done a fair amount of backcountry skiing in Baxter and the region around Greenville. I have climbed Katahdin summer and winter. My brother has a farm in Perham.
As it happens I have a job that has taken me to almost every city in America and all over the world. I even had to live in Texas for the better part of a year, so yes, I consider myself qualified to comment on this topic. Perhaps even more so that a transplanted realator from California.
Just keeping it real.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 1,089,161 times
Reputation: 726
Statistically Maine as a whole does have a slightly higher COL, although its very high around Portland and the coast, bringing the average up. Other areas ive researched (most of the state) are within 5-10% of the national average in either direction. Portland costs more than bangor, which is more than fort kent, which is more than Sub's unorganized township.

Just through driving through it i notice the prices in the more vacation prone areas are more expensive than my neck of MA, and the areas right outside are about the same. Then when driving through Northern Maine (north of bangor, but away from Katahdin), ive notices that prices drop dramitically, although alot of food prices dont change much besides potatoes which are alot cheaper. I attribute the later to the distance from the Midwest (Maine is a farm-heavy state, but as NMLM says alot, its output is decreasing, as well the main crop is potatoes/blueberries, with what ive noticed as few largescale animal or grain operations).

So Maine is not your small cheap Kansas farming community, but it is not a Beverly hills either, infact it ranks just about average many upper midwestern states, and some rural "touristy" states like Montana that have similar High-Low col divides.

For reference Sterling lists the following
Maine 97.6
Montana 102.8
Minnesota 103.5
Pennsylvania 96.6
Massachusetts 137.7
Californa 152.3
Alaska 135.2
Texas 90.4

For comparison within Maine
Portland 122.6
Bangor 100.1 (average)
Fort Kent 89.9
Caribou 89.6
Millinocket 85.5
Ashland 82.8
Skowhegan 87.1
Dover Foxcroft 90.8
Greenville 94.9
Gray 108.9
Augusta 95.6
Presque Isle 95.2

See the pattern, bigger towns down south cost more than the national average (portland takes the cake at 122.6 (suprising as most state capitols are near the top). The further north you go the lower it gets, and even caribou, fort kent, and presque isle (Aroostook Counties "cities"), rank lower than the national (and state) average. Rural Aroostook towns even drop all the way down to roughly 80%.

This data only serves to highlight the divide between Maines two districts.

Last edited by TheKezarWoodsman; 02-15-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
10,188 posts, read 15,912,792 times
Reputation: 10573
I don't smoke anything or use any illegal substances. Never did. That said, the availability and variety of mind altering substances figures large in some people's choices of where to live. A cursory awareness of current laws and potential future laws are factors in people's choices of where to locate. I don't pretend to understand it, but facts are facts and correct facts are valuable to those seeking advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM
 
Location: states without income tax ;)
500 posts, read 458,836 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
Honestly we both hate Texas, not so much the politics per se... We are both libertarian in nature, we like our guns and ammo. We like the government leaving us alone and we hate the Texas climate with a passion. Yes Maine is probably the most extreme cold place we could live outside of Alaska but it appears much cheaper to live there than California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington.

I've been researching for a week now as far as Demographics, climate, geography. I'm more interested in finding a good loan originator and I figured maybe you residents would know someone.
You would fit in well with people in NH.

NH has medical pot only but full legal should be down the pike in the next few years. In fact, multiple times the House of Reps has passed full legalization (the only state in the U.S. where legislators passed legal pot, rather than voters making it legal), but the past governor vetoed it. If the house passes legalized pot again this term, I think the new governor will sign it. Watch "101 Reasons Liberty Lives in New Hampshire" on YouTube. If it piques your interest, send me a PM or give me a holler.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,287 posts, read 5,150,288 times
Reputation: 5074
Live in Texas, grew up in MA, college in central Maine. Visit Maine in the dead of winter. Not just Portland, go inland and interact with the locals. Maine is very, very, different than the rest of New England. It's a beautiful place with the lowest crime rate in the nation. but the housing stock is very old, and the economy isn't great. In your industry, you should probably consider MA, too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 AM
 
138 posts, read 104,667 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Statistically Maine as a whole does have a slightly higher COL, although its very high around Portland and the coast, bringing the average up. Other areas ive researched (most of the state) are within 5-10% of the national average in either direction. Portland costs more than bangor, which is more than fort kent, which is more than Sub's unorganized township.

Just through driving through it i notice the prices in the more vacation prone areas are more expensive than my neck of MA, and the areas right outside are about the same. Then when driving through Northern Maine (north of bangor, but away from Katahdin), ive notices that prices drop dramitically, although alot of food prices dont change much besides potatoes which are alot cheaper. I attribute the later to the distance from the Midwest (Maine is a farm-heavy state, but as NMLM says alot, its output is decreasing, as well the main crop is potatoes/blueberries, with what ive noticed as few largescale animal or grain operations).

So Maine is not your small cheap Kansas farming community, but it is not a Beverly hills either, infact it ranks just about average many upper midwestern states, and some rural "touristy" states like Montana that have similar High-Low col divides.

For reference Sterling lists the following
Maine 97.6
Montana 102.8
Minnesota 103.5
Pennsylvania 96.6
Massachusetts 137.7
Californa 152.3
Alaska 135.2
Texas 90.4

For comparison within Maine
Portland 122.6
Bangor 100.1 (average)
Fort Kent 89.9
Caribou 89.6
Millinocket 85.5
Ashland 82.8
Skowhegan 87.1
Dover Foxcroft 90.8
Greenville 94.9
Gray 108.9
Augusta 95.6
Presque Isle 95.2

See the pattern, bigger towns down south cost more than the national average (portland takes the cake at 122.6 (suprising as most state capitols are near the top). The further north you go the lower it gets, and even caribou, fort kent, and presque isle (Aroostook Counties "cities"), rank lower than the national (and state) average. Rural Aroostook towns even drop all the way down to roughly 80%.

This data only serves to highlight the divide between Maines two districts.



I still go back to the 2016 MERIC COL rankings where Maine is 38th and Texas is 9th.
Texas has no state income tax, no annual vehicle property (excise) tax and as of today they pay $0.25 per gallon less than we do for gas AAA Gas Prices
These are just a few examples of things all Mainers, regardless of location have to pay that Texans do not.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
6,934 posts, read 4,691,394 times
Reputation: 5204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
I still go back to the 2016 MERIC COL rankings where Maine is 38th and Texas is 9th.
Texas has no state income tax, no annual vehicle property (excise) tax and as of today they pay $0.25 per gallon less than we do for gas AAA Gas Prices
These are just a few examples of things all Mainers, regardless of location have to pay that Texans do not.
I suspect that, like Maine, cost of living in Texas can vary a lot.....depending on where you are.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top