Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 31,355 times

Advertisements

I've resided in Maine since June, work in New Hampshire. Do I have to pay state income taxes in Maine? The government website I saw says Maine imposes the tax on residents who earn a Maine-source income, but I'm betting they're not letting me off the hook for my 8.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 02:05 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
IRS, state and city tax websites provide accurate and complete information. If we read these websites carefully, we learn the answers to our questions.
If you don't believe or don't understand that information, a wise choice would be to consult a CPA specializing in taxes at any local CPA firm including H&R Block operating within the state of Maine. Such persons know what they're talking about.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
If you live in Maine and work in NH you pay.

If you live in NH and work in Maine you pay.

They are trying to figure out how to tax those who live and work in NH since they pay no income tax and Augusta says that is just wrong.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

They are trying to figure out how to tax those who live and work in NH since they pay no income tax and Augusta says that is just wrong.
Too funny!

when my parents retired and move to Maine..they files in Ma. Maine hounded them for two years requireing proof that they didn't live in Maine that year they moved....

Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
If New Hampshire does not have state income taxes, and that is where 100% of your income comes from, then I would you do not have to pay state income taxes, to anyone. I could be wrong, but I do not see how Maine would have any right to this money, legally.

One thing that I have learned in my life so far is there are certain situations in which you should just keep your mouth shut. Currently, they may not be aware of your sitution. If you ask them for advice they will always tell you what is best for them - to give them your money!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:22 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If New Hampshire does not have state income taxes, and that is where 100% of your income comes from, then I would you do not have to pay state income taxes, to anyone. I could be wrong, but I do not see how Maine would have any right to this money, legally.

One thing that I have learned in my life so far is there are certain situations in which you should just keep your mouth shut. Currently, they may not be aware of your sitution. If you ask them for advice they will always tell you what is best for them - to give them your money!

I am amazed that this question keeps appearing on this and other forums. The question is not where you earn money, but where you are a legal resident. If you are a legal resident of the State of Maine, then you are subject to ALL of the laws, rules and regulations of the State of Maine.

Perhaps it would be best for the poster to review the Maine Revenue Services web site, and if still in doubt, CALL the Maine Revenue Service and ask them the question directly.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I am amazed that this question keeps appearing on this and other forums. The question is not where you earn money, but where you are a legal resident. If you are a legal resident of the State of Maine, then you are subject to ALL of the laws, rules and regulations of the State of Maine.

Perhaps it would be best for the poster to review the Maine Revenue Services web site, and if still in doubt, CALL the Maine Revenue Service and ask them the question directly.
You pay income tax to the state that you work in. Period. You can live all the that you want in Maine; but if you 'work' in New Hampshire or Delaware or Washington or the effin Moon, then you pay your income tax to them.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
When you have multiple income streams; you file taxes for each state that you have an income stream coming in from.

The state that you wish to consider yourself a resident of, is the state that you file 'resident' forms in.

Every other state that you have an income stream from you file their 'non-resident' tax forms.

Obviously I am not saying that you must actually 'pay' income taxes, I woud never say that. I do not 'pay' income taxes and over 25% of American households do not pay any income taxes. We 'file' income taxes.

Best of luck and do remember to keep yourself sheletered

Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

If you live in ME and work in NH you pay ME.
If you live in ME and work in ME you pay ME.
If you live in NH and work in ME You pay ME.
When I first moved here from MA, another resident income tax state, they prorated for the portion of the year I lived in MA, the other part to ME.
If doesn't seem fair but the way they figure it, if you work here you're subject to and eligible for certain services, DES, road, police, fire, etc. If you live here you're subject to the same and more services .

I object to the "use" tax. No state should have a right to tax your spending. Once you've earned the money and paid your tax that should be enough. MA has a sales tax that only pertains to MA sales. Why ME thinks they're entiltled to more I'll never know. And they assume that you buy in NH if you live near the border and tax you accordingly. the burden of proof for origin of purchases is on the taxpayer. Bull#@$^&.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
If you live in Maine and work in Ma....you pay both....but Mass refunds your portion to Maine and then you would pay the difference if Maine is more....or get a refund if Maine is less..

If you live in Ma and work in Maine you pay both, but then Maine will refund your taxes to Ma and again the difference would be worked out.....

basically.....you ONLY pay taxes in to the state you actually LIVE in.

The confusion lies in that getting a check in Ma even if you live in maine....Ma will withhold their taxes.......but then when you actually file where you live....like maine.....Maine will get the taxes paid to mass..from mass in a rufund.. plus any additional "if necessary" from you...

NH has no withholdings because of no state tax....so when you file...be prepard to owe Maine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: