Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,668 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the south where we have very mild winters. However, I am interviewing for a job in Maine and wanted to know about the heating costs in the winter. I see that many of the homes there are heated with oil, which I know can be quite pricey.

Any information, even ballpark, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM

428 posts, read 548,623 times
I have a 3 bedroom "saltbox" on a slab. Oil costs were about $750 this year. I also supplemented with about one cord of wood. Seasoned firewood sells for $250 - $300 in this area.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM

226 posts, read 300,151 times
This brings up a question I had... (sorry to hijack)

In all the houses I've lived in (WA & TN), heat was delivered via forced air natural gas furnace. However, I don't think I've come across a single home in Maine that has forced air heat. Is there a reason for this? I average about $150-$175/month in the winter (that includes natural gas & electric usage) to heat a 2000sq ft home in eastern Washington. Our climate is pretty similar to southern Maine's.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,383,457 times
We have a tankless water heater (fueled by propane) that provides hot water to the baseboard pipes for heat and for the pipes in the concrete floor (radiant heat). It feels warmer when compared to heat from a forced air furnace. Not so drying. We also have a wall of windows that face the south; on a sunny spring/autumn/winter day we get plenty of warmth from the sun. And in the summer, the sun is just blocked enough by trees and the roof for much of the day to keep the house a bit cooler. Propane costs were about $1200 for this year; we get a new propane contract each autumn. Our kitchen stove is propane, and we have another heating stove that runs on propane, but we don't use it much.

Propane is just one of several options for heating systems for a Maine home.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM

428 posts, read 548,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post

In all the houses I've lived in (WA & TN), heat was delivered via forced air natural gas furnace. However, I don't think I've come across a single home in Maine that has forced air heat. Is there a reason for this? I average about $150-$175/month in the winter (that includes natural gas & electric usage) to heat a 2000sq ft home in eastern Washington. Our climate is pretty similar to southern Maine's.
Here are a few considerations. Natural gas is not widely available in rural maine. Heating oil is comparatively inexpensive due to distribution channels. Baseboard hot water heating is more efficient compared to forced air. Forced air is a good choice if the house has central air as the ductwork can be used for both. Few homes in Maine have central air.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,193,308 times
Quote:

Forced air heat is quite common. It's cheaper than baseboard, and it's done with oil here.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:03 PM

226 posts, read 300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Here are a few considerations. Natural gas is not widely available in rural maine. Heating oil is comparatively inexpensive due to distribution channels. Baseboard hot water heating is more efficient compared to forced air. Forced air is a good choice if the house has central air as the ductwork can be used for both. Few homes in Maine have central air.
Interesting. Even in homes without A/C (still fairly common around here) they install ducting for forced air heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Forced air heat is quite common. It's cheaper than baseboard, and it's done with oil here.
Is it more common in higher end homes? Here's an example of a brand new home with baseboard heat: 1 40 Acres Plummer Rd, Gorham, ME 04038 - realtor.com®

In my area, the only homes with baseboard heat are apartments and older homes built pre-1970 (they use electric baseboards).

Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 PM

235 posts, read 260,655 times
Where in Maine are you interviewing? Southern coastal area has milder winters than more interior sections. Maine is very large geographically - about the same size as the rest of New England.

Just about everyone in Maine has more than one heat source and wood stoves are quite common. I can't say I've ever heard of natural gas in homes except maybe in Portland. Oil is common, propane less so.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,193,308 times
Quote:
Interesting. Even in homes without A/C (still fairly common around here) they install ducting for forced air heat.

Is it more common in higher end homes? Here's an example of a brand new home with baseboard heat: 1 40 Acres Plummer Rd, Gorham, ME 04038 - realtor.com®

In my area, the only homes with baseboard heat are apartments and older homes built pre-1970 (they use electric baseboards).
No, forced hot air is probably not in most higher end homes. It is cheaper to install.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM

37,225 posts, read 60,947,942 times
In my area LPG is equally available as fuel oil.

We burn 3 to 3 1/2 cords of firewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine